Goodbye Jesus

You

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

The world doesn't need another mask; it has plenty of masks in it already. From supermodels on the catwalk to winos in the gutter: there are more than enough masks to satisfy the shallowness and hollowness of human depravity. They're all lying to themselves; congratulating themselves on having become something they were never intended to be.

Self-deception, self-delusion, self-deprecation--these are the cardinal sins of humanity.

What the world DOES need is one "you": one singular, individual expression of self-awareness characterized by the unique set of traits and talents possessed solely by the specific arrangement of genes, the peculiar fusion of gametes, that produced your person. THIS is the end-game of genetic variation, nature, and nurture; the pinnacle of the evolutionary imperative.

There is only one person who can fulfill the role of "you", in the face of, and for the benefit of this world. That person is YOU. I cannot fill that role for you; neither can you fill my role for me. We can both attempt to fill roles we were not designed for; but to do so is to deny, nay, betray, who we really are, and to deprive those around us of the uniqueness of ourselves.

The very qualities you would hide are often enough the very experiences, strength, and hope needed by those around you. By being anything other than your complete and total "self", you cheapen the human experience and demean the value of your peers. For only you can experience life in a way that is unlike the experience of any other; and only you can bring your particular perspective of life into the lives of your fellows.

There is only ONE unforgivable sin: the sin of betraying who you really are. It is unforgivable for you, because there is no "you" to receive forgiveness. Redemption lies only in being true to yourself.

It is not enough to merely express yourself. You must know the intimacies and intricacies of what and who it is you are expressing in order to be of maximum service and benefit to those who would seek to know you.

Live this day as only you can live it.

• Like 6

Awesome.  Thank you.

RP, a bit of Gestalt psychology on your post (i.e., changing the third person to the first person), for fun and for a different perspective:

The world doesn't need another mask; it has plenty of masks in it already. From supermodels on the catwalk to winos in the gutter: there are more than enough masks to satisfy the shallowness and hollowness of human depravity. They're all lying to themselves; congratulating themselves on having become something they were never intended to be.

Self-deception, self-delusion, self-deprecation--these are the cardinal sins of humanity.

What the world DOES need is one "me": one singular, individual expression of self-awareness characterized by the unique set of traits and talents possessed solely by the specific arrangement of genes, the peculiar fusion of gametes, that produced my person. THIS is the end-game of genetic variation, nature, and nurture; the pinnacle of the evolutionary imperative.

There is only one person who can fulfill the role of "me", in the face of, and for the benefit of this world. That person is ME. Others cannot fill that role for me; neither can I fill my role for others. I can attempt to fill roles I was not designed for; but to do so is to deny, nay, betray, who I really am, and to deprive those around me of the uniqueness of myself.

The very qualities I would hide are often enough the very experiences, strength, and hope needed by those around me. By being anything other than my complete and total "self", I cheapen the human experience and demean the value of my peers. For only I can experience life in a way that is unlike the experience of others; and only I can bring my particular perspective of life into the lives of my fellows.

There is only ONE unforgivable sin: the sin of betraying who I really am. It is unforgivable for me, because there is no "me" to receive forgiveness. Redemption lies only in being true to myself.

It is not enough to merely express myself. I must know the intimacies and intricacies of what and who it is I am expressing in order to be of maximum service and benefit to those who would seek to know me.

Live this day as only I can live it.

What has brought this on?  Just strikes me as the sort of comment that is usually motivated by some specific event or situation.  I may be completely wrong on that, of course.

Anyhow, I have my doubts whether many know which part of themselves is the reality and which part the mask.

• Super Moderator

RP, a bit of Gestalt psychology on your post (i.e., changing the third person to the first person), for fun and for a different perspective:

(snip)

Well, that would certainly be one option.  Of course, another option might be for you to get over your incessant need to critique the works of others while producing nothing of merit yourself.  It might prove difficult at first; but, bless your heart, I've got faith in you.

Incidentally, for future reference, when a writer is directly addressing the audience (reader), use of the second person "you" is most appropriate.  For fun and for a different perspective:

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/howto/guidelines/FederalPLGuidelines/writeYou.cfm

(snip)

Well, that would certainly be one option.  Of course, another option might be for you to get over your incessant need to critique the works of others while producing nothing of merit yourself.  It might prove difficult at first; but, bless your heart, I've got faith in you.

Incidentally, for future reference, when a writer is directly addressing the audience (reader), use of the second person "you" is most appropriate.  For fun and for a different perspective:

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/howto/guidelines/FederalPLGuidelines/writeYou.cfm

You apparently had an uncomfortable time reading what you wrote once changed into the first person.  If so, what I "produced" in the post above certainly had some merit.

Yes, when projecting, the use of the second person "you" is quite useful.

• Super Moderator

You apparently had an uncomfortable time reading what you wrote once changed into the first person.  If so, what I "produced" in the post above certainly had some merit.

Yes, when projecting, the use of the second person "you" is quite useful.

If you were half the psychologist you are pretending to be, then it might have occurred to you that I did realize these ideas for and about myself quite some time ago.  It might also have occurred to you that I took some time to implement the changes in my own life necessary to support in deed what I have written here in word (you will note my marked absence from this site over the past couple of months).  It may even have occurred to you that I acted with such deliberation, before expressing these ideas for the benefit of others, in order to gain the experience, strength and hope to help others implement these ideas into their own lives.  Since none of this occurred to you, as is evident in your own responses, it is reasonable to conclude that your grasp of psychology is not nearly as profound as you have presumed it to be.

Secondly, since you fancy yourself as a literary critic, I would expect you to know that copying someone else's work and merely changing a word or two here and there, as you have done, is not producing a work of merit yourself.  Rather, this is known as plagiarism, which most college freshmen know to avoid.  Again, based on the evidence of your own response, it is clear that your grasp of literary criticism also falls well short of the mark.

It is clear, therefore, that your own demonstrated ignorance disqualifies you from both of the roles you have tried to play here.  In light of this, I would highly encourage you to stop pretending to be something you are clearly not.  I might add that this was the very message conveyed in my original post, which message you obviously overlooked in your great haste to project your own insecurities onto me.  If, however, you choose to continue pretending to be both a psychologist and a literary critic, you may want to consider actually being right once in a while.  Doing so would help you fill both roles much more effectively.