Goodbye Jesus

A Request For Healing

christar

I'm calling just one Christian out of the 2.2 billion Christians who has a mustard seed of faith to heal me of my schizophrenia.

This ain't gonna happen. I tried this once.

This ain't gonna happen. I tried this once.

Some Christian out there must believe they have at least a mustard seed of faith, so I want to find out if it does have power.

Maybe my faith was less than a mustard seed, but during my ministry days - I asked God to grant me temporary healing powers so I could heal my best friend of cancer before it took him.

Then I realized I was asking the air for the healing powers, and while fresh air can do wonders for the body - it can't cure cancer. /sigh

Sorry the hear about that Christar.  When I was in high school we had a spiritual renewal.  It riled up the 

fanaticism in our most devout students.  We were all fired up for Jesus.  And that was harmless until

somebody got the idea that we should pray that God would heal our handicapped student.  The results

were just awful.  I was deeply embarrassed and I hadn't been that involved.  I think I just joined in the 

prayer from a distance.  But eventually everyone had to give up.  The determination started out intense

but it could never last until the impossible happened.  Then we all had to invent excuses for why God

had said no.

Only science can heal.  Maybe science isn't quite there for a given problem but God doesn't heal.

Y'all want to hear justifications? Here's one:

A lady at my old church, Tony, was dying of cancer, and we were all praying over her constantly. One day, we got the news that her tumors had vanished. We threw a celebration at the church. I remember it clearly. We played music and ate lots of junk food, and I remember thinking that God really does heal people. A couple months later, Tony was dead.

You know what the pastor said? "It was still a miracle. God healed her. He gave her those extra months of life before calling her home."

I think what really happened was somebody fucked up the scans, and the tumors had never disappeared. Who knows how things would have turned out differently if she had gotten accurate information. This incident did far more damage to my faith than it would have if she had simply died.

And I was stupid enough to keep praying for healing, and to accept those prayers from other people even though I'd never been healed of anything, ever. I did the same thing over and over and over hoping that something different would happen. My past self was such an IDIOT. "Maybe God will grant me sight one day. I do believe in fairies! I do! I do! I do!"

Guest Furball

I'm calling just one Christian out of the 2.2 billion Christians who has a mustard seed of faith to heal me of my schizophrenia.

Sorry, according to the bible, a mustard seed of faith can only levitate mountains off the ground and throw them into the ocean. (sarcasm turned off) 

• Like 2

And I was stupid enough to keep praying for healing, and to accept those prayers from other people even though I'd never been healed of anything, ever. I did the same thing over and over and over hoping that something different would happen. My past self was such an IDIOT. "Maybe God will grant me sight one day. I do believe in fairies! I do! I do! I do!"

I'm with you, Voyager. Most of us on this site feel pretty stupid for the things we said/did/prayed for during our Christian-coma years.

I remember praying for so many people for healing. I asked God to give me their sicknesses at times (I was suicidal from time to time). Nothing ever happened. I never saw anyone be genuinely healed. Adrenaline and mass-hysteria can accomplish a lot during a healing service, but in the following weeks every person supposedly "healed" ended up right back with their limps or canes or crutches or whatever.

christian response: your faith is not enough or you are not believe god or you have sin in the past that you must seek for forgiveness first

even if you did that, god works in mysterious way

christian response: your faith is not enough or you are not believe god or you have sin in the past that you must seek for forgiveness first

And god is not your miracle automat who does what you say.

And god is not your miracle automat who does what you say.

except if you are christian and then god can do what you say and can become your ATM machine

Here you go, coffee_99.gif      I promise you before you leave this earth you will be cured of your organic brain defect.

Only science can heal. 

Death does wonders too

Actually, death is just death.  The only thing it "cures" is life.

So, Justus, I take it that you aren't actually a True Christian™ with super-duper healing powers?

First, it is misguided to assume that God performs miracles today as he did in the past.

In the long time period covered in the Bible, there are only four short periods of time

when miracles were common.

-The time of the Exodus

-The time of the prophets Elijah and Elisha

-The ministry of Jesus

-The time of the Apostles.

True, there are some miracles recorded in other parts of the scriptures, but it was

only during these four periods that miracles common.

The time of the Apostles ended with the writing of the Revelation and death of John.

This means that today, miracles are rare.

All healing, I believe is from God. God designed the human body to heal itself from many

afflictions and diseases. I cut my finger and it will heal in a few days.

God also uses doctors and medicines to help heal.

My first thoughts.

That's pretty handy Ironhorse that Gods power petered out when Peter petered out, and that all the miracles happened only within the Bible.

Kind of like the wizards stop flying once the credits roll on a Harry Potter movie, and you never see them fly in real life.

• Like 3

First, it is misguided to assume that God performs miracles today as he did in the past.

God didn't preform any miracles in the past.  Think about it.  A made-up story isn't the past.

-The time of the Exodus

Never happened.  The whole thing was a myth.  We know from archeology that the Hebrews were living

along the coat and they ran away to the mountains when the Sea People invaded.  

Bible prophesy is simply the ramblings of crazy people.  The stories made up about the prophets are not

real.  You don't really think God sent bears to murder 42 boys to get "revenge" on them calling Elijah a

"baldy" now do you?  "It's a miracle!  God butchered them all!"

-The ministry of Jesus

Fictional stories are fiction.

True, there are some miracles recorded in other parts of the scriptures, but it was

The truth is that there were no miracles.  That is why you must come up with lame excuses for why your

"unchanging" God changed so much.

The time of the Apostles ended with the writing of the Revelation and death of John.

Revelation was written during the second century.  Everyone who had lived during Paul's time had already

died of old age.  That is why the theology of John is so different than the other gospels.  John was written

later on when new theology had evolved.  Jesus wasn't considered to be God during the first century.

Today miracles are bullshit . . . just like they were back during the Iron Age.  There are hundreds of Gurus 

who live in India right now who use the same bullshit methods to fake miracles but you don't follow 

any of them because your parents indoctrinated you to a different religion during your childhood.

• Like 3

Justus and Ironhorse, add me to your prayer list! I prayed for faith for 28 years and never received it...am I to assume that my faith wasn't strong enough for God to grant me faith? Now I'm confused!

Justus and Ironhorse, add me to your prayer list! I prayed for faith for 28 years and never received it...am I to assume that my faith wasn't strong enough for God to grant me faith? Now I'm confused!

I guess my first question would be what do you consider ‘faith’?

In the scriptures, it is written, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

One of the things I have had 'hope' for years is a building a little piston driven electromagnetic motor to operate lawn

and garden equipment like weedeaters, mowers, tillers, edgers. So in my opinion, faith is the belief one has something is true, but lacks the evidence to prove what they believe is true.  

az1a.jpg

In regards to the Bible, it is written in Ecclesiates 6:6 by the Son of David, Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?   Of course, everyone knows what the first verse of the first Chapter of first Gospel of the New Testament says, so if the life of the flesh of man on earth is 120 years according to Genesis 6:3, what does the scientific evidence record as the oldest age a person is known to live too?

Here you go, coffee_99.gif      I promise you before you leave this earth you will be cured of your organic brain defect.

Only science can heal. 

Death does wonders too

No, absolutely not.  Death is the opposite of healing.

Does the death of the caterpillar merely end its physical form while the life emerges anew in the butterfly?

Does the death of the caterpillar merely end its physical form while the life emerges anew in the butterfly?

Changing into a butterfly is not death.  Caterpillars who die never become butterflies.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

In the long time period covered in the Bible, there are only four short periods of time

when miracles were common.

-The time of the Exodus

-The ministry of Jesus

All healing, I believe is from God. God designed the human body to heal itself from many

afflictions and diseases. I cut my finger and it will heal in a few days.

God also uses doctors and medicines to help heal.

My first thoughts.

Wait, so all those things Jesus told his followers about faith to move mountains, praying for the sick, and how whatever the believers asked of him would be done IS NO LONGER VALID??????? So why are people still believing that story and praying their butts off if God's not in the miracle business or answering prayers anymore? Are today's believers less deserving of the benefits of belief than their ancient counterparts were?

Also, claiming natural healing and medical intervention is God at work is cheap and cheesy. It's an easy and unthinking way to reconcile reality with an impotent deity.

If a caterpillar dies, it ain't turning into anything but bug goo.