Goodbye Jesus

Why Does Christianity Do This?!

DivineBlasphemer

I go to church with my mother because i havent came out as athiest yet because i couldnt do it to her, i love her and i wouldnt want her to worry about me.

But, to start my topic, we were sitting in church and it was almost time to let out and this lady comes out of the pews and starts talking to the preacher. I couldnt see her face, but i could hear her crying. This made me sick. At the end of the service, she "gave her testimony" and said the turned away from the church and she turned away from Jesus. She wasn't just crying, she was purely emotionally wrecked. Her hands were shaking her lip was quivering and she couldnt control her breathing. On top of this, our pianist and the organist were playing Washed In The Blood very slowly to further elicit an emotional response. I rode home angry because the very idea of making somebody so guilty that they cry uncontrollably made me livid. I cant forgive the church for making so many people fall to their knees and repent for something they didnt do.

• Like 3

I agree it's horribly manipulative and takes advantage of people's vulnerable emotional state, or indeed even if not all that vulnerable it's manipulative in the way it takes normal emotions and enhances and encourages them to be and to become something more than they are through the use of music, atmosphere and powerful language. It's not on.

But, some people do thrive on this kind of thing. It's cathartic. Having a ritualistic way to "cleanse" oneself, to explore and express their emotion in a heightened sense can be appealing for some people. I recall the buzz I got from intense church meetings where people were emotional, the "spirit" was moving that kind of thing.

That doesn't make it right or okay, because it is manipulative and false in many ways, but the reason it happens is not purely as a result of the manipulative and controlling aspect of the church system and leaders, it's because it does something for the individuals too.

The problem is most Christians Have nefarious agendas. There can be several dynamics at work here in the situation. I think people get off on power trips and enjoy making themselves feel like they have authority over others. Pastor's Also make their living off of the gospel and whether pastors truly believe it or not, if they don't do everything in their power to keep their pews filled with people, then they will not be able to feed their families. It's simple economics, fewer people in church means fewer Tithers, less tithers means less money for the church. Another thing to remember is that human beings are trying to make sense of this madness. We live in a mad, unjust world with evil all around and the big problem is Christians don't "love their neighbors" as themselves. If Christians truly were living the Bible instead of just talking it, they Wouldn't have to manipulate emotionally vulnerable people. I would also like to point out since The Bible is full of irrational philosophies, this is what happens when people believe in irrational things instead of logic, reason and science. I believe in love and I believe that love is a product of what you give to somebody else. Love has nothing to do with romance, love is truly having somebody's best interest in mind and wanting to help them in a difficult situation. I believe that we need love in this world, the kind of love that wants to get to the root cause of problems and provide a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on. Christians simply do not love people. Christians don't truly want a lot of people because that takes sacrifice and that means they're going to have to deny themselves their own selfish desires and since money is really the God of Christians and not God, they don't practice what they preach and this is the fundamental flaw of Christianity. Here's how Jesus to find loving your neighbor which again most Christians do not do: Luke 10:25-37

The Parable of the Good Samaritan.

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and 

went away, leaving him half dead.  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So 

too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when 

he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him 

to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will 

reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’ “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

I go to church with my mother because i havent came out as athiest yet because i couldnt do it to her, i love her and i wouldnt want her to worry about me.

But, to start my topic, we were sitting in church and it was almost time to let out and this lady comes out of the pews and starts talking to the preacher. I couldnt see her face, but i could hear her crying. This made me sick. At the end of the service, she "gave her testimony" and said the turned away from the church and she turned away from Jesus. She wasn't just crying, she was purely emotionally wrecked. Her hands were shaking her lip was quivering and she couldnt control her breathing. On top of this, our pianist and the organist were playing Washed In The Blood very slowly to further elicit an emotional response. I rode home angry because the very idea of making somebody so guilty that they cry uncontrollably made me livid. I cant forgive the church for making so many people fall to their knees and repent for something they didnt do.

This is manipulative.

It's sad that a grown woman was reduced to a simmering puddle of tears in public.  It's sad she was encouraged to do this.

But as an adult you have to take responsibility for your own actions, and so does that woman.  I mean, I do feel bad that she was reduced to childish, public tears, but she is still ultimately responsible for herself.  I, too, would be mad at that church for keeping her in that child-like state.