Goodbye Jesus

Point Of Inquiry Podcast - The Benefits Of Religion Without The Belief, With Jeff Rasely

webmdave

• Admin

Religion is a very comforting aspect of many people’s lives, providing a community of like-minded individuals, as well as more than a little nostalgia. But even within the same faith groups, one can almost always find tension over theological technicalities. 

This week on Point of Inquiry, Jeff Rasely, author of Godless: Living a Valuable Life Beyond Belief, talks about how beliefs tend to leave people divided, whereas secular values unite. Rasely spent 25 years of his life as a dedicated member of the Presbyterian Church, and even studied to become a minister. As comforting as religious belief can be, Rasley learned through his rich experiences that belief also often divides and isolates people who would otherwise find common ground, if they only embraced their shared values instead of contentious religious commandments.  

http://traffic.libsyn.com/pointofinquiry/Jeff_Rasley_Final_3.mp3

I think Rasley is right. When I was young I went to a Methodist church. The minister was the only one who talk religion and he was no fundamentalist. If anyone was a true believer or a fundamentalist they kept it quiet. We all  got along quite well. The church served its purpose (a social meeting place) and didn't try to save the world. Rip