Goodbye Jesus

Pope Blasts World Leaders For Doing Nothing To Save Jews, Gays And Christians From Nazi Death Camps

Fweethawt

This is from 2 months ago but I don't recall it being discussed here.

As most of you know, the Catholic Church had their dick in Hitler's butt during this time. So that kinda makes the pope's rant a bit annoying. Read on...

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/religion/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/religion/pope-blasts-world-leaders&pubdate=2015-08-25&p=2

I really don't see what the point is in blaming a group of people who are long gone.  I think anyone who was 30 years old in 1940 would be 105 years old today -- are we going to bash the last geriatrics of their generation?  The Pope ought to think intelligently about how he can contribute to the present generation, not point fingers at other people who are long gone.  The first thing that he can do is admit that he is a sham and knows nothing more that you do about the "Divine" and the "Divine Will."  He will stop asking gay people to make the sacrifices they've endured for the past 2000 years.  He will admit that the earth is overpopulated and that Christian teaching concerning sex and family have contributed to that.  He can do things to lessen the chance that people 75 years from now will curse the name of him.

• Like 3

The Pope is a propagator of false morals, and the teachings of the Catholic Church continue to doom many to lives of misery, with more children than they can afford to feed. 

If he wants to do some good (And he is, compared to Pope Benedict) he should look to the current persecution of Gays and Christians in Iraq, and other such places. 

I forget, wasn't it Allied and Russian forces who liberated all the death camps? Or did the sitting Pope at the time personally liberate all the Jews?

This pope actually seems like a decent human being. His fatal flaw is that he's a Catholic. The Church he represents is one of the worst institutions in the history of the world. But other than that, Franky seems to be alright.

"World Blasts Church Leaders For Doing Nothing To Save Children From Pedophile Priests"

Now there's the headline we should be seeing. Or,

"Pope Sells Billions In Church Art And Property To Help The Poor, Saying Treasure Not Lain Up Here; Jesus Will Provide For Future"

I think the Catholic church is horrible. It's chosen leader can be no less horrible, IMHO.

• Like 2

There's nothing I love more than that old newsreel footage that shows the Pope putting on his Pope stuff, climbing up to the magical prayer pit at the top of St. Pete's and issuing the magical incantation that finally caused the end of WWII.  The burst of energy that comes down from the sky and issues forth from him him as it encircles the earth is just chilling.  It must have been an amazing day when that happened.  The rushing wind.  The trembling earth.  The dying enemies.  The cells flying open.  All thanks to the Pope with his decision to finally step in and do something unlike everyone else.  Thank you Pope.

mwc

• Like 4

Christianity played a huge role in creating the atmosphere for mass executions of "Christ killers." And Hitler was a proud Catholic. So fuck the Pope. 

• Like 3

There's nothing I love more than that old newsreel footage that shows the Pope putting on his Pope stuff, climbing up to the magical prayer pit at the top of St. Pete's and issuing the magical incantation that finally caused the end of WWII.  The burst of energy that comes down from the sky and issues forth from him him as it encircles the earth is just chilling.  It must have been an amazing day when that happened.  The rushing wind.  The trembling earth.  The dying enemies.  The cells flying open.  All thanks to the Pope with his decision to finally step in and do something unlike everyone else.  Thank you Pope.

mwc

yelrotflmao.gif 

Christianity played a huge role in creating the atmosphere for mass executions of "Christ killers." And Hitler was a proud Catholic. So fuck the Pope. 

A liberal and a leaning conservative agree completely on an issue, and they say the day of miracles is over!

this would have been a great headline 70-75 years ago. If we want to grow up from world war two, we (factions/nations/ideologies or religons) could accept what we did, were responsible for or contributed to, admit and publicly officially apologize to offended victims or their descendants, then learn, draw changes to our ways and implement them to become better than our great/grand parents. no one really got out of that war with their hands clean, even if their causes were just or necessary. we owe it to the victims to not over-simplify the conflict. nazis and hitler are evil and did bad because they were evil? so to prevent another war we just need to be on the lookout for evil! allgoods mate!(I am not going in the direction of defending nazis btw, just saying we shouldn't chalk up the biggest conflict in history to a 50's era movie villian story.

and seriously why point blame if it's way in the past and you have a bigger plank in your own eye, considering the Catholics association with the nazi regime at that time? I think this pope just like headlines.

this would have been a great headline 70-75 years ago...

Yet it's a headline two months ago...fun_84.gif

• Super Moderator

Fuck the pope and his criminal organization. This pope is an attention whore.

I'm sensing a lot of hate for the pope.

Believe me, I'm completely on board with criticisms of the Catholic church, and to the extent that the pope is the head of that Church, he may safely be criticized. But this pope is, in my opinion, a significant improvement over the previous douchewagon. He at least seems to be attempting to move the Catholic church into the 21st century on certain issues. I think that this is progress of a kind.

In other words, as long as the Catholic church exists, its representatives will perforce bear some of the blame for its hideous actions and preachments. But that does not mean that they are all equally bad. This particular pope seems to be trying to do what he can to stop some of the bleeding. That makes him not entirely evil in my view.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
This particular pope seems to be trying to do what he can to stop some of the bleeding.

Yep, he's the kindest Don in all five of the families. But then, you don't get to be Don without breaking a few legs on the way up.

Believe me, I'm completely on board with criticisms of the Catholic church, and to the extent that the pope is the head of that Church, he may safely be criticized. But this pope is, in my opinion, a significant improvement over the previous douchewagon. He at least seems to be attempting to move the Catholic church into the 21st century on certain issues. I think that this is progress of a kind.

In other words, as long as the Catholic church exists, its representatives will perforce bear some of the blame for its hideous actions and preachments. But that does not mean that they are all equally bad. This particular pope seems to be trying to do what he can to stop some of the bleeding. That makes him not entirely evil in my view.

I see your point, changing the direction of a thousand year+ inerrant organisation can be very difficult. if anyone has seen either of the shows "borgia" you can see that it is a-lot more political than saying whatever you think and commanding the faithful to do it. he is better than some of the more recent popes, but i wish is that he would take responsibility for church past actions. otherwise it's just re-branding the church with a liberal darling pope, but the substance is still the same. note he has done this on some occasions, such as admitting the church's treatment of gay people is not just (still opposing gays though) and chopped some heads in the Vatican over corruption, so we should give credit when it is due.

also to us this guy is relatively new to the scene, but he has been a member of the catholic church nearly all his life and been a cardinal before pope, so he is hardly an outsider radically changing the establishment. maybe it is not possible for him to achieve the changes he or we want in his lifetime because of how slow inerrant and a massive religious organisation/network changes, so he fights on some issues he can win and toes the party line on ones he can't.

• Like 1

This particular pope seems to be trying to do what he can to stop some of the bleeding.

Yep, he's the kindest Don in all five of the families. But then, you don't get to be Don without breaking a few legs on the way up.

Look, I'd prefer that the Catholic church just go away. But that's not happening. What that means is that someone has to be pope, and that person will necessarily be Catholic. That means that the pope will never be exactly what I want him to be. So making an awful institution a little bit better is literally the best that he can do. I think Franky is trying to do that. That's all.

• Like 1

I see your point, changing the direction of a thousand year+ inerrant organisation can be very difficult. if anyone has seen either of the shows "borgia" you can see that it is a-lot more political than saying whatever you think and commanding the faithful to do it. he is better than some of the more recent popes, but i wish is that he would take responsibility for church past actions. otherwise it's just re-branding the church with a liberal darling pope, but the substance is still the same. note he has done this on some occasions, such as admitting the church's treatment of gay people is not just (still opposing gays though) and chopped some heads in the Vatican over corruption, so we should give credit when it is due.

also to us this guy is relatively new to the scene, but he has been a member of the catholic church nearly all his life and been a cardinal before pope, so he is hardly an outsider radically changing the establishment. maybe it is not possible for him to achieve the changes he or we want in his lifetime because of how slow inerrant and a massive religious organisation/network changes, so he fights on some issues he can win and toes the party line on ones he can't.

Glad to see that someone catches my drift smile.png .

I see the bolded as an unfortunate reality. The Catholic church will never be governed by an outsider. The pope must come up through the ranks. This is unfortunate, but true. Given that this is the case, I think that slow, incremental change is the best that can be hoped for, and I think that the current pope is attempting that.

• Super Moderator

I get your point, disillusioned. I just disagree. I think this guy is into making news and being the Celebrity Pope. This pronouncement about the Nazis is ludicrous, but will make headlines. Perhaps he's the Antitrump.

I have to give credit where credit dues. At least Pope Francis replaced a douchebag Cardinal Dolan as the RCC voice in the US, appointed someone who seriously to solve the sex abuse issues and stopped the Vatican's war against the US nuns. I like the people who he appointed to solve social issues because I happen to agree with the premise of RCC to help the poor. I know it is not a radical change at least it is a start. Yes, it will be awesome if he sells all the arts in the Sistine Chapel and donate the proceeding to serve the poor however it will not happen.

The thing that I don't like is his fight against LGBT issues, birth control, traditional marriage and of course his faith. All of these overshadow his good side. However if he is really selling all RCC treasures to help the poor then I will like him definitely.

Would like to know if Eugenio Pacelli was one of those world leaders he had in mind.

I haven't heard of any plans to sell off anything the church owns. Is that just wishful thinking, or does somebody know something?

He seems like he understands and wants to promote the "spirit" of the Christian message - feed the hungry, take care of the poor, etc. he refused to live in the papal palace, and continues to take public transport. All good things previous popes did not do or only paid lip service to. I think the Catholic Church could do enormous good with all their money if they only would stop trying to protect it from lawsuits.

My concern is that even if he makes radical changes in the church, the next pope could just turn around and change it back, couldn't he? I'm not sure how that works for them. Also, I see him as being similar to the POTUS. There are some things he can do on his own, but most major things must go through "committees", and there's a whole lot of people in that organization who don't want anyone messing with their rice bowls.

I don't think the RCC will be having a big sale anytime soon. In my post on the first page I mentioned a headline I'd like to see. It'll never happen.

I haven't heard of any plans to sell off anything the church owns. Is that just wishful thinking, or does somebody know something?

Wishful thinking