Goodbye Jesus

"you Were A False Convert"

yunea

Believers who are preaching say that belief is the most simple thing in the whole world. They are looking for an easy sell, and tell you that as soon as you start to believe, the armies of Heaven are there 1000% to back you.

But deconvert, and you somehow didn't believe the right way despite following faithfully for decades, or you liked sin better, or you are deceived by the devil, or ...  But look at the words of Jesus and the apostles, and they make it very simple:

“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.” Mark 16:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

“Whoever believes in him is not condemned” John 3:18

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life” John 3:36

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” John 5:24

“I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.” John 6:47

“I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.” John 12:46

“All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name." Acts 10:43

“Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.” Romans 10:4

“Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God” 1 John 5:1

No contortions of believing just right, or in a particular denomination, or anything else. We believed and demonstrated it! That's all there is to it. I even have family members that feel this is all true and that I will come back because I had true faith.

• Like 2

I just jumped in to say that the "False Convert" thing sounds a lot like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Sorry if this has already been said.

• Like 2

I just jumped in to say that the "False Convert" thing sounds a lot like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Sorry if this has already been said.

I agree with that. It does.

• Like 1

You know what you say to "you were never a real Christian!"? Nothing. Because who cares about people's little, irrelevant opinions. I know it's so irritating to have people judge you, but there will always be people judging you about this and completely unrelated things without you even knowing. It doesn't matter. You know what you were and other people can keep on talking while you tune them out.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

This is for future reference for me in case someone starts saying that to my face.

Somewhere on the main site, in the comments, a Christian is saying there can be no such thing as "ex-Christian", they were "false converts" to begin with. Like they didn't submit 100% to Jesus or something.

What would be a good thing to say to that?

Did they sell all their stuff and follow Jesus? If not, FALSE CONVERT! smile.png

Correct. This is the one that shuts them up. I always remind them that jesus said people were only his friend if they did 'whatsoever' he told them to do. Jesus also rebuked people by saying 'why do you call him lord, lord but do not do what he asks them to do.' Then i ask them if they have sold everything they own and given everything to the poor. I ask them if they have left everything and everyone behind them to follow jesus 100% of the time. If they say they haven't, then according to jesus himself, they are false christians. Hypocrites. Let them know that hypocrites will receive an even greater damnation than us atheists.

Remember that jesus would prefer people to be hot or cold, not in the middle. Either believe 100% or don't believe at all. Jesus hates a half hearted christian. Half hearted christians go to hell and are punished more severely than us atheists. But the real "good news" is that there is no hell and there is no jesus. -Cat

• Like 1

But there can only be one!

• Like 1

Personally I have to say that this accusation doesn't bother me. I converted to Christianity from my family's religion of Hinduism, and eventually came back. To tell me I was a false Christian is to tell me that I've always been a Hindu, which is something I fully assent to.

• Like 1

Believers who are preaching say that belief is the most simple thing in the whole world. They are looking for an easy sell, and tell you that as soon as you start to believe, the armies of Heaven are there 1000% to back you.

[snip]

No contortions of believing just right, or in a particular denomination, or anything else. We believed and demonstrated it! That's all there is to it. I even have family members that feel this is all true and that I will come back because I had true faith.

Good point.  Fundies are fixated on having the right kind of "born again experience," so for them, faith is not assent to doctrines but a slippery bunch of attitudes that can be redefined at will.

I remember once when some fundies asked a Lutheran whether he'd been born again.  He said yes, in baptism (as a child).  They didn't know what to reply.

• Like 1