Goodbye Jesus

"you Were A False Convert"

yunea

This is for future reference for me in case someone starts saying that to my face.

Somewhere on the main site, in the comments, a Christian is saying there can be no such thing as "ex-Christian", they were "false converts" to begin with. Like they didn't submit 100% to Jesus or something.

What would be a good thing to say to that?

Well in that case, EVERY Christian is a false convert.

• Like 4

just tell/convince them that you think you were much more committed than they were, and if you are a false convert, then they definitely are.

then tell them they will be on your side of the fence in 4 years time or ask them what will happen to them when they die.

If you are an ex-c and you are still in contact with your old christian buddies, you will get told this at some point.

• Like 2

Why does it matter to you if people believe you were a true Christian or not?

If something is patently false, like being involved in a pyramid or ponzi scheme for instance, would you want to defend your place in that scheme or would you admit you were ashamed for having been a part of something so distasteful?

I don't get it.

Why not just say, I am glad to have left.  I feel embarrassed I was taken in for so long. It was damaging me and I wish I left sooner?

• Like 3

If something is patently false, like being involved in a pyramid or ponzi scheme for instance, would you want to defend your place in that scheme or would you admit you were ashamed for having been a part of something so distasteful?

I don't get it.

Why not just say, I am glad to have left.  I feel embarrassed I was taken in for so long. It was damaging me and I wish I left sooner?

It matters because conversations go nowhere if they're convinced that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I remember being a believer myself, and meeting people who were like "I once prayed. Nothing happened. God is dead" and being so frustrated that they apparently didn't even once say, "Jesus, thy will be done above all" and watch the magical story unfold. Indeed, if only they'd just done what I did, you know?

(I'm not saying everyone thinks that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ones did who have the nerve to run around calling others false converts.)

I would also definitely say that I'm glad to have left and wish I'd left much sooner, because it really damaged me. 

just tell/convince them that you think you were much more committed than they were, and if you are a false convert, then they definitely are.

then tell them they will be on your side of the fence in 4 years time or ask them what will happen to them when they die.

If you are an ex-c and you are still in contact with your old christian buddies, you will get told this at some point.

That'd be a bit of a rough way to go about it for me. I guess I'd only do that if they were impolite to me about it first. Thanks for the input anyway SCM :)

I've been avoiding these conversations with my friends who believe, but I know I can't for much longer. 

I might say "yes, i was".

That's funny how I didn't even consider answering that way! 

One could maybe ask, if the church was full of people with the gift of testing spirits, why didn't anyone ever even hint that I may be false, but this person now knows it? rolleyes.gif 

(Instead my friends were jealous of how quickly I began speaking in tongues, how I was always slain in the spirit when I followed the altar call, and how I was publicly prophesied over that God is gonna use me sooooo much. Oh yeah.)

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Why not just say, I am glad to have left. I feel embarrassed I was taken in for so long. It was damaging me and I wish I left sooner?

It matters because conversations go nowhere if they're convinced that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I remember being a believer myself, and meeting people who were like "I once prayed. Nothing happened. God is dead" and being so frustrated that they apparently didn't even once say, "Jesus, thy will be done above all" and watch the magical story unfold. Indeed, if only they'd just done what I did, you know?

(I'm not saying everyone thinks that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ones did who have the nerve to run around calling others false converts.)

I would also definitely say that I'm glad to have left and wish I'd left much sooner, because it really damaged me.

Um, to them you don't know what you are talking about regardless of what you know. They would view anything that contradicts their faith that way. You can't convince a believer otherwise. You can only state your own position.

Yunea, you aren't the sort of person to try 2 impossible things everyday are you, like try to convince a religious person that leaving the faith and being a non believer is rational and reasonable?

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Why not just say, I am glad to have left. I feel embarrassed I was taken in for so long. It was damaging me and I wish I left sooner?

It matters because conversations go nowhere if they're convinced that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I remember being a believer myself, and meeting people who were like "I once prayed. Nothing happened. God is dead" and being so frustrated that they apparently didn't even once say, "Jesus, thy will be done above all" and watch the magical story unfold. Indeed, if only they'd just done what I did, you know?

Um, to them you don't know what you are talking about regardless of what you know. They would view anything that contradicts their faith that way. You can't convince a believer otherwise. You can only state your own position.

Yunea, you aren't the sort of person to try 2 impossible things everyday are you, like try to convince a religious person that leaving the faith and being a non believer is rational and reasonable?

Well that is sadly true. I don't expect to be able to convince a believer to start deconverting anyway. 

Lol nah 2 impossibilites every day is a bit much for me! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

No True Scotsman

Whatever xian you were (or think you were) you weren't a true xian (like they are).  And the proof is you didn't do the true xian things (as defined by them the true xian).

The appropriate way to deal with these sorts of people is to not care.  If you do care (I used to care quite a bit) you should learn to not care.  They're no more or less xian than any other self-professed xian (and they're all ultimately self-professed since that's how the religion works).

mwc

• Like 2

You might be right, but it took me 40 years & a hell of a lot of my money before I realized it. Can I get refund?

• Like 4

If they knew me when I was a Christian, I would ask them why they never told me I wasn't a true Christian. If they couldn't tell, wonder aloud how many other fake Christians may be sitting in the pews next to them on Sunday. How few actual Christians there could be. How alone they might really be.

• Like 4

I would just say "Well, you would believe that, wouldn't you?" and not waste my breath banging my head against the wall (to mix my metaphors).

Or maybe "No, you are deconvert in denial".

Either way, I wouldn't continue a pointless discussion.

• Like 1

Did you sell everything you have and give to the poor? No? Then you didn't follow Jesus either.

Did you disown your mother, father, sister, brother? No? Then you didn't follow Jesus either.

You could go on and on and on (if you have nothing better to do). Or, you could do what ToHell said (my personal favorite).

• Like 2

I would say to them.

"you had better hope you're right. Because if you are wrong, and I really was a true believer, then you too are in grave danger of becoming like me if you ever do any digging for answers like I did. I dare you you to dig for answers from an apologist AND their opponents. But you better be prepared for disappointment "

• Like 1

I might say "yes, i was".

That's funny how I didn't even consider answering that way! 

One could maybe ask, if the church was full of people with the gift of testing spirits, why didn't anyone ever even hint that I may be false, but this person now knows it? :rolleyes: 

(Instead my friends were jealous of how quickly I began speaking in tongues, how I was always slain in the spirit when I followed the altar call, and how I was publicly prophesied over that God is gonna use me sooooo much. Oh yeah.)

Jealous? Isn't that a sin?

• Like 1

Punch 'em in the face and then tell them the pain they feel is false pain.

• Like 1

Darn I ran out of upvotes. It's been a great thread so far. Many thanks at this point to everyone who's joined in, I've gotten some ideas I really like and will use if and when this conversation happens. :D

• Super Moderator

Bite me.

This is for future reference for me in case someone starts saying that to my face.

Somewhere on the main site, in the comments, a Christian is saying there can be no such thing as "ex-Christian", they were "false converts" to begin with. Like they didn't submit 100% to Jesus or something.

Did they sell all their stuff and follow Jesus? If not, FALSE CONVERT! :)

• Like 1

Tell them you would rather refer to yourself as a "True" Deconvert, not a "False" Convert. You like to reference yourself in a positive light.

• Like 2

That seems to be a common misconception among Christians. To be fair, a true believer's very existence depends on the delusion that their faith is solid and unshakable, so nothing threatens their "reality" more than an ex-christian. Like everyone in this post has said, there is no point in arguing with them. There is no reasoning with the faithful and willfully ignorant. My brother-in-law posted this a while back (I'm sure it was a jab at my husband and I, as we stopped attending his church a few months prior). I almost typed a snarky reply, but I realized it was a waste of time. You have my sympathy, but try not to let these fools get to you.

2015-05-27-dying1.png2015-05-27-dying2.png2015-05-27-dying3.png2015-05-27-dying4.png

• Like 1

Punch 'em in the face and then tell them the pain they feel is false pain.

This is the best, in my opinion. I'm cracking up at my computer. Yunea just do this from now on, I guarantee church people will stop bothering you in short order.

In other news, I may have not worked through all my resentment feelings yet.

Ultimately, you don't have to steer the conversation in a snarky or defensive direction. think about where you want the conversation to go. If you like that person and want to keep them in your life, you can say "oh I will explain it later maybe". If its some idiot on a message board with no care or investment in your life, and is more interested in putting you in a box so he can understand you, then by all means mess around with him if you want.

• Like 1

"Never were a true Christian...is that like never was a true douche-bag?"

"So you're a true Christian? Glad I never was then.." lol.

• Like 1