Goodbye Jesus

Baby Bird Adventure

hereticzero

One day, April 30, 2015, three baby robins were born. Their mama fed them bugs and life was good.

birdsapril302015.jpg 1518257_10206906507248093_6031727147046034991_o.jpg 11161715_10206906738573876_4915744382565751318_o.jpg

11201130_10206906563169491_5399935797982358088_o.jpg

• Like 4

Then one day a terrible windy storm came and destroyed the nest, spilling baby birds onto the ground where they lay helpless, cold, and dying.

Then a man and his wife found the babies and brought them into their home. One baby had been attacked by a cat while laying on the ground, died two days later.

10259200_10206924229091128_1008569994090353184_o.jpg

And the only survivor, a female, survived.

birdsmay82015.jpg ma102015.jpg

• Like 4

She quickly made friends with her rescuers and began to grow and eat, and eat, and eat, and grow.

11088493_10206956108968105_7841443108960270995_o.jpg may132015.jpg

And she stretched her wings as her feathers grew, waiting for the day when she could fly.

may122015.jpg

• Like 3

Then came the day, she began to build a nest and feed herself.

may172015.jpg 11020776_10207017220375852_5364107837556260621_o.jpg

And when she was ready, after a final 'good bye' and enough worms to fill her belly, she was let loose to return to the trees.

11090987_10207017220455854_7439672714000244711_o (1).jpg 11221793_10207021418520803_4199715406705535881_o.jpg 11226210_10207021419760834_1937731924624706743_o.jpg

And, we hope she lives happily ever after...

• Like 3

There is little sadder than seeing a baby bird fallen from its nest So glad the two of you rescued them and very happy one has survived. It looks like a baby Robin. Am I correct?

Having been taken care of like that, she has the very best chance to make it on her own. Such a happy story.

Just to clarify, one bird died from exposure, a second bird died from injuries from predation, and the third survived.

Yes, baby robins.

I have been thinking more about this beautiful thread. Some years ago, a friend did something similar. He and his family rescued a baby bird that had fallen from the nest and, like you, their goal was to eventually return it to live a natural life in the wild. They cared for it, helped it learn to fly, helped it learn the natural foods to eat, and when the time was right, just like you, they set it free. I remember my friend told me that the bird returned periodically. They were so happy to see that it had found a mate and raised several seasons of chicks to adulthood. I wish the same for your little feathered friend.

She wasn't quite a fledgling when her nest was destroyed, otherwise I would have left her to go back to mama. I generally have a hands-off policy when it comes to wildlife. But the nest was never found, I knew where it belonged and the other chicks were laying all over the yard--it was a really wild thunderstorm that spawned tornadoes across our state. We had our doubts any of the chicks would survive and it took several hours bundled on a hot pad before the chicks (the two who survived, except one later died from injuries to its head) began to move around and beg for food. The injured one ate for almost two days until it died. The survivor we fed for nine days. It ate 3 to 4 dozen fishing worms a day (1 1/2 containers).

Walmart sold out its worms the night I found the chicks (3 containers I think?). The bird within a week had progressed to night crawlers. Walmart worms are almost $4 for three dozen small fishing worms. The local bait shop sold night crawlers $7 for two dozen. I bought 12 dozen or six containers, and the bird ate them up to the day she left. When she started pecking strings out of the rugs and trying to build a nest, I knew she had to get outside so she could learn what to do from other robins. You don't have to teach them anything, just feed them to keep healthy. I fed her protein, worms and grubs mostly. I have read on the internet where others feed a combination of nuts, berries, worms, mixed with canned cat or dog food, but I did not want to feed her anything a bird did not eat which is NOT dog food from a can. Canned dog food is unhealthy for a dog to eat! So we fed her by hand, everyday, many times a day when she was hungry. Also, don't feed the baby bird WATER! You will drown them. They will learn to drink water when they want to and older. My eyes bugged out of my head when I read someone asked how to get a chick to drink.

My wife and I are disabled and stay at home mostly, the average retired couple probably, so we had nothing to do but watch the bird. We watched her feathers grow out. It was like watching a rose bloom in slow motion! Seeing her fly off was worth the cost and effort. She has returned to the roof of the garage next door and watches us when we are outside. We have seen her three or four times now. She appears healthy.

I also have to warn others it is unlawful to do what we did. But because the chicks appeared to have been attacked by a cat and dead and dying from exposure, then it became a necessity so we did what we could. I also notified the state Wildlife Rehab Center, whom has never responded by the way. I have had experience caring for birds, I raised canaries years ago and have also had a green parrot for several years. Once you commit yourself to the care of an animal, you cannot change your mind because of cost or inconvenience. Had I not been able to afford the cost of caring for this bird or found it overwhelming, I would have contacted Game and Fish for help. If you find baby animals, birds or mammals, by its self, leave it alone. Chances are mama has left it only to find food. She hasn't lost it. I have found baby deer in my yard in Wyoming, so not every baby is an orphan. Mama birds drag their kids out of the nest to make them learn to hunt for food and fly. If you find a 'pinkie', newly hatched bird, on the ground and if it's still alive you can return it safely to its nest, which should be close by. Song birds do not detect human scent, so don't believe the myth of birds not taking a chick because of human scent. Few birds, such as vultures, rely on scent or sense of smell. It's all about color and sound. Facial and body markings. Almost every bird for at least a block or two, if it's in a tall enough tree, sees you as soon as you step out your back door. Birds don't care what you smell like and are happy to get their chicks back in the nest. A fledgling may be getting an education by the parent birds on feeding itself and flying. They hop around in the yard to stretch their wings to fly and to learn to feed itself. I wouldn't force-feed an animal. It lives or it dies if has no will to live. 

Fascinating story. I have never had that experience of raising a wild bird as you and your wife did. My biggest surprise is the voracious appetite of that little bird. The bird parents have a full time job just keeping their young fed. Your story inspires me to put out a bird feeder because I know there are a good number of bird pairs in the trees and bushes in and around my house. I am sure the parents Ppreciate any help with the feeding.

Thanks for sharing the details of this story. I have enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures. Also, I think you gave solid advice on the issue.