Goodbye Jesus

Don't Freak Out, But Scientists Think Octopuses 'might Be Aliens' After Dna Study

Fweethawt

Amazing. :D I love molluscs and I've always thought the octopus is an incredible animal, and this only adds to it. 

Pretty wild!

Release the kraken!

The freakiest thing I ever saw was a story about an aquarium that kept losing fish out of one of its storage tanks. They couldn't figure out what was happening until they installed a camera in the room. What they saw on the footage was incredible! An octopus in a tank several feet from the fish tank would climb out of the tank after all the people had left the room, travel across the floor to the fish tank, help himself to whatever he was hungry for, then return to his tank as if nothing had happened! Truly freaky creatures!

• Like 1

You're a christian. If you think something is deceptive, there's a pretty good chance that it's factual.

You're a christian. If you think something is deceptive, there's a pretty good chance that it's factual.

lol :D

• Like 2

Disregard, double post.

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical... I doubt it's an "alien". More likely that we don't have a fossil record showing the evolution of octopi from an ancestor.

Admittedly I know very little about octopi (including what their plural name is), I assume that they lack a skeleton that would allow for easy fossilization, if not at all.

I feel like octopi being the result of a generic experiment by hyper-intelligent beings is a bit of a stretch...

Finally got around to read that article. Interesting stuff for sure, but the labeling as "aliens" of course provokes all kinds of wrong associations.

Granted that we couldn't rule out the option that they are / descended from "aliens" as in " stepped out of a UFO", that's far from a given thing. It's typical clickbait titling.

The freakiest thing I ever saw was a story about an aquarium that kept losing fish out of one of its storage tanks. They couldn't figure out what was happening until they installed a camera in the room. What they saw on the footage was incredible! An octopus in a tank several feet from the fish tank would climb out of the tank after all the people had left the room, travel across the floor to the fish tank, help himself to whatever he was hungry for, then return to his tank as if nothing had happened! Truly freaky creatures!

Hahahah, go octopus, go! 

Sure they're aliens. The bigger question is are they here legally.

It was just seperate evolution. They broke off from every other species long ago and have developed on their own.

Yup that would be the most likely explanation, as far as I can tell.

Octopuses are amazing, freaky creatures. Here's a video of one that can open up a jar — from the inside.

All I can say is that it's a good thing that octopuses have such short lifespans, or they would find a way to unite, then develop technology to come up on land to destroy us all.

• Like 1

^^^^  seriously, if cephalopods didn't die after reproduction (including the VERY smart cuttlefish, of course) we'd be screwed. Their kind of intelligence and biological set-up is incredible. Their nervous system is superior to ours, their eyesight... they can regenerate limbs, or abandon them altogether to escape. They communicate through colour, light and pattern. They have marvellous dexterity... and insane coping, camouflage and problem-solving skills - for invertebrates, (and even for vertebrates - some cuttlefish males pretend to be females to deek out the other males so they can mate with the females,) Brilliant creatures...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvP0TD-Cr3o

• Like 2

Isn't there also that factoid that they don't stop growing, like, ever?

Now imagine a mutant with an extremely long lifespan and I guess you get... Him. :P

cthulhu_rises_by_silberius-d7mlm8d.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, we're fucked... We're so fucked.

It was just seperate evolution. They broke off from every other species long ago and have developed on their own.

I don't know about that. I think it's fairly clear that they are made in God's image.

1a-octopus-graphicsfairy004bw2.jpg

2me3s.png

• Like 2

So where are their meatballs then? :scratch:

They must have lost them in the fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this come as a surprise to anyone here? Sheesh!

Creationists are now actively propagating the claim that octopuses are aliens -- http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2015/09/09/creationists-are-now-actively-propagating-the-claim-that-octopuses-are-aliens/?