Goodbye Jesus

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me

Ravenstar

Make sure when you paint it that Jesus' eyes follow everybody!

• Like 1

Ravenstar,

It seems like his original 1950's style logo as well as the idea to put a picture of Jesus on his truck are both bad business ideas.  Perhaps you could mention that in a subtle way and help him find a third alternative.

You could also say that you don't feel comfortable creating an image of our lord and saviour jesus christ.

• Like 1

Hi, Ravenstar,

I like the way you are being proactive in trying to get business. That will be very helpful to you.

Here are a few things I have learned over the years. Some of these have already been addressed by others.

1. Make sure you have a written agreement which spells out the details. Some of those details should be to describe what you will be doing, the total cost of the work and payment schedule (i.e., 50% at the signing and the remaining 50% upon completion of the job), whether there is a warranty and the time limit on the warranty, and start date and estimated completion date. Also, if you are designing the logo for your customer, who owns the copyright? I would assume most businesses want to own the logo's copyright and maybe even have it registered as a trademark. But I would think you would want to reserve the right to display it in your portfolio, webpage, etc., as an example of your work. You should have a provision in your agreement addressing that issue. Both you and the customer should sign the agreement and make sure you keep a copy of it (you'd be surprised at how many business people do not keep copies of important documents).

2. Make sure you photograph your work. That will help you in promoting your business, but will serve another important purpose. If the customer should complain about something later, that photo will be your evidence of what you turned over to your customer.

3. My experience has been that most people who put heavy emphasis on their Christianity in their business dealings are the absolute worst customers you can imagine.

4. The average person does not appreciate how much time, thought, and work goes into making a creative product. They often think it takes just a little time to slap something together. Therefore, when you quote a price, you may want to elaborate a little about what you will be doing so the customer sees what goes into doing the work.

Good luck with your business

My opinion: he's a hack and a wanna-be entrepreneur. I've seen a LOT of Christians attempt to start some ridiculous business in some attempt to "spread the word" because "Gawd gave them a vision" or some other stupid reason like that.

Great observation. Looking back, many years ago on two separate occasions I helped guys start businesses like this. Both were for home cleaning/maid services. You make me realize that this line of work is actually low-skilled and requires little startup cost, sort of like Ravenstar's guy with a truck. You might be on to something here -- a seemingly easy business that god is going to make easy for them. But no, I don't know where those two guys are now, or if their businesses survived or anything. Curious concept.

Putting the face of a homeless guy on a moving company logo just seems wrong to me.

• Like 5

Putting the face of a homeless guy on a moving company logo just seems wrong to me.

Took me a second, but then yelrotflmao.gif

• Like 1

He did it… (on his website)  ahahahahahaha.  TOO funny

No, he never got back to me (and I'm grateful), but if you want to check out his new logo.. it's here:  www.suprememovers.ca

Thank you all for the amazing advice!

ps… I did send a note to Canstock, about their graphic (they are pretty clear about their stuff being used as logos or trademarks). They can do what they like about it… it's off my conscience.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Our "Principals?"

Jesus has such finely chiseled cheekbones and such a well trimmed beard; and so tall like a European.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that his website and logo are that clean.

I don't think he's charging enough to do all the charity work he wants to do. I wish his motives weren't Christian-based, but I'll actually wish him luck on achieving his goal(s).

I'm wondering who he got to do his website, and for what small price. Probably conned some kid at his church or something.

And the logo, OMG. What a laugh. Thanks for sharing.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I agree with everyone here. That's a copywrited image and you could try explaining that to him,..maybe suggest to him an image of movers but with a cross or some type of religious symbol thrown in there. There's a huge market for christian businesses, and explaining to your client that throwing subtle, non-copywrited images and symbols may be the better way to go. I hope the dude will listen to reason, as he appears insane, but you can't always judge based on your first impression. Thanks for sharing. I laughed so hard.

Looks like a pre-fab website to me. He just filled in the copy.