Goodbye Jesus

Three Ways Your Religion May Hinder Empathy

Fweethawt

Seems like some people use the name of religion, as an excuse, to do some really mean things.

That among other reasons is why I left that batshit crazy cult of Christianity.

That was well worth reading.

Sad way too many people get it wrong.

Being "exceptions to the rule" he mentioned is what landed Jesus in trouble with the religious leaders.

Being "exceptions to the rule" he mentioned is what landed Jesus in trouble with the religious leaders.

I thought Jesus was crucified as part of God's plan for salvation.  If God planed it then it wasn't a choice

and God forced the "religious leaders" through manipulation.

• Like 4

I thought Jesus was crucified as part of God's plan for salvation.  If God planed it then it wasn't a choice

According to the Bible, Jesus himself would rather not have been crucified.

"Hey, dad, it's me, you. If you could think of some other way of forgiving people other than hanging me on a cross, that would be great. Thanks, me. Sincerely, you."

• Like 2

What has everyone been up to these days is the chatroom back in action again?

But what if (just a theory here) God wouldn't experience time in linear fashion? What if He experiences all time at once? Then we can all act however we want, and it is still accounted for and could be accounted as part of His plan.

But what if (just a theory here) God wouldn't experience time in linear fashion? What if He experiences all time at once? Then we can all act however we want, and it is still accounted for and could be accounted as part of His plan.

(edit:  Never mind about that other stuff.  Don't know what I was thinking.)

If God experiences all time at once then our point of view is only an illusion and we don't actually make choices.

• Like 1

It can hinder empathy, and motivate otherwise good people to do horrible things. The real question is is religion needed to be empathetic? Is it needed to be good? Why is Xtianity any different than all the other systems of belief that promote the golden rule and leading a good life?

Posted right over here by Citsonga, another atheist blogger hacked to death:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/69087-another-atheist-blogger-hacked-to-death/?p=1059736

Religions that claim to be the sole truth, and that demand their adherents to promote them as such, hinder empathy big time.

---------------------

Adding: see the post on the Muslim father who stopped lifeguards from saving his drowning daughter because it would dishonor her (and him) if they touched her.