Goodbye Jesus

No Rainbows Before The Great Flood

Becks

I think it's so sad that the earliest humans, about 6 thousand years ago, never saw a rainbow! In fact if you believe the bible story, then you have to agree that light didn't have refractive properties until after the flood. Those 8 survivors where the first to witness this awesome miracle. I'm so glad that God looked at the rainbow I saw today and remembered not to destroy the earth again with a flood. Rainbows are good mnemonic tools, you know. All those colors...so sad all those heathen kids, babies, pregnant moms and dads had to drown. They never saw a rainbow either.

• Like 4

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

It is sad they had to miss out. It wasn't their fault the firmament above the earth was so full of water that light shone through differently.  

• Like 4

I think it's so sad that the earliest humans, about 6 thousand years ago, never saw a rainbow! In fact if you believe the bible story, then you have to agree that light didn't have refractive properties until after the flood. Those 8 survivors where the first to witness this awesome miracle. I'm so glad that God looked at the rainbow I saw today and remembered not to destroy the earth again with a flood. Rainbows are good mnemonic tools, you know. All those colors...so sad all those heathen kids, babies, pregnant moms and dads had to drown. They never saw a rainbow either.

Without light refraction and reflection, the ocean would not appear blue/green and the sky would not appear blue, among many other things.

The Bible fable you mention is just that - a fable.  The laws of physics are the same now as they were in the recent past (i.e., 14+ billion years).

• Like 2

But why was God so forgetful that he would need a rainbow?

"I think I will drown all the kittens today.  That sounds like fun!  Oh wait, there's rainbow.  I promised I 

wouldn't kill everyone with water ever again.  I guess I will just have to give cancer to some babies instead."

• Like 2

And I like the loophole he left for himself . . . .

I won't drown ALL the world, but I can still drown people in villages and cities.

• Like 1

I think rainbows have been around since the beginning of time. Besides, isn't the story of the Great Flood a re-telling of an earlier myth from Mesopotamia?

And I like the loophole he left for himself . . . .

I won't drown ALL the world, but I can still drown people in villages and cities.

"And," god added, "I can still kill a lot of people in earthquakes and tsunamis and hurricanes and tornadoes."

This so reminds me of my son's reasoning when he was young.  He would hit his sister and I would say, "Don't hit your sister."  So the next day he'd pinch her.  He'd say, "But you didn't say not to pinch her."  He could continue on with this, and I had to try to come up with every conceivable thing he could not do.  He'd still find one I'd miss.  Definitely similar to god's reasoning . . . . 

I think rainbows have been around since the beginning of time. Besides, isn't the story of the Great Flood a re-telling of an earlier myth from Mesopotamia?

Correct.  It is from the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Correct.  It is from the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Figures. There's no proof that a Great Flood happened globally anyways. It's purported that the flood was localized to the area yet archeologists and historians have yet to find much evidence of that.

I think rainbows have been around since the beginning of time.

Rainbows have been a feature of our planet since before humans ever evolved from fish.

I'm mad that I still can't look at one without thinking about god.

• Like 1

ow

I think rainbows have been around since the beginning of time.

Rainbows have been a feature of our planet since before humans ever evolved from fish.

I'm mad that I still can't look at one without thinking about god.

If light and rain have been around since the beginning of time, there were rainbows since the beginning of time. I don't get how some people can believe that rainbows didn't exist before supposed flood happened when the evidence says otherwise. I suppose too much indoctrining can do that.

Tiffani- I agree with you. My OP was a sarcastic response to my former beliefs. I'd been an athiest for a few years when suddenly I remembered that I actually believed that and I know there are people who still do despite science and reason.

See, the only way to learn about the past is to either be there yourself (which we were not) or read about it in divinely inspired scriptures!  In other news:

http://www.theonion.com/article/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl-2879

Members of the earth's earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, looked on in shock and confusion some 6,000 years ago as God, the Lord Almighty, created Heaven and Earth.

According to recently excavated clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform script, thousands of Sumerians—the first humans to establish systems of writing, agriculture, and government—were working on their sophisticated irrigation systems when the Father of All Creation reached down from the ether and blew the divine spirit of life into their thriving civilization. 

"I do not understand," reads an ancient line of pictographs depicting the sun, the moon, water, and a Sumerian who appears to be scratching his head. "A booming voice is saying, 'Let there be light,' but there is already light. It is saying, 'Let the earth bring forth grass,' but I am already standing on grass."

• Like 3

See, the only way to learn about the past is to either be there yourself (which we were not) or read about it in divinely inspired scriptures!  In other news:

http://www.theonion.com/article/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl-2879

Members of the earth's earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, looked on in shock and confusion some 6,000 years ago as God, the Lord Almighty, created Heaven and Earth.

According to recently excavated clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform script, thousands of Sumerians—the first humans to establish systems of writing, agriculture, and government—were working on their sophisticated irrigation systems when the Father of All Creation reached down from the ether and blew the divine spirit of life into their thriving civilization. 

"I do not understand," reads an ancient line of pictographs depicting the sun, the moon, water, and a Sumerian who appears to be scratching his head. "A booming voice is saying, 'Let there be light,' but there is already light. It is saying, 'Let the earth bring forth grass,' but I am already standing on grass."

That was funny! 

Lol! I love The Onion.

Guest Furball

nothing like a beautiful rainbow that says i won't murder the entire planet again....but he is still going to murder all of us by fire? 

that's like a serial killer saying they will never murder people using a knife ever again....they will now use only a gun.....uhm.....thanks?

• Like 1

nothing like a beautiful rainbow that says i won't murder the entire planet again....but he is still going to murder all of us by fire? 

that's like a serial killer saying they will never murder people using a knife ever again....they will now use only a gun.....uhm.....thanks?

Putting it that way makes it sound like God's suffering from some sort of mental illness such as rapid mood swings. If God does exist, I'd rather he be loving, patient, and kind rather than cruel and vengeful if we don't do as he says.

Putting it that way makes it sound like God's suffering from some sort of mental illness such as rapid mood swings. If God does exist, I'd rather he be loving, patient, and kind rather than cruel and vengeful if we don't do as he says.

You have to understand the original reason Biblegod was created.  Yahweh was the ultimate crazy dictator.  

You better tremble and fear Yahweh.  You better obey Yahweh without question.  Oh and by the way, Yahweh

appointed the king so obey the king who serves Yahweh.  The king is not so bad.  But we all have to obey

Yahweh so don't let Yahweh catch you disrespecting the king Yahweh appointed.

Guest Furball

Putting it that way makes it sound like God's suffering from some sort of mental illness such as rapid mood swings.

That is what i took away from the bible. The god of the bible speaks out of both sides of its mouth. It says one thing and then in another place something completely different that contradicts what it just said. The fact that buybull god puts a beautiful rainbow in the sky to promise that it will never drown the world again, then in another place says that the earth is reserved for fire makes the promise of the rainbow pointless. Either way, god promises to kill the entire world one more time...this time by fire and not water. Yeah if buybull god did exist it most assuredly suffers from some form of mental illness. The god of the bible is insane. But god doesn't exist so it only proves that the back mountain goat herders who wrote the bible were insane. -Cat

Putting it that way makes it sound like God's suffering from some sort of mental illness such as rapid mood swings.

That is what i took away from the bible. The god of the bible speaks out of both sides of its mouth. It says one thing and then in another place something completely different that contradicts what it just said. The fact that buybull god puts a beautiful rainbow in the sky to promise that it will never drown the world again, then in another place says that the earth is reserved for fire makes the promise of the rainbow pointless. Either way, god promises to kill the entire world one more time...this time by fire and not water. Yeah if buybull god did exist it most assuredly suffers from some form of mental illness. The god of the bible is insane. But god doesn't exist so it only proves that the back mountain goat herders who wrote the bible were insane. -Cat

Either that or they ate some psychedelic plants.

You have to understand the original reason Biblegod was created.  Yahweh was the ultimate crazy dictator.  

You better tremble and fear Yahweh.  You better obey Yahweh without question.  Oh and by the way, Yahweh

appointed the king so obey the king who serves Yahweh.  The king is not so bad.  But we all have to obey

Yahweh so don't let Yahweh catch you disrespecting the king Yahweh appointed.

I still have much to learn in terms of why so that's pretty good insight.

When you have some time on your hands sit down and read the last three chapters of the book of Judges.  

Read it all the way through in one sitting starting at Judges 19:1.  Pay very close attention to the phrase

"there was no king".  Also try to remember as you read it that these are suppose to be "God's chosen

people".

When you have some time on your hands sit down and read the last three chapters of the book of Judges.  

Read it all the way through in one sitting starting at Judges 19:1.  Pay very close attention to the phrase

"there was no king".  Also try to remember as you read it that these are suppose to be "God's chosen

people".

I'll try once I get my hands on a Bible

people".

There are online versions.  While some people think he is too loose in his criticisms I am a big fan of the

Skeptic's Annotated Bible.   http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/jg/19.html

If you want something more traditional there are sites like Bible gateway.

Yahweh was such a nice guy back during the time of Judges.

• Like 1

people".

There are online versions.  While some people think he is too loose in his criticisms I am a big fan of the

Skeptic's Annotated Bible.   http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/jg/19.html

If you want something more traditional there are sites like Bible gateway.

Yahweh was such a nice guy back during the time of Judges.

I've looked at the Skeptic's Annotated Bible before when doing some research on Paul.