Goodbye Jesus

Beautiful Example Of Christ-Like Christian Compassion

bornagainathiest

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/permanently-closed-shadrack-meshach-and-abednego.7910022/

(If this link fails, please go to Christianforums.com, select the 'Exploring Christianity' section of the 'Outreach' sub-forum and scroll down to the thread marked [PERMANENTLY CLOSED] Shadrack, Meshach and Abednego.  Begun by Dean W on Sep 27, 2015.)

Dean asks the following question. (Based on the events described in Daniel 3.)

"The Bible praises the courage and integrity of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and their willingness to face certain death in order to do what they believed was right.  This evil tyrant threatened to burn them alive in a furnace if they did not worship the right god.  This evil King was the epitome of cruelty and violence and evil."

"Jesus also threatens to kill or torture people with a fiery furnace if they do not worship him and accept him and love him."

"What is the difference?".

I've posted this link to Christianforums because I find the Christian responses to Dean's question most illuminating.

Most interesting.  Most revealing.  Especially since Jesus sought out the company of sinners and had compassion upon them - regardless of their circumstances.  Nowhere in the Gospels does it say that his compassion towards them was in any way conditional on who or what they were, what they said or didn't say to him or what they believed or didn't believe.  And do we see such unquestioning, unconditional, Christ-like compassion shown towards Dean by the Christians who respond to him?

Well, follow the link and see for yourself.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

Wow.. they said absolutely nothing, and then closed the thread.

I'm amazed at their openness and willingness to defend their beliefs  lol... not very 'christ-like' is it?

I'm not entirely sure that I understand why that thread was closed in the end. Even though most of the people replying were acting like complete assholes, the user named ViaCrucis appeared to be the only one attempting to explain anything or give any sort of response beyond, "You're just wrong and I don't care to reply to you, ya evil atheist!" Some of what he had to say, I actually thought of as interesting, but unfortunately was not able to see any more of what he had to say before the thread was closed.

Some of the guidelines they have for that particular area of the website do appear to offer possible explanations.

Blasphemy
The site-wide rules prohibit all blasphemy on this site. To clarify, members will not speak in a disrespectful way of the Christian God. Expressing disbelief in God is acceptable, as is questioning Christian beliefs, but this should be done in a polite, respectful manner.

Statement of Faith
All replies in this forum must be in accordance with the CF Statement of Faith (SoF). This means that your replies cannot disagree with the SOF. As an example, you may not answer a seeker’s question with a statement that God is not a Trinity, nor may you state that Jesus was merely a very good, human leader. All replies must help the questioner to understand orthodox Christian beliefs and practices, and the theology on which they are based.

No real explanation was given in the thread as to who was breaking the rules or which ones were being broken. Either it is because Dean W pissed someone off by comparing their god to an evil human king, or because the responses given to Dean W by ViaCrucis were in disagreement with the dogma of the people in charge of CF.

It is always crazy though to go onto Christian forums and see how easily non-believers get banned or have their threads locked, compared to how many Christians come on here and nothing happens to them for preaching. Perhaps those Christians need to grow a thicker skin, eh?

And when Dean refers CivilWarBuff to 1 Peter 3 : 15, said Christian still demands an explanation before he'll do anything sympathetic, humble or compassionate...!

Here's the Peter quote in it's full context.

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult.On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For,

“Whoever would love life
    and see good days
must keep their tongue from evil
    and their lips from deceitful speech.
11 They must turn from evil and do good;
    they must seek peace and pursue it.
12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
    and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”[a]

13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats[b]; do not be frightened.”[c] 15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 

Where does it say that Christians must have their questions answered before they'll fulfill their duty to explain the reason (Jesus Christ) for their hope..? 

Where's the gentleness and respect?

Wendyshrug.gif

They sounded like most of the Internet to me. Nothing special except their condescension based on superior magical thinking. Certainly nothing that makes me miss Christianity. Ha just the opposite.

• Like 2

I think you've raised a really interesting question (the fiery furnace and fiery hell).

Too bad they wouldn't give you any insight.

Guest Furball

Typical christians. They never answer a direct question with a direct answer. It is always deflect, deflect, and deflect. The trick for them is to try and take the person asking them the direct question down a rabbit trail, such as, answering a question with a question, or just throwing out a ton of bible verses to drown the person out, such as, the natural man accepts not the things of god etc. Their tactics are so easy to spot. One thing I have learned about dealing with christians as an atheist, is that they hate it when people ask smart questions. Christians feel if they just start spouting a bunch of bible verses, they are proving the questioner to be in the wrong somehow. All those christian responses in that thread did nothing but show the reader that they didn't have a rational answer for the OP's rational question. It's easy to see why the thread was closed down. 

• Like 2

Atheist: I didnt think you had an answer. Only avoidance and deflection. Thank you. Goodbye.

I like what crazyguy123 said:

"I'm not entirely sure that I understand why that thread was closed in the end. Even though most of the people replying were acting like complete assholes, the user named ViaCrucis appeared to be the only one attempting to explain anything or give any sort of response beyond, "You're just wrong and I don't care to reply to you, ya evil atheist!" Some of what he had to say, I actually thought of as interesting, but unfortunately was not able to see any more of what he had to say before the thread was closed."

I'm not a member, but I'm thinking of joining just to see if I can get an answer from a Mod.

Before you join up Ironhorse, why don't you tell us what you would have said to Dean..?

(Btw, you only need to scroll this page up to the top to see his question.)

Please tell us what your reply to DeanW would be, Ironhorse.