Goodbye Jesus

The Cosmic Web, Or: What Does The Universe Look Like At A Very Large Scale?

Guest Furball

Woah. Vangelis was the right choice for that video.

4.5 billion light years...

Awesome video.

Looking at the universe that size reminds me of the neural network or the circulatory system of a human. Thanks for the video.

• Super Moderator

That couldn't occur without a designer zDuivel7.gif

Cool video, Bro.

I have an Oculus Rift program that actually lets me fly around inside of this image. Plus another that lets me fly about a scaled down version of the solar system, and a video game that actually accurately recreates the entire Galaxy with all the stars in the right place and several actual known solar systems recreated within it, as well as a bunch of procedurally generated systems. [Elite Dangerous]

There's even one that lets me experience the Apollo 11 launch from inside the rocket and explore the surface of the Moon a bit. Another lets me float around outside the ISS in a space suit and jet around using the thrusters over an actual to scale Earth.

One particularly impressive demo starts you out looking at a giant proton and neutron with each about the size of a small car and then gradually provides other objects that grow in size until you are looking at a map like this of the observable Universe.

The educational applications of VR are unimaginably cool and the sense of scale it can provide is impressive. As cool as it is for games and other forms of entertainment, the real value of it is what it can do for industry and education in the future. It's an amazing tool for learning and can provide a sense of actual scale like nothing before it. Seriously looking forward to the consumer launch of the device next year, and it's got as much to do with experiences like this as any game that I might want to play on it.

If you get the chance to test one of these things out, I highly recommend you try it.

oculus-rift-inside.jpg

Cool video, Bro.

Where did i say that?

You didn't. I cut the video out of the reply and added that as a place marker for where the video was because it makes the thread page take less time to load for others.

As a general rule of thumb it's good internet etiquette to remove videos and excess images from replies so that we can all have better load times in threads because the same images and videos aren't loading several times. I have very fast internet so it's not usually an issue for me, but not everyone is so fortunate.

Guest Furball

Cool video, Bro.

Where did i say that?

You didn't. I cut the video out of the reply and added that as a place marker for where the video was because it makes the thread page take less time to load for others.

As a general rule of thumb it's good internet etiquette to remove videos and excess images from replies so that we can all have better load times in threads because the same images and videos aren't loading several times. I have very fast internet so it's not usually an issue for me, but not everyone is so fortunate.

Ok, thanks for explaining. -peace