Goodbye Jesus

Does God Tell People To Convert With Signs

Guest Ask21771

Well why can't you think the song was random?  Really this false belief you have is the source of your fear.

I'm worried that no explanation of mine will be enough for you in this seemingly panicked state. If you want a less existential answer take the words of mymistake to heart they may comfort you more than mine will. Also they are probably much more coherently stated.

Guest Ask21771

I'm worried that no explanation of mine will be enough for you in this seemingly panicked state. If you want a less existential answer take the words of mymistake to heart they may comfort you more than mine will. Also they are probably much more coherently stated.

What about something like the law of attraction like my subconscious did it or something

I TOLD YOU WHY!!!!! You're not helping me I NEED AN EXPLANATION THAT FITS!!!!!!

You said these lyrics were too specific.  Yet you can't even remember the song.  

There is an explanation that fits perfectly but you do not like it.

Guest Ask21771

The parts I remember:

"I am the cause of my own suffering"

"Let Jesus take the wheel"

The cause of my own suffering part was what I've been telling myself for the last few weeks tell me how that's a coincidence

when i say its an illusion th

What about something like the law of attraction like my subconscious did it or something

thats what I mean when I say it's an illusion. Your subconscious mind is playing tricks on you. 

Guest Ask21771

when i say its an illusion th

thats what I mean when I say it's an illusion. Your subconscious mind is playing tricks on you.

I mean my subconscious mind altered reality so I'd hear that song because of some subconscious desire to convert do you know anything about new age thought

The parts I remember:

The cause of my own suffering part was what I've been telling myself for the last few weeks tell me how that's a coincidence

Both of those are common memes.

I just googled "I am the cause of my own suffering" in quotes and got 16,800 pages.  How can this be specific to you if it has 16,800 other pages on the internet?

I take it the song you were listening to was not from Carrie Underwood?  Her song doesn't mention suffering.

Song writers use common themes in songs.  That is why songs become popular and successful.

I can't quite find the exact song.  Perhaps there was a slight variation that needs to be quoted exactly.

I mean my subconscious mind altered reality . . . 

No.  This is magical thinking.  It seems to me that magical thinking isn't doing you any favors.  If you realized the song was a coincidence then you would experience no fear.  Isn't that better?

• Like 1

The parts I remember:

lots of people feel the same thoughts and feelings. We are all biologically similar. When so many people have adopted an irrational explanation for these feelings it's hard not to believe it. mass hysteria type thing I guess. Many people find it hard not to rely on the most accepted explaination. The fact that the person in the song had the same feeling as you doesn't lend any validity to the conclusion they came to. 

Guest Ask21771

I mean my subconscious mind altered reality . . .

No.  This is magical thinking.  It seems to me that magical thinking isn't doing you any favors.  If you realized the song was a coincidence then you would experience no fear.  Isn't that better?

Being an atheist to me is almost as bad as being a Christian

Being an atheist to me is almost as bad as being a Christian

Why?  And yet you are the one suffering and in need.  Why is atheism bad?

Ok ask, you have officially lost me. You need to slow down. Your thoughts are all over the place, (not that I'm one to talk). Why do you seem to be arguing so stubbornly for something you claim to not want to believe?

Ok you want me to stop being afraid find me something against Christianity that no Christian could ever argue against

See post #22.  Actually I've never seen any Christian provide any argument that could withstand the slightest examination.  Christianity falls apart without blind faith.  It is founded on nothing, it contradicts itself and it's a pack of lies.

I didn't see you respond to any of the things I mentioned in post 22.  What do you think about that stuff?

For your convenience, let me copy and paste it again here:

The Problem of Evil proves that the Christian concept of God cannot exist.

Science proves that there was no Garden of Eden.   

No Garden of Eden  =>   No Fall from Grace  =>  No Original Sin  =>  No need for atonement  =>  Jesus died for nothing  =>  No reason to become a Christian

Archeology demonstrates that the Bible is put together from various older works stolen from older cultures.

How about the way the Old Testament God is a angry dictator who is always smiting people but Jesus is about love, compassion and forgiveness?  And they are suppose to be the same God who never changes?  That doesn't make a bit of sense.

How about the main purpose of the Bible is to have humans become saved yet the Bible cannot agree on how to be saved?  The Bible is constantly disagreeing with itself about it's very own core theme.  Or corse it is because it was written by God who is perfect but writes like he never made it past third grade.

How about the way every promise the Bible makes about life on Earth is a complete failure?  Christians do not live any better than anybody else.  They do not get changed into new creatures despite the Bible's promises.  And forget about all the claims about miracle help.  It never happens.  If the Bible fails us in this life then wouldn't everything it says about an "afterlife" be just as unreliable?

The upshot of it is that Christianity cannot be true.

Ok you want me to stop being afraid find me something against Christianity that no Christian could ever argue against

Christians are not rational. there is no way to back an irrational person into such a solid corner that they will cease to argue, and have some kind of rational epiphany

Because I can't find any other good explanation other then the one I don't want to believe

What we want to be true has nothing to do with what makes an answer solid or good.  Our wants have nothing to do with it.  This is a place for ex-Christians so there are thousands of members here who woke up one day and realized that no matter how much we want Christianity to be true it simply doesn't not hold water.  You seem to be at that spot as well.  You are not alone.

Guest Ask21771

Because I can't find any other good explanation other then the one I don't want to believe

What we want to be true has nothing to do with what makes an answer solid or good.  Our wants have nothing to do with it.  This is a place for ex-Christians so there are thousands of members here who woke up one day and realized that no matter how much we want Christianity to be true it simply doesn't not hold water.  You seem to be at that spot as well.  You are not alone.

I'll break this down for you THE ONLY EXPLANATION ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME IS THAT IT WAS A SIGN FROM GOD THAT I HAVE TO CONVERT!!!!!!

http://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd read the section ruminations. please go see a professional. I'm sure i am becoming a fairly irritating presence to you at this point, but i feel i must 

Let my try another angle.  Ask21771, do you have a history of depression?  Perhaps you should get tested to see if you might have bi-polar.  Something about this reminds me of our other members who struggle with it.

I don't need a psychiatrist I need an explanation that fits

I've given you that but the problem remains.  Talk to me.  Why is atheism bad?  How do you respond to the things that make Christianity impossible?  See post 43 for the details.

Look it's getting late here.  I need to get some sleep.  I do want to help you but there is only so much I can do on my end.