Goodbye Jesus

Defending Hell

SerenelyBlue

I'm not walking anybodys hand.

My hand's had plenty of exercise anyway. No problem.
Good.

Aside from that

I just find it unrelentingly odd....that I'm asked questions I already answered as if I never been asked that question before. Like a new fresh piece of meet on a the street. Like im a new hooker on the block.

A1, is this the thread you're talking about? If so, then I would draw your attention to my replies to you in that thread, specifically #11, 21, 35, 41, 44, 49, 106, 109, 120, and 127. If you go back and have a read, then I think it will become clear that while these are questions you have been asked before, they are not questions you have sufficiently answered before. I'm offering you another chance to take a crack at it. That's all.

• Like 1

"Nonsense!  Hell is never "necessary."  All your alleged god has to do is search the thoughts of the person in question and place them in a suitably satisfying afterlife." 

~ Astreja

God knows their thoughts, but he will not force a change in their will.

They will get their desire...eternal separation from God.

Yup. God will grant their desire to spend eternity in that blazing furnace, where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Who doesn't want that?

• Like 1

"That is invalid.  Nobody would have to be dragged there against their will.  All that would be required is a chance to see it is real."

~ mymistake

That would work if seeing would change a heart. It doesn't.

Bullshit.  You have an imaginary God and you have to tell yourself this crap to justify your belief in this imaginary God.  If your God actually existed and actually showed up then everyone else would have a reason to believe your God was real.  Nobody chooses to be tortured forever and nobody wants to be tortured forever.  Why do you imagine your God as such a horrible monster?

Guys, guys . . . A1 did answer the question already.  Post 48 of the Christinaity/atheism thread:

dang that hurt my brain lol ouch i cant..its hard to.. wow...never thought of that not even hypothetically

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64323-christiantyatheismnow-you-see-menow-you-dont/page-3#.VeRTf9NVhBc

Guest Furball

What about god's desire to eternally separate you from himself?

The bible says god chooses to leave people out of his presence. 

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. john 6:44

According to bible logic, no one willfully chooses to be separate from god, it's god who willfully chooses to keep people separate from himself.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

"That is invalid.  Nobody would have to be dragged there against their will.  All that would be required is a chance to see it is real."

~ mymistake

That would work if seeing would change a heart. It doesn't.

Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe. john 4:48

According to jesus, seeing will change the heart (cause the person to believe). 

Either you're lying or jesus is, which is it?

• Like 1

I'm not walking anybodys hand.

My hand's had plenty of exercise anyway. No problem.
Good.

Aside from that

I just find it unrelentingly odd....that I'm asked questions I already answered as if I never been asked that question before. Like a new fresh piece of meet on a the street. Like im a new hooker on the block.

Well, how much time are you going to spend telling us that you're NOT going to tell us why you believe in Jesus? :) Here, let me answer for you....

"Attention all, A1 believes in Jesus because he just knows Jesus is real and all that bible stuff is true. No, he does not have any concrete proof, no corroborating documents, no personal visitation from the Jesus. But he believes anyway....He believes, we don't believe. There we go. Yayy!"

How's that?

He believes, because if he doesn't he is going to Hell. Real truth comes when you shrug off your fears and follow the truth no matter where it leads you.

As far as I can figure it out, A1 has a number of religious beliefs, including some bound up in the theological construct, "sin." These beliefs include the belief that A1 is guilty of sin. They also include the belief that Jesus takes away sin. The whole belief set is mutually reinforcing, but I don't see an anchor in some pieces of non-theological evidence. "We all do bad things" is not evidence of the truth of theological assertions about "sin," since for bad actions to be "sins' already presumes that there is a God like Yahweh, etc.

• Like 1

"Nonsense!  Hell is never "necessary."  All your alleged god has to do is search the thoughts of the person in question and place them in a suitably satisfying afterlife." 

~ Astreja

God knows their thoughts, but he will not force a change in their will.

Since God foreknew the unforced choices of everyone before he created them, he would have foreknown who would freely choose to be with him and who wouldn't.

So why didn't he create only those people who wanted to be be with him and leave the rest as uncreated thoughts in his mind?

When answering, please remember that the above scenario doesn't violate any human free will.

?

Right through the Bible God wanted to show his glory and power. He let them burn as a show of vengeance and power. Just like he hardened the heart of the Pharao to show his power, so he created non believers to display his vengeance and satisfy his rage.

• Like 1

We are supposed to fear God. He gives humankind a reason to fear and respect him.

As far as I can figure it out, A1 has a number of religious beliefs, including some bound up in the theological construct, "sin." These beliefs include the belief that A1 is guilty of sin. They also include the belief that Jesus takes away sin. The whole belief set is mutually reinforcing, but I don't see an anchor in some pieces of non-theological evidence. "We all do bad things" is not evidence of the truth of theological assertions about "sin," since for bad actions to be "sins' already presumes that there is a God like Yahweh, etc.

I think you have identified and "figured out" more about A1's religious beliefs than A1 has identified or "figured out".

Right through the Bible God wanted to show his glory and power. He let them burn as a show of vengeance and power. Just like he hardened the heart of the Pharao to show his power, so he created non believers to display his vengeance and satisfy his rage.

Interesting point.  Isn't fiction great?

It's so simple:

You don't get to see heaven (or god) but you have to believe to get there.  It's your free will choice.

You don't get to see hell (or satan) but you don't have to believe to get there.  It's your free will choice.

All choices, for some reason, must be made before your earthly body dies or by Judgment Day (whichever comes first).

Why can't anyone understand how this works?

mwc

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Couldn't god have shown his power without burning billions stacked upon billions of helpless men, women, children, babies, and unborn babies????

Oh that's right, god is eternal, which makes his blood lust also never ending. Carry on with your unending murder count jesus. 

It's so simple:

You don't get to see heaven (or god) but you have to believe to get there.  It's your free will choice.

You don't get to see hell (or satan) but you don't have to believe to get there.  It's your free will choice.

All choices, for some reason, must be made before your earthly body dies or by Judgment Day (whichever comes first).

Why can't anyone understand how this works?

mwc

Exactly!  Christians cannot explain how not believing in both heaven and hell is choosing to go to one and not go to the other.

Presuming for a moment that we're all strict literalists, 'god' could have forgiven adam and eve - the original perps - and nobody would have been born into sin and sent to hell.

• Like 1

Presuming for a moment that we're all strict literalists, 'god' could have forgiven adam and eve - the original perps - and nobody would have been born into sin and sent to hell.

Exactly. Why not just bitch-slap that Eve bitch, tell her she can't have shoes or scarves or handbags, and be done with it?
  • Like 2