Goodbye Jesus

Science And The Soul

florduh

Guest Furball

There is no such thing as a soul or spirit. According to the christian doctrine, the body without the spirit is dead. Intimating that the spirit we supposedly possess controls the physical body. If this were true, then someone with a brain injury would still show no signs of mental deterioration because the spirit would still be in control. It is the same with a blind person. If the spirit exists then the sight would still work in spite of the person being physically blind. There is no life after death. The afterlife, like all religions, is a man made concept. -the party pooper

If there is no soul that survives death then right now 'I" am just a collection of atoms. So why bother with the "I" at all? The brain is just an organic computer. There is no "I" present. Just a false identification. A false differentiation between one small part of the universe and the rest of the universe. Why all the importance on humanity and human survival? There's nothing but atoms here. smile.png  There's nothing special about this arrangement of atoms usually referred to as me (or you). How could there be?

Regarding reincarnation, without the idea of an immaterial soul, here on our planet our bodies are constantly being rebuilt with the atoms of other people living and dead as people's atoms are being recycled continuously. We are all probably a mishmash of millions of different people's atoms though our elementary teacher tells us, "There's nobody quite like you..." Truth be told, I'm not even me! So, each person is a reincarnation or reanimation on a large scale. lol. You just wont remember it as the atoms have been rearranged.

While it's not particularly important that "I" go on living forever, it looks like the soul-less atoms that I consist of will be reused.

We're all someone else's space dust. smile.png

To me, spirit describes a particular arrangement and relationship to the physical, where soul describes something independent of both of those. How may we have both?

There is no such thing as a soul or spirit. According to the christian doctrine, the body without the spirit is dead. Intimating that the spirit we supposedly possess controls the physical body. If this were true, then someone with a brain injury would still show no signs of mental deterioration because the spirit would still be in control. It is the same with a blind person. If the spirit exists then the sight would still work in spite of the person being physically blind. There is no life after death. The afterlife, like all religions, is a man made concept. -the party pooper

(One take on the soul. The soul that is not all powerful)

If I (my soul) was driving my car (my physical body) down the street and the engine seized (e.g. had a stroke, got alzheimers, became paralyzed) , I (my soul) could no longer make my car (physical body) function. Does a broken-down car indicate that there never was driver? Or that drivers are a myth?

Why is there an assumption that a soul must be able to override machinery and magically make it work? Maybe it cant.

To me, spirit describes a particular arrangement and relationship to the physical, where soul describes something independent of both of those. How may we have both?

What did I just read?

Nope, there's no reincarnation in Christianity.

Hebrews 9 : 27 & 28.

27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

So, according to scripture, there are two options.

A.  This kid is lying and making shit up.

B.  This kid is being deceived by demons.

Those are the only two Biblical options.  Game over.

Why wouldn't it be nothing?  That is what all the evidence points to.  If you are going to ignore all of it then how can you be open to changing your mind?

It could be nothing....we will see....or not.

Edit: None of us really live like it's nothing.

I do, and so do many other skeptics and rationalists.  I have no need to imagine there is anything after death.  I have no evidence there is anything after death.  That is what having a truly open mind means.

Since we have no way of knowing if there is anything after death, why should we think there is something?  It serves no purpose, except to advance the interests of the people who start - or benefit from others holding - these mythical beliefs.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't it be nothing?  That is what all the evidence points to.  If you are going to ignore all of it then how can you be open to changing your mind?

I do, and so do many other skeptics and rationalists.  I have no need to imagine there is anything after death.  I have no evidence there is anything after death.  That is what having a truly open mind means.

Since we have no way of knowing if there is anything after death, why should we think there is something?  It serves no purpose, except to advance the interests of the people who start - or benefit from others holding - these mythical beliefs.

Perhaps End is trying to say that there are zero people living the way he would if he accepted that there is no life after death?

There are probably many aspects to our culture as a result of living FOR, that you probably do those things even though you think you are choosing to live otherwise.

Very hostile today BAA. Where did I even come close to saying reincarnation was supported by Christianity. Pump the brakes brother.

What did I just read?

I'll interpret....it says you're a douchebag.

Very hostile today BAA. Where did I even come close to saying reincarnation was supported by Christianity. Pump the brakes brother.

Clarity is not hostility.

• Like 1

What did I just read?

I'll interpret....it says you're a douchebag.

And I even removed the profanity just to be extra nice.

Very defensive End.

I was responding to Florduh, anyway.

There are probably many aspects to our culture as a result of living FOR, that you probably do those things even though you think you are choosing to live otherwise.

Why do you presume to speak for others?  You've done it twice now.

I live the way I do because I believe this is my one life.

I love how the New Zealand culture is now American culture.

'Merica!

I love how the New Zealand culture is now American culture.

'Merica!

What, you didn't know that we invaded them?

Yeah, in Reagan 6:15, it says "And he sayeth unto the people, 'go fuck up those New Zealanders'. And it was done."

• Like 1

Sadly, American fundy culture has been exported to NZ and lots of other countries, and we are poorer for it.

I believe that the human "soul" (aka star dust) has value because we give it value. I know very well what it feels like to experience emotional pain, even though it is all in my mind. Consequently I voice to value the lives of others because it makes me feel good to have hope that somehow improve the emotional state of those around me.

When I die, there will be nothing of "me" left, but while I am here I will value others, and I believe that as they feel valued they will in turn place value on themselves and others.

It's not circular, but it was "bootstrapped" from nothing over Millenia. It's real IMO, and needs no religious explanation.

Sorry I know this isn't all that clear, it's still all percolating in my brain :)

Sadly, American fundy culture has been exported to NZ and lots of other countries, and we are poorer for it.

I think everyone is the poorer for it when something like that gets tossed around.

It's bad enough that we have it, I'd hate for anyone else to deal with it.