Goodbye Jesus

Goliath's Skull Found?

IGNYTE

My Christian dad sent me this screenshot where a certain scientist Dr. Richard Martin discovered Goliath's skull in the "foothills of the Judaean Mountains".

This news report was from Weekly World News and from my current research online so far, it is a tabloid news agency and most of their news are exaggerated way beyond the truth (according to Wikipedia). 

However, I would like to know if there are any reliable sources that directly disprove/prove their claims instead of attacking their reliability.

Link: https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/zxYtEjHAJUpfwhg0YQdXSAHQBYPBmsNZ/IMG-20150527-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20150527-WA0001.jpg

Well, um. The Weekly World News has also had the headlines "Hillary Clinton adopts Alien Baby" and "News Reporter Eaten Alive By 80ft Dinosaur".

Plus it seems that it's a different skull in every picture I find about this. Even in the screenshot the colour picture seems to have a different skull in it than the b/w pics. 

Another funny thing is that the WWN article is from 1993 but in 2011 there was this: 

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/11/in-israel-archaeologists-unearth-bibles-bad-guys/

• Super Moderator

bat-boy-WWN.jpeg

Hahaha, good one Florduh.

original.jpg

Anyhow, as for directly disproving the claims, wasn't the alleged Goliath's skull found in the wrong place, when you compare the tabloid story to the Bible story? 

This is obviously satire. The bible says that Goliath was roughly 9 feet tall. There is no way his skull would be that big. That skull in the top picture would more likely be from a human who was over 30 feet tall. I 've stood next to a guy who was 7'1" and proportionally, his skull wasn't that much bigger than mine. The same would hold true for Goliath's head over the 7'1' guy I am referring to.

• Super Moderator

However, I would like to know if there are any reliable sources that directly disprove/prove their claims instead of attacking their reliability.

This "news" source never prints the truth about anything. It is a joke of journalism. The reliability of the source of the claim is paramount. Who is Dr. Richard Martin? Is that a real person and does he have credentials? What does carbon dating say about the age of this alleged find? Is there any corroboration from legitimate sources or is this yellow journalism rag the only party privy to this astounding find?

It's just absurdly silly. Can you say "Photoshop?" Christians are well know for latching on to any ridiculous thing that might justify their unfounded, blind faith. This is a stretch, though, even for the most rabid of Christian apologists.

I only wish the Bible was satire.  By the way the top photo in the OP is photo shopped.  It's a cropped

version of a much larger photo.  In the larger version the shadows don't line up.  In other words the light

source was in a different direction for the two men.  That can't happen in reality.

Okay I found the "original" that the top photo was cropped from.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FC8wWsBKc88/maxresdefault.jpg

Notice how the guy on the right has the left side of his head shaded?  His light source is coming from the upper right.

The guy on the left has his right side shaded.  His light source is coming from the upper left.

The great big skull isn't strongly shaded on either the left or the right.  It's light source is directly over head.

The sun must have been in three places at the same time or else this is fake.

The photo shopper added fake shadows on the ground under the two men but he messed up and the angle

doesn't agree.  So that would mean the sun is now in five different places at the same time.

It is even more noticeable if you look at the two worker's backs.  The guy on the right has his back (the right side)

in full, bright light.  The one on the left has his back (the left side) in full, bright light.  Whoever cropped the photo

for the Weekly World News had the good sense to cut out most of the bad shadows from the pic.

Notice how the Christian sending the text claims that the skull in the top photo is the same skull in the bottom photos?

Now look at the teeth of the top photo.  The lower jaw on the right side has nice teeth.  They are well formed.  All very 

clear.  Now look at the two pics of the bottom skull.  Where are the well formed teeth on the lower jaw, right side?  That

skull has it's lower right teeth falling apart.  They did not get preserved.  Thus these are not the same skull.

Why must Christianity be supported by lies and fraud?

Those "giant" skulls have been proven photochop frauds on the internet for over 10 years.

Plus, if your dad is going to believe that, should he not get ALL of his news from that same paper from now on? It's obviously the only reliable one...especially according to Men In Black.

This is obviously satire. The bible says that Goliath was roughly 9 feet tall. There is no way his skull would be that big. That skull in the top picture would more likely be from a human who was over 30 feet tall. I 've stood next to a guy who was 7'1" and proportionally, his skull wasn't that much bigger than mine. The same would hold true for Goliath's head over the 7'1' guy I am referring to.

Didn't you know that Goliath was a living form of a bobble head?

Didn't you know that Goliath was a living form of a bobble head?

Damn! You got me. I never thought of that. Now the pictures make total sense. Back to Church I go...

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Of course this story is ludicrous, but just for fun let's say it's true. I must still ask, so what? Would the existence of a gigantic skull make Christianity valid? Judaism? Would it make the other Bible tales of talking snakes, the Ark and virgin birth also true?

Haha, funny shit. The topmost pic, aside from being different from the two lower pics, is from a photoshop contest IIRC. Back when i was a believer and conspiracy nut, images of giant skeletons aka the Nephilim were frequently posted on conspiracy forums. Googling it up, turns out, were pics taken from a photoshop contest by some trolls who turned it into an chain e-mail hoax, thus ending up in the hands of millions of gullible people who continued to spread the fake story. I believed it back then, swallowed it line, hook and sinker and I feel extremely stupid now. These amayzing stories pop up in the masses each year only to be found uncredible or outright hoaxes.

So I presume hoax.

This "news" source never prints the truth about anything. It is a joke of journalism. The reliability of the source of the claim is paramount. Who is Dr. Richard Martin? Is that a real person and does he have credentials? What does carbon dating say about the age of this alleged find? Is there any corroboration from legitimate sources or is this yellow journalism rag the only party privy to this astounding find?

It's just absurdly silly. Can you say "Photoshop?" Christians are well know for latching on to any ridiculous thing that might justify their unfounded, blind faith. This is a stretch, though, even for the most rabid of Christian apologists.

"Best investigative reporting on the planet. Oh, you can try the New York Times, they get lucky every once in a while."

"I can't believe this, we're experts and looking for tips in the supermarket tabloids."

"Not looking for...found." - Men in Black

Sorry, that just popped in my head when you wrote that.

Using the Weekly World News as a source to verify the Bible? One make-believe source "verifying" another make-believe source? Priceless. 

• Like 1

Now if they would hire a decent photoshop expert… lol

Just one more thought occurred to me. It's so common that Christians say "you can't disprove god!" and they should be asked "can you give evidence of god?"

So if someone asks for ways to disprove the Goliath skull...well I want evidence of it first, as bad photoshopping isn't evidence.

Speaking of, I had a weird conversation about David and Solomon's tomb, as if they hadn't been more or less known for ages...

More Bible proof!!   I heard they found King Solomon's temple.  It was on the side of his head!

• Like 2

More Bible proof!! I heard they found King Solomon's temple. It was on the side of his head!

1381943727_26-you-youre-good-facebook-co

• Like 1