Goodbye Jesus

God Is Good. All The Time......all The Time. God Is Good.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Guest end3

E3, I did not rewrite Genesis 3 as I see fit. I just took an old myth from bronze age Palestine designed to bring guilt to people just for being HUMAN, and I drew a parellel to modern society, taking the EXACT SAME ELEMENTS of the story. Anyone with a brain can see that its the same damn story. Its just that the main character is a human, and a crazy one at that. If you can not see my point, that if we took the same personality traits that were assigned to God 3500 years ago and gave them to a human...that it makes the human look like an asshole, then you are too fogged up by religion and there's no point continuing this discussion. It is just going to go nowhere.

I see your point fine. We are left to speculating why God subjected humanity to evil....it will remain speculation. Personally, I think he wanted to create an entity with his capacity.....a friend....i.e. it's lonely at the top.....hence the subjection. It appears you have chosen sides. Happy life and don't smoke to much of that good and evil weed or it will end in death.

E3, you don't need to speculate, it's all there in the Bible. You can twist and shout all you want, but you can't change what's written. You have to accept it as it is and either believe it or don't believe it.

Have you ever wondered why a perfect, complete, all knowing God would get lonely? If he has needs, he ain't God.

The Christian faith isn't tenable no matter how you approach it. Why don't you just accept that?

Not on this one D. If it's in the Bible, please show me the stated reason for tempting A&E. Blessings as always.

Also, not one of you have said what would be the outcome had A&E just done what God had said.....They would have still been in the Garden, "naked and afraid"....lol.

No End, God didn't tempt them. He left them helpless and unable to do what he demanded. He didn't give them the knowledge to be able to comprehend good and evil, then commanded them to do good.

If you want to see a real good analogy on this, read the OP.

Yeah, God created it all I gather, so it was his responsibility. Where are those verses I asked for.

Where are those verses I asked for... please?

There's no point taking the verse in question literally or metaphorically, End.  You're ****ed either way!

But seeing you try should be entertaining!  (Schadenfreude)

Wendybanghead.gif

Yeah, God created it all I gather, so it was his responsibility. Where are those verses I asked for.

I would be happy to look up any Bible verse you need.  However if I do the work will you simply do what

you always do and ignore the Bible verses that make God look bad?

• Super Moderator

I'm disappointed in you, End3.  Did you not learn anything from the "God Is a Liar" thread or the "God's Mighty Plan of Salvation" thread?  I worked really hard on those two threads, just for you, because I love you soooo much... like jesus does... only I'm real.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

E3, I did not rewrite Genesis 3 as I see fit. I just took an old myth from bronze age Palestine designed to bring guilt to people just for being HUMAN, and I drew a parellel to modern society, taking the EXACT SAME ELEMENTS of the story. Anyone with a brain can see that its the same damn story. Its just that the main character is a human, and a crazy one at that. If you can not see my point, that if we took the same personality traits that were assigned to God 3500 years ago and gave them to a human...that it makes the human look like an asshole, then you are too fogged up by religion and there's no point continuing this discussion. It is just going to go nowhere.

Message #30: Sylens recognizes the thread having the possibility of going nowhere. Many many pages of nowhere, most likely. :)

Lmaooooo I love you Midnight! Its so true tho! Look! We can't help ourselves. *shrugs* oh well. Fuck it. Let's just keep going several more pages till we get bored of this.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I picked a bad thread to not have any upvotes left. Someone get a hold of WebmDave right now and tell him I'll pay $20 for just ten more!!!

Lol Dude I know right! I burned through my upvotes in seconds on this thread. ROFL y'all are awesome. Wish I could borrow up votes for the week and throw them all down here.

I see your point fine. We are left to speculating why God subjected humanity to evil....it will remain speculation. Personally, I think he wanted to create an entity with his capacity.....a friend....i.e. it's lonely at the top.....hence the subjection. It appears you have chosen sides. Happy life and don't smoke to much of that good and evil weed or it will end in death.

No. Just, no. Clearly, you missed my point ENTIRELY. We are NOT speculating as to WHY God subjected us to evil, or allowed evil in this world. I was making a point about the "goodness of God" as displayed in the bible. In order to make a judgment on whether a person is "good" or "bad", we humans look at the behavior of said person and weigh his actions, good or bad, and whichever side of that scale is heaviest, that's what determines " good" or "bad". Since God's holy text, the Bible, is supposed to be everything we need to know about God and his standard for morality, we should be able to look at His actions in the bible to see His " goodness" displayed...correct? So the first couple chapters we see god creating the world, then he creates people and over in chapter 3 we see his FIRST interaction with his creation. If you think of God as a mature, adult, parental figure, and Adam and Eve as innocent children (doesn't matter that they were adults, they were basically sheltered in paradise, never knowing danger, good, evil, or any abstract concept like that) then my parable IS THE EXACT SAME STORY. God gave his innocent creatures a test designed for them to fail and punished them for it. IS THAT "GOOD?" To sit there and defend this story and say that the god of the bible is "good" is just deluded. And this is just ONE. I have many more posts like this one coming. These ancient myths are just that. Myths. And religious fundamentalists have been using them to manipulate and control people for thousands of years. But I digress. Thanks for playing, E3, but you lose. Your religion cripples your intellect in this battle of logic. Come and try again when you have an open mind.

PS: Fun fact: there are no documented cases of deaths resulting in THC overdose, aka- "smoking too much of that good and evil weed."

P.p.s: LIFE ends in death, so enjoy it!

You said the conversation would end up nowhere....which it will BECAUSE, and REGARDLESS of the God is good mantra, that ultimately the conversation ends up, why did God subject humanity to evil. You did not lose me with your "original point".....I just jumped to the end.

Look, if I were God, then certainly I would be and AM extremely protective of my children....but there comes a time where we are left to letting them interact with the world and everything that means. I don't, and neither should you I would gather, that they remain unknowing and unable to choose life over death, freedom over fear. I can see your point, and can see it clearly from a human perspective...but I would hope that you don't get mired in the sludge of standing in one place to garner your ultimate/finished perspective. We good?

We 'should' know good from evil. So why is this a sin? Oh right, god's arbitrary decision.

Good threads, Prof!

Even if End refuses to read them, I reckon sylensikeelyoo should.

And my, 'God's Secret Law in Eden' thread too.

Matthew 7 : 6 seems appropriate for End.

We 'should' know good from evil. So why is this a sin? Oh right, god's arbitrary decision.

Exactly!  Sin is defined as whatever God hates.  If God is cool with a husband raping his wife then it isn't a 

sin.  And if God hates it when you work on Saturday then working of Saturday deserved death until God 

changed his mind.  And if God hates it when you ignore God's gospel message then ignoring the message

is a sin.

You're the Christian, shouldn't you be showing me verses? Besides, I maintain that God didn't 'tempt' A&E, so I really don't think there are any verses to support that. What God did is leave his innocent creation with nothing to prevent them from "sinning", and then curse them for doing so, and you already know exactly which verses tell us about that.

If you are so protective of your children, I hope you do better by them than God did by his first two.

Guest end3

I'm disappointed in you, End3.  Did you not learn anything from the "God Is a Liar" thread or the "God's Mighty Plan of Salvation" thread?  I worked really hard on those two threads, just for you, because I love you soooo much... like jesus does... only I'm real.

I've forgotten our point Prof. that we derived. Something about Eve had no choice. Anyhow, it's not out of disrespect, I'm just aging.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

No. Just, no. Clearly, you missed my point ENTIRELY. We are NOT speculating as to WHY God subjected us to evil, or allowed evil in this world. I was making a point about the "goodness of God" as displayed in the bible. In order to make a judgment on whether a person is "good" or "bad", we humans look at the behavior of said person and weigh his actions, good or bad, and whichever side of that scale is heaviest, that's what determines " good" or "bad". Since God's holy text, the Bible, is supposed to be everything we need to know about God and his standard for morality, we should be able to look at His actions in the bible to see His " goodness" displayed...correct? So the first couple chapters we see god creating the world, then he creates people and over in chapter 3 we see his FIRST interaction with his creation. If you think of God as a mature, adult, parental figure, and Adam and Eve as innocent children (doesn't matter that they were adults, they were basically sheltered in paradise, never knowing danger, good, evil, or any abstract concept like that) then my parable IS THE EXACT SAME STORY. God gave his innocent creatures a test designed for them to fail and punished them for it. IS THAT "GOOD?" To sit there and defend this story and say that the god of the bible is "good" is just deluded. And this is just ONE. I have many more posts like this one coming. These ancient myths are just that. Myths. And religious fundamentalists have been using them to manipulate and control people for thousands of years. But I digress. Thanks for playing, E3, but you lose. Your religion cripples your intellect in this battle of logic. Come and try again when you have an open mind.PS: Fun fact: there are no documented cases of deaths resulting in THC overdose, aka- "smoking too much of that good and evil weed."P.p.s: LIFE ends in death, so enjoy it!
You said the conversation would end up nowhere....which it will BECAUSE, and REGARDLESS of the God is good mantra, that ultimately the conversation ends up, why did God subject humanity to evil. You did not lose me with your "original point".....I just jumped to the end.Look, if I were God, then certainly I would be and AM extremely protective of my children....but there comes a time where we are left to letting them interact with the world and everything that means. I don't, and neither should you I would gather, that they remain unknowing and unable to choose life over death, freedom over fear. I can see your point, and can see it clearly from a human perspective...but I would hope that you don't get mired in the sludge of standing in one place to garner your ultimate/finished perspective. We good?

Look, if I were God, I wouldn't be a self-absorbed, emotionally unstable, sadistic, judgmental prick. I wouldn't play all these games with my creation and fuck with their heads. (If you're not convinced that the Adam and Eve story was a divine head game, read Genesis 22. More on that later)

I wouldn't tell my creation that they are " bad" and "flawed", yet created in my image. I would be able to forgive and love them without needing innocent creatures to be slaughtered to appease me. I wouldn't require death to be the only way to atone for sin. That is not love. Forgiveness should flow freely if TRUE LOVE is there. In fact, I wouldn't sit in one little spot in the cosmos, picking on the tiny creatures on this one little blue speck I made ages ago.

I agree with you. " There comes a time when they are left to interact with thw world and all that means"...There comes a time when you need to just let your children do what they do and love them anyway. Bad choices yeild their own consequences, and there's no need for a diety with infinite goodness and infinite wisdom to add to those consequences. That is MANIPULATION. it is NOT "good".

Exactly! Sin is defined as whatever God hates. If God is cool with a husband raping his wife then it isn't a

sin. And if God hates it when you work on Saturday then working of Saturday deserved death until God

changed his mind. And if God hates it when you ignore God's gospel message then ignoring the message

is a sin.

And something about polyester blend. ;)

Wait a second...

Now I might be a bit slow but it just dawned on me that if people are really arguing that Adam and Eve didn't know any sort of good nor evil until after they ate the fruit (which makes sense here) then there is no reason to think they should actually know that god was supposedly good and trust him.  Even if they knew he created them and everything else that doesn't mean they can automatically know he is all-good and trust him above and beyond all other things.  Even the parent analogy fails from the perspective of Adam and Eve.  All things truly are equal here.  They simply can't know the difference between god and the serpent or rather, to them, there is no difference between god and the serpent.  We may as well imagine two identical serpents laid out the instructions or two identical gods did and they simply chose to eat the fruit over not eating the fruit.  There is no good over evil or evil or good choice here.

So, to them as they lack the ability, one neither good nor evil thing says to not eat the fruit and another neither good nor evil thing says it is okay to eat the fruit.  How could anyone possibly make what we're to understand is the correct decision?  The only thing is one of these two neither good nor evil things has going for it is it is a (hidden) greater force.  It has the greater ability to inflict its will.  Which it ultimately does.

mwc

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Oh yeah, Mymistake and Midnight, don't forget, God destroyed a whole entire city because of "immorality" and four, wait, three, were spared (one of the four got turned into salt because she looked at the city, never mind no one told her there was going to be a consequence that severe JUST FOR LOOKING at something)....Not long after this, these three "righteous" people, a father and two daughters were living in a cave because their home was wiped off the face of the earth. The two daughters then date raped their father. Twice. I am not exaggerating. Read Genesis 19. I'm sure you two have read it already. But yeah. "Sin" in the bible appears to be very subjective to the culture and time period the text was written. This doesn't sound very "divine inspired".

Guest end3

Wait a second...

Now I might be a bit slow but it just dawned on me that if people are really arguing that Adam and Eve didn't know any sort of good nor evil until after they ate the fruit (which makes sense here) then there is no reason to think they should actually know that god was supposedly good and trust him.  Even if they knew he created them and everything else that doesn't mean they can automatically know he is all-good and trust him above and beyond all other things.  Even the parent analogy fails from the perspective of Adam and Eve.  All things truly are equal here.  They simply can't know the difference between god and the serpent or rather, to them, there is no difference between god and the serpent.  We may as well imagine two identical serpents laid out the instructions or two identical gods did and they simply chose to eat the fruit over not eating the fruit.  There is no good over evil or evil or good choice here.

So, to them as they lack the ability, one neither good nor evil thing says to not eat the fruit and another neither good nor evil thing says it is okay to eat the fruit.  How could anyone possibly make what we're to understand is the correct decision?  The only thing is one of these two neither good nor evil things has going for it is it is a (hidden) greater force.  It has the greater ability to inflict its will.  Which it ultimately does.

mwc

Well we have asked what the image of God means and no one has submitted the specifics. Which leads us to knowing Christ in order to understand God.

Guest end3

I agree with you. " There comes a time when they are left to interact with thw world and all that means"...There comes a time when you need to just let your children do what they do and love them anyway. Bad choices yeild their own consequences, and there's no need for a diety with infinite goodness and infinite wisdom to add to those consequences. That is MANIPULATION. it is NOT "good".

You can't tell me that you raised your children without instruction. Was that manipulation?

I like you silenskyvoo but you are going to have to hook it up....you and your fundamentalist atheist mind....lol.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I like you too, E3. You just made my beer squirt out my nose, I'm laughing so hard. Dammit. :D "fundamentalist atheist?" Wooooow. I am faaaar from fundamentals. That's a big reason for my big bad apostasy. I like to think I have an open mind, and I was hoping you'd open yours up too, or at least long enough to stop regurgitating fundamental christian doctrine. Sorry to sound harsh, but my christian experience was one of pain and abuse and the wounds are still a little fresh, so I may come off as crass, but I mean no disrespect. My snarkiness comes from a place of pain caused by people who talk JUST. LIKE. YOU.

Now, to answer your question, I guide and direct my children. I do not just boss them around and punish them severely for minor offenses. If I tell my child, "don't touch that cookie in that cookie jar" and my child does it anyway, I carry out the consequences I set in place. Usually the penalty for that type of disobedience is, no more cookies for you. You DONT get any more because you disobeyed me. Now if my teenager steals my car and goes to a party I told him not to go to, the punishment for that type of disobedience gets a little more severe. Justice, to me, is where the punishment fits the crime. Do I toss my children out on the street for disobedience? NO. Do I mercilessly torture my child unrelentingly till he dies? Fuck no. This is the type of "parenting" style the bible god has, and I think everyone here can agree, that's not right. Its pretty twisted. Would I set my child alone in a room with a plate of cookies laced with arsenic and tell my kid, DONT EAT THESE OR YOULL DIE, and then walk away, and then send another adult in that room to coerce my child into eating the cookies? (My kids actually wouldn't need coercion, they'd just eat those bitches right after my back was turned)....what kind of a loving parent does that to their kids? Who is more at fault? The disobedient children, or the psycho adult who set up that sick test?

• Like 1

Well we have asked what the image of God means and no one has submitted the specifics. Which leads us to knowing Christ in order to understand God.

What?

I so wish I took drugs so things like this made sense.

Anyhow, I'm going to just go ahead and dismiss the idea of one nebulous concept giving clarity to another out of hand "just because."

mwc

• Like 1

No. Just, no. Clearly, you missed my point ENTIRELY. We are NOT speculating as to WHY God subjected us to evil, or allowed evil in this world. I was making a point about the "goodness of God" as displayed in the bible. In order to make a judgment on whether a person is "good" or "bad", we humans look at the behavior of said person and weigh his actions, good or bad, and whichever side of that scale is heaviest, that's what determines " good" or "bad". Since God's holy text, the Bible, is supposed to be everything we need to know about God and his standard for morality, we should be able to look at His actions in the bible to see His " goodness" displayed...correct? So the first couple chapters we see god creating the world, then he creates people and over in chapter 3 we see his FIRST interaction with his creation. If you think of God as a mature, adult, parental figure, and Adam and Eve as innocent children (doesn't matter that they were adults, they were basically sheltered in paradise, never knowing danger, good, evil, or any abstract concept like that) then my parable IS THE EXACT SAME STORY. God gave his innocent creatures a test designed for them to fail and punished them for it. IS THAT "GOOD?" To sit there and defend this story and say that the god of the bible is "good" is just deluded. And this is just ONE. I have many more posts like this one coming. These ancient myths are just that. Myths. And religious fundamentalists have been using them to manipulate and control people for thousands of years. But I digress. Thanks for playing, E3, but you lose. Your religion cripples your intellect in this battle of logic. Come and try again when you have an open mind.PS: Fun fact: there are no documented cases of deaths resulting in THC overdose, aka- "smoking too much of that good and evil weed."P.p.s: LIFE ends in death, so enjoy it!
You said the conversation would end up nowhere....which it will BECAUSE, and REGARDLESS of the God is good mantra, that ultimately the conversation ends up, why did God subject humanity to evil. You did not lose me with your "original point".....I just jumped to the end.Look, if I were God, then certainly I would be and AM extremely protective of my children....but there comes a time where we are left to letting them interact with the world and everything that means. I don't, and neither should you I would gather, that they remain unknowing and unable to choose life over death, freedom over fear. I can see your point, and can see it clearly from a human perspective...but I would hope that you don't get mired in the sludge of standing in one place to garner your ultimate/finished perspective. We good?

End

I will agree that there is a time to let your children interact in the world without guidance, but is this one of those times? Really? When the ultimate decision that will damn humanity for the rest of existence? That is the time to let your kids explore? Think about that for a minute, i mean rationally.

Wait a second...

mwc

Let's see you submit the specifics, End.

Christ went with the literal meaning, so there's your starting point.

Go for it!

I like you too, E3. You just made my beer squirt out my nose, I'm laughing so hard. Dammit. biggrin.png "fundamentalist atheist?" Wooooow. I am faaaar from fundamentals. That's a big reason for my big bad apostasy. I like to think I have an open mind, and I was hoping you'd open yours up too, or at least long enough to stop regurgitating fundamental christian doctrine. Sorry to sound harsh, but my christian experience was one of pain and abuse and the wounds are still a little fresh, so I may come off as crass, but I mean no disrespect. My snarkiness comes from a place of pain caused by people who talk JUST. LIKE. YOU.

Now, to answer your question, I guide and direct my children. I do not just boss them around and punish them severely for minor offenses. If I tell my child, "don't touch that cookie in that cookie jar" and my child does it anyway, I carry out the consequences I set in place. Usually the penalty for that type of disobedience is, no more cookies for you. You DONT get any more because you disobeyed me. Now if my teenager steals my car and goes to a party I told him not to go to, the punishment for that type of disobedience gets a little more severe. Justice, to me, is where the punishment fits the crime. Do I toss my children out on the street for disobedience? NO. Do I mercilessly torture my child unrelentingly till he dies? Fuck no. This is the type of "parenting" style the bible god has, and I think everyone here can agree, that's not right. Its pretty twisted. Would I set my child alone in a room with a plate of cookies laced with arsenic and tell my kid, DONT EAT THESE OR YOULL DIE, and then walk away, and then send another adult in that room to coerce my child into eating the cookies? (My kids actually wouldn't need coercion, they'd just eat those bitches right after my back was turned)....what kind of a loving parent does that to their kids? Who is more at fault? The disobedient children, or the psycho adult who set up that sick test?

Hey sylens!

Don't forget that AS WELL AS punishing your kids for that one act of disobedience, you should also punish your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren and so on, generation after generation after generation, for thousands of years.

That's the 'parenting' style of the bible god, right?

• Like 1

Guest sylensikeelyoo

I like you too, E3. You just made my beer squirt out my nose, I'm laughing so hard. Dammit. :D "fundamentalist atheist?" Wooooow. I am faaaar from fundamentals. That's a big reason for my big bad apostasy. I like to think I have an open mind, and I was hoping you'd open yours up too, or at least long enough to stop regurgitating fundamental christian doctrine. Sorry to sound harsh, but my christian experience was one of pain and abuse and the wounds are still a little fresh, so I may come off as crass, but I mean no disrespect. My snarkiness comes from a place of pain caused by people who talk JUST. LIKE. YOU.

Hey sylens!

Don't forget that AS WELL AS punishing your kids for that one act of disobedience, you should also punish your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren and so on, generation after generation after generation, for thousands of years.

Yep. Sure is, Atheist! It appears that bible god is so incapaple of forgiveness, that his "parenting style" includes punishing all of my children and their children, and so on so forth. He also seems to be a very ANGRY being and death is the penalty for EVERYTHING....even the "wrong" thoughts. Now that's tyranny.

• Like 1

I like you too, E3. You just made my beer squirt out my nose, I'm laughing so hard. Dammit. biggrin.png "fundamentalist atheist?" Wooooow. I am faaaar from fundamentals. That's a big reason for my big bad apostasy. I like to think I have an open mind, and I was hoping you'd open yours up too, or at least long enough to stop regurgitating fundamental christian doctrine. Sorry to sound harsh, but my christian experience was one of pain and abuse and the wounds are still a little fresh, so I may come off as crass, but I mean no disrespect. My snarkiness comes from a place of pain caused by people who talk JUST. LIKE. YOU.

Hey sylens!

Yep. Sure is, Atheist! It appears that bible god is so incapaple of forgiveness, that his "parenting style" includes punishing all of my children and their children, and so on so forth. He also seems to be a very ANGRY being and death is the penalty for EVERYTHING....even the "wrong" thoughts. Now that's tyranny.

Not just death!  

Continuous suffering for all eternity!

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Hells_Truth/hellfire.htm

hqdefault.jpg