Goodbye Jesus

Retired Priest: ‘Hell’ Was Invented By The Church To Control People With Fear

Fweethawt

Guest Furball

Spong:  Religion is always in the control business, and that’s something people don’t really understand. It’s in a guilt-producing control business. And if you have Heaven as a place where you’re rewarded for you goodness, and Hell is a place where you’re punished for your evil, then you sort of have control of the population. And so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the Hell out of a lot of people, throughout Christian history. And it’s part of a control tactic.

Spong:  The church doesn’t like for people to grow up, because you can’t control grown-ups. That’s why we talk about being born again. When you’re born again, you’re still a child. People don’t need to be born again. They need to grow up. They need to accept their responsibility for themselves and the world.

Spong:  Every church I know claims that ‘we are the true church’ – that they have some ultimate authority, I mean, God is not a Christian. God is not a Jew or a Muslim or a Hindi or Buddhist. All of those are human systems, which human beings have created.

Wow, a religionist finally making some sense. I can hear all the christians now, "he was never one of us,' 'he is an apostate!' Too bad christians won't listen to what he has to say. It sounds like he is coming out of the brainwashed experience, although he still believes in god. Good for him for at least admitting the truth about hell and it's man made purpose for controlling the masses. -Cat

He's retired.  That probably has a lot to do with it.  That, and internal intellectual and emotional honsety.

Basically, his usefulness for the facade was finally up and decided to come clean about probably being a legal thief for however long he was. Leo X I believe was quoted as saying how profitable the fairy tale was. Mr. "my church usually pulls in $250,000.00 a weekend" Osteen, and Mr. "I need a new plane" Dollar seem to see this as well.

You mean, Religion has been defrauding us for thousands of years? Why can't we sue the Church for extortion? Maybe a class action lawsuit.

Is he talking about the Catholic church in regards to the creation of Hell for control purposes? 

Makes sense considering most modern churches probably broke off of the Catholic church, hence the usage of Hell in their own doctrines. 

Thomas Paine figured that out 200+ years ago. Too bad Spong didn't listen to him when he was a young man.