Goodbye Jesus

Deconversion For Dummies?

ConscientiousObjector

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for something that already exists on this site. This is also the first forum I've ever used and I have the internet navigation skills of a woman twice my age. I was wondering if there is a resource list for new deconverts; helpful websites, relevant books, documentaries, ect. Has anyone read Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark? I would like to get it but I'm unsure if I would understand the lingo. I've noticed that there is a music thread here called "what are you listening to?", how about starting a "Coming down from Jeebus" playlist? (specifically songs that are anti-religion, like John Lennon: Imagine or Nine Inch Nails: Terrible Lie, or promoting free thinking and science) Thanks!

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, do the grey or green reputation buttons function like the like button on facebook? Excuse my internet illiteracy, I haven't had much leisure time to figure these things out.  unsure.png

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for something that already exists on this site. This is also the first forum I've ever used and I have the internet navigation skills of a woman twice my age. I was wondering if there is a resource list for new deconverts; helpful websites, relevant books, documentaries, ect. Has anyone read Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark? I would like to get it but I'm unsure if I would understand the lingo. I've noticed that there is a music thread here called "what are you listening to?", how about starting a "Coming down from Jeebus" playlist? (specifically songs that are anti-religion, like John Lennon: Imagine or Nine Inch Nails: Terrible Lie, or promoting free thinking and science) Thanks!

That is kind of the whole forum.  If you have specific needs ask away.  Or you can looks through the old topics

to see if you like something.  The Lion's Den can be very entertaining.  The rep buttons is for when you like a

message.  You think it is clever or funny or resonates with you - whatever.  We only have votes up so everything

is positive.  And I think you only have 10 up votes per day so choose the ones you like best.

And no need to apologize for asking anything here.

Just wade in and enjoy yourself.

Welcome.

Jeff

Thanks, guys! Silly me, I didn't notice the FAQ section, hopefully that will straighten me out. I have a good understanding of evolution via natural selection (it makes so much more sense than that ridiculous fable of Adam and Eve). Can anyone point me to a layman's explanation of abiogenesis, and the Big Bang theory (or the pulsating universe theory, if science is still considering it viable). I should just google Michio Kaku to see if he has any programs discussing those subjects, he has a knack for explaining science in a way my tiny brain can comprehend.  

Thanks for the link, yunea! Sadly, the topic is closed. Perhaps I should start a new post? Ravenstar covered many of the songs a was thinking of, plus quite a few I've never heard. There are many more I'd like to add: Propagandhi: Hallie Sallasie, Up Your A$$, Motorhead: Don't Need Religion, Pistol Grip: Crucifixion Politix, NoFX: The Idiots are Taking Over, Frank Zappa: Jesus Thinks you're a Jerk, and Catholic Girls, Rage Against the Machine: Killing in the Name, Sting: If I ever Lose my Faith in You, umm, yeah, I could probably go on forever. I just found a few good ones by Ziggy Marley that I'd never heard of. Ravenstar, if you ever read this, I like music too! You could say I'm musically promiscuous! woohoo.gif  

Glad you liked it! There's no need to start a new topic, our great mods can re-open any closed topics if asked nicely. :) I sure have a lot of new music to get into as a result of that thread, which is exactly what I was hoping for when I started it. jesus.gif

So how does one go about contacting the mods? Intense prayer? "Oh holy mods, grant me your favor" 17.gif Sorry, I'm a dork and running on very little sleep lately.

Jaseph, thanks, I'll look into that. I watched a vid posted on here by Purplefox (think I got that name right). It was very intense, made me glad I was never that immersed in christianity to begin with. I honestly had trouble figuring out if churchy types were having an honest-to-goodness religious experience, or were just totally nuts!!! I don't intend that as a slur, I'm pretty off-kilter myself. freak3.gif  

You can try to send them a PM. Otherwise I see them a lot here, they'll probably read your post here! ;)

Yeah I've also seen PurpleFox's videos. Intense indeed! I loved his material though, he expresses the emotional side of christianity and of deconversion very well. To me it was an emotional roller coaster as well, not the same as his, but I recognize a lot of what he describes.

Cool that you'll check Evid3nc3's material out, I'm curious to hear what you think of it! :)