Goodbye Jesus

Freedom From Atheism Foundation...

Fuego

Just saw this group quoted on FB and looked them up. Here's a link to their recommended books:

http://www.ffafintl.org/books.html

I had no idea that this was a "thing". I looked up a few on Amazon to read the quotes and reviews. Then I posted a long response to the FB posting. I probably outed myself, but damn it, I can't stomach the bullshit that people spew who should know better. Yes, believers can be great scientists. But the scriptures, if taken at face value, contradict known science repeatedly. And science does nothing to validate belief. Belief is a substitute for knowing. If you know, then you don't need to believe.

Firmament instead of gasses forming an atmosphere held in place by gravity.

Making genetic changes by exposing mating animals to various patterns or colors, instead of carrying on traits from the parents.

Stars being little lights that can guild you to a house like a GPS.

Rainbows being "god's bow set in the sky" instead of light refracting through the lenses of water droplets.

The terrible math of population growth in Exodus, going from 70 to a million in 400 years.

The 5th plague kills all the Egyptian beasts, and then the 6th plague is said to cause boils on all the beasts not owned by Israel...hello? Didn't they just die in the previous plague? Then the 7th plague rains down hail on all the ...beasts of the field.

And so on.

^ and pharaohs chariots... Horses are livestock. Thought they were dead already

That's a very good point. I had honestly never thought of that before.

Guest Furball

So if they believe they have evidence for a god: 

A: Where is all this evidence?

B. Why do they think the evidence they have for a god, defaults them to the christian god?

-God is not found in science, since science continues to disprove not only the bible, but the supposed author of it as well. 

-Freedom from atheism sounds to me like freedom from rational thinking, using reality based logic, and ignoring the evidence presented by science. 

• Like 1

It strikes me as a circle-jerk of self-congratulatory believers. Believers can do great science, but nowadays they have to ignore a lot of information that stands against the scriptures.

• Like 1

Christians need freedom from atheism because atheists have over 300,000 atheist clubs, in the last two hundred years every single president has been openly atheist, and the atheists are demanding that everyone live the values of atheism.  The atheists have even changed the pledged of allegiance to say the United States is under atheism and added the motto "in atheism we trust" to our currency.  It's getting so that Christians can't find a safe place to worship without being reminded that there is no evidence that their God even exists.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

It's getting so that Christians can't find a safe place to worship without being reminded that there is no evidence that their God even exists.

christianity: because f**k reality

(*also fuck evidence, logic, compassion, forgiveness, love, and reality.)

I've actually ordered one of those books "There is a God" by Antony Flew.

I think he is a Deist, not a Christian. A Deist friend recommended the book to me.

If God made himself audible and visually discernible I will also believe. But a personal god that doesn't communicate. That's unacceptable. If they want to eliminate us from the world because we use our senses, I don't know what to say.

A guy that I went to high school with posted something from the Freedom from Atheism Foundation site on his facebook page.  It was the first time I had heard of them and it was the last post I saw from the guy before I unfriended him.

They were dead.  But Pharaoh had an Amazon Prime account and just got these babies in that morning.  And some toilet paper and a really cool looking dock for his phone (that he's going to return because it doesn't work as good as it looks).

mwc

^^ yep. Another checkmate. Dang it

That's so cute. "Freedom From Atheism Foundation." Ha ha. 

Is this a freedom from not believing in something you can not prove? Does this give people an out to be ignorant to reality? That is what it seems like to me.

Wouldnt pharaoh himself also be a firstborn?

As a former christian and a scientist, I can attest that there is a SHIT TON of cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics necessary to be a believer and a scientist at the same time. 

I am ashamed I was ever that blind.

• Like 1

Wouldnt pharaoh himself also be a firstborn?

Maybe.  Who exactly was the Pharaoh when this happened so when can check?  I'm sure it's in the story because knowing exactly who was bested will certainly make god appear all the more powerful (unless it's one of those poser chick pharaohs, a kid with a regent, one of those really in-bred retarded ones or some sort of made-up one then maybe you'd gloss).

mwc

That's so cute. "Freedom From Atheism Foundation." Ha ha. 

It's almost Freedom From Freedom Foundation.

• Like 1

The Free to Be A Slave Foundation