Goodbye Jesus

Does God Tell People To Convert With Signs

Guest Ask21771

http://ocdla.com/scrupulosity-ocd-religion-faith-belief-2107 I'm sure this is getting irritating. But you have asked for help and you found this site. A rational person would not be so obsessed to find an explanation that fits, that they abandon all reason in order to find it. And what do you mean by fits? fits into what? If you mean "fits into what you already believe", and mymistakes' concise and knowledgeable  answers don't fit the bill, then your preconceived notions are faulty and you need to start over from square one. I'm sorry. It's a hard pill to swallow. Keep asking. 

Start here

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

and realize this isn't going to happen overnight, it's not a statement one can make - we.. nobody can fix what you feel in one statement or meme, or easy sentence. It's a process. It take some work and time to get through this stuff. It has taken me quite a while to untangle myself from the indoctrination and illusions of religion. I'm sure most here can attest to this. We are here to support anyone who is leaving christianity - but there are no miracles here, we are kind of the opposite of that. 

We have rationality and truth and compassion... and facts, evidence, logic... friendship, laughter, reality, once you are ready for it. It takes time.

If you are feeling this much distress than I humbly submit something more is going on here... panic is not a natural state and I should know I have a panic disorder... 

My first post to you was given in all compassion... I know how you feel and I apologize if I didn't come across that way, I've been there - but it isn't a simple fix, and you have to be willing to look at how you see the world - because that's what religion does to us, it messes with our ability to think rationally... it creates fear. It have given us a warped sense of how things really work. It LIED to us. That cause cognitive blips in us.

I don't need a psychiatrist I need an explanation that fits

The best explanation is confirmation bias.

http://skepdic.com/confirmbias.html

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/fl/What-Is-a-Confirmation-Bias.htm

Unfortunately based on your previous reactions to answers given, I don't think learning about confirmation bias or other logical fallicies will help.

Because I can't find any other good explanation other then the one I don't want to believe

What we want to be true has nothing to do with what makes an answer solid or good.  Our wants have nothing to do with it.  This is a place for ex-Christians so there are thousands of members here who woke up one day and realized that no matter how much we want Christianity to be true it simply doesn't not hold water.  You seem to be at that spot as well.  You are not alone.

I'll break this down for you THE ONLY EXPLANATION ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME IS THAT IT WAS A SIGN FROM GOD THAT I HAVE TO CONVERT!!!!!!

Then you should go ahead and convert, since your explanation is the only explanation that makes sense to you.  Are you afraid of converting?

Ok you want me to stop being afraid find me something against Christianity that no Christian could ever argue against

That will never happen.

Christians will always be able to provide reasons for their faith.

Oh an while we're at it, Muslims, HIndus, and every other religious person on the planet will be able to provide reasons for their faith.

The question is, how convincing are their reasons? To me and many others, not convincing enough.

Maybe you need to look at other sources of information.

I would suggest youtube vids by Matt Dillahunty and AronRa.

There are also tons of great podcasts available.

The Atheist Experience

The Thinking Atheist

Skeptics Guide to the Universe

It was, simply put, a set-up:

"I am the cause of my own suffering"

"Let Jesus take the wheel"

I'm going to have to assume that the song was a Christian one, given the topic.

About a third of the world population, and the vast majority of the people who listen to such music are literally trained from birth to believe that these words apply to them. It's the whole premise of the religion. (That suffering is the human condition, and only Jesus can cure it.) If you're on this site, you are one of these people. Of course you think it applies to you: you have been acculturated to believe that this is true, not just for yourself, but the basic state of humanity in general. For the writers of the song, it's like shooting fish in a barrel: if they write a song in accord with the basic tenets of a major world religion, they can't help but reach a large audience. 

In a more specific way, it's like fortune cookies, or those newspaper astrologists. Just put words together that can apply to a huge number of people, and everyone will think it's written just for them.

I'll believe that a song is written literally for me, when it has my exact name in it, or other very precise, individually identifying personal features. 

Note that love songs are also similarly vague: it's always "hey baby baby I'm so in love with you" or whatever. This could apply to literally billions of people, as about 50% of the world population, and make the song writers lots of money.

Never: "hey Sandra Elaine Brown, you're so cute. Your extra left-hand pinky finger gives you so much character." This can only apply to one person, and won't get the song writer any money. (<Edit: I made all this identifying stuff up, just FYI.)

I mean, seriously, the God that supposedly created the universe can't be bothered to communicate directly and specifically, and has to do it secondhand through vague pop songs that can apply to millions of people, rather than the single person God's trying to reach? I call BS on the whole concept.

• Like 3

Guest Ask21771

I came up with a possible explanation: what if God did arrange for this not to convert me but to save me from my obsessive behavior

I came up with a possible explanation: what if God did arrange for this not to convert me but to save me from my obsessive behavior

If that's the case, then it certainly hasn't worked very well.  This God you mention has failed, at least in this task.

You may wish to study the term "Scrupulosity".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrupulosity

• Like 1

"Coming up" with a hypothesis like this is already playing make believe. You can't build sound ideas off of superstition. You are asking for answers that support a belief you already have. This is errant logic. But OK, if that is your hypothesis, lets dissect it. So you claim that its possible that god arranged for this not to convert you, but to save you from your obsessive behavior. Why do you believe in a god, have you always believed in a god, what do you believe about said god and why. please carefully adress these questions and reply with your answers

Jesus told gentiles that if they don't believe him at least believe in the miracles he shown them... Jesus converted Paul with a big sign and the same with Constantine but something on the radio is not the signs God would give.... E.g if he gave you a sign history tells us you would not be here asking

Ask21771 read the works of Celsus, Porphyry and Julian the Apostate they give a full account of Christianity's problems... Celsus points out how scribes changed scripture as though they were drunkards

Guest Ask21771

"Coming up" with a hypothesis like this is already playing make believe. You can't build sound ideas off of superstition. You are asking for answers that support a belief you already have. This is errant logic. But OK, if that is your hypothesis, lets dissect it. So you claim that its possible that god arranged for this not to convert you, but to save you from your obsessive behavior. Why do you believe in a god, have you always believed in a god, what do you believe about said god and why. please carefully adress these questions and reply with your answers

No I don't need to dissect it I know what you're trying to do and i am not becoming an atheist

You don't have any idea what I am trying to do. You need to dissect everything. I would never try to convince anyone their beliefs are wrong, unless they are miserable, and have directly asked people to convince them their beliefs are wrong. You get what you ask for. You can make up what you want to believe, whatever. dont follow the rules of logic if you don't want to. but regardless, if you are trying not to be afraid, I will be here if you want to hash it out over and over and over and over again. My words, however irritating you find them, are a hell of a lot better than having ZERO input from others, and being forced to go it alone like i had to. 

It's possible we are being trolled.

Either way, this person needs professional help.

It's possible we are being trolled.

Either way, this person needs professional help.

That had crossed my mind but If that's the case, Its certainly executed poorly. and yes to the professional help. 

To answer the original Q... No

Ask is not a troll. He has several similar threads here, they all are about him feeling "the call" to convert and how he doesn't want to convert. He already believes in a god, and he refuses to take an atheist point of view because he fears hell and feels the call so strongly.

No I don't need to dissect it I know what you're trying to do and i am not becoming an atheist

She is trying to help you.  It is what you asked us to do.  Could you at least tell me why you dislike atheism so much?

Ask, I was New Age once. It's only another religion, it's not knowledge even though it markets itself as such. Law of Attraction may not at all be us changing the physical world with our thoughts - more likely it only changes what we perceive. We notice the things that match our thoughts, and ignore the rest. And the world is so full of things and stuff, something's going to click.

How often do you drive around with no such gospel songs coming from the radio?

Mymistake explained why Christianity falls apart right at Garden of Eden. If that story can't be true, the rest isn't reliable either.

Law of Attraction may not at all be us changing the physical world with our thoughts - more likely it only changes what we perceive. We notice the things that match our thoughts, and ignore the rest. And the world is so full of things and stuff, something's going to click.

How often do you drive around with no such gospel songs coming from the radio?

You're correct.

This is exactly the point I made in a previous post when he asked for an explanation of what happened to him. It's called confirmation bias.

Ask is not a troll. He has several similar threads here, they all are about him feeling "the call" to convert and how he doesn't want to convert. He already believes in a god, and he refuses to take an atheist point of view because he fears hell and feels the call so strongly.

So come ask athiests what they think... Makes sense to me
  • Like 1

• Super Moderator

HELP ME!!!!

This is an online forum. We are not psychiatrists, and even if we were, you can't be helped via the Internet. Please seek some professional help immediately.

Ask this place helps people including me to leave Christianity if ur thinking about being a Christian just do it don't confuse lurkers by having Christian rebuttals on replies GOTO lions den

Good point. We're not here to help you convert.

Do it if you feel better. I won't be mad. But don't expect me to give you good reasons to do so because I don't have any.

No god. No god talking through the radio.

I had 2 fortune cookies today that fit my circumstances. But if you think I'd listen to a baked good for advice you'd be mistaken.

• Like 1