Goodbye Jesus

I Still Think I'm Right

Guest end3

We are much more forgiving of ourselves than others because we know ourselves. If we took the time to know others as well as we know ourselves, then we might find a little more grace for each other. Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life.

Double dog dare you atheist types to refute this.

Of course you still think you are right; as if anything could change that.

If I were to quote Yoda about "the Force" this wouldn't mean anything in the real world because Yoda was a fictional character (just like Christ) and "the Force" is a fictional power (just like God the Father).

You use "grace" to mean many things it does not mean.  That kind of puts a dampener on conversation when everyone else is using words the way the dictionary defines them.

You really shouldn't generalize about the whole human population based on your own personality.  There are people who can't learn how to forgive themselves.

And finally you have no evidence for eternal life but there is plenty of evidence that it's wishful thinking.

So yeah, aside from being wrong on every point, you still think you are right.

• Like 3

I'm not a very forgiving person in the first place. However, in my own life I find that I more quickly forgive others before I forgive myself.

That's about as much of a refutation anyone can give on this, End.

• Super Moderator

Yeah, empathy is good.

When I was a Pente Christian, I hated my own guts and physically beat myself up over stuff regularly. I had huge problems with the "Love Thy Neighbor As Thy Self" because it assumed people were very self-loving and should share it, but I did not love myself, yet I bent over backwards to please other people (for various reasons). 

Much later I figured out that if I was able to say I "loved" a friend, I should treat myself with the same standards I treat them. Which meant upping my standards for how I treated myself re forgiving myself and being gentle with myself.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been through this.

For some it sure works to try and love others too and not just themselves, I know there are many Christians who say that God keeps them from being rapists and murderers, for Pete's sake...!

But none of these things apply to all of the general population.

• Like 1

Yeah, empathy is good.

It's more than that. If a doctor knows physiology, then they use it to heal/extend life.

If we know about environment, we may use that to improve the quality of life.

Ultimately, the more we know, i.e. the more omniscient we become, the more we move towards eternal life.

I'm not a very forgiving person in the first place. However, in my own life I find that I more quickly forgive others before I forgive myself.

That's about as much of a refutation anyone can give on this, End.

Happens for me that way as well....in reverse. I've had to learn to understand more rational standards for myself. So really, I have had to know myself before I can be more effective knowing others. Don't know how that happens other than "interesting" parenting. Wish I had started this endeavor long before I did.

Forgiveness is overrated.  And sometimes disingenuous in the case of christians.

Someone might murder their daughter, and they publically come out and say "we forgive the guy who murdered our daughter".  Because they want to do what Jesus told them to do.

Someone harms one of my kids, the very last thing they would ever get from me is forgiveness.  And I could care less what the bible has to say about it. 

There are a few people over the years who have intentionally caused me harm.  They are on my death wish list. And they always will be.  

The bible says if you don't forgive, then you won't be forgiven.  It says a lot of other stupid shit too. 

• Like 2

Forgiveness is overrated.  And sometimes disingenuous in the case of christians.

Someone might murder their daughter, and they publically come out and say "we forgive the guy who murdered our daughter".  Because they want to do what Jesus told them to do.

Someone harms one of my kids, the very last thing they would ever get from me is forgiveness.  And I could care less what the bible has to say about it. 

There are a few people over the years who have intentionally caused me harm.  They are on my death wish list. And they always will be.  

The bible says if you don't forgive, then you won't be forgiven.  It says a lot of other stupid shit too.

My point is M, that if we knew whoever well enough to understand their motivations, then we would probably be more apt to forgive. What you are describing is stopping in the middle of the process.

But, talking about the intentional harm....sounds like you are choosing the same fate for them as God because you "know" it was intentional.

Back in the day, your avatar danced?

You seem to be using the word forgive in a Christian sense.  Christians get forgiveness wrong.

Back in the day, your avatar danced?

Wow.  You have a good memory, end3.  Because that was a long time ago!

Not sure why the avatar quit dancing.  If you click on my username, he still dances in the bio.  Maybe ex-c put a limit on bandwidth or something for avatars.

But, I do know what you are saying.  The old indian saying - "walk a mile in my moccasins".  And there are times when I do forgive someone, or just let a mean comment slide, because I try to understand where they are coming from.  

But sometimes you can be harmed by someone who did it just to be mean.  Because they are mean.  If they have something in their past that made them mean, I don't care.  I wash my hands of them and want nothing more to do with them.  Perhaps it's not the christian way.  I don't care.  I'm not a christian.

Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life.

This is a genuine and serious question. Can you provide references to back up this statement?

Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life.

This is a genuine and serious question. Can you provide references to back up this statement?

Jhn 17:3

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Who is the subject of this verse?

And I could care less what the bible has to say about it.

It's, couldn't -- couldn't care less.

Just sayin'.

Ultimately, the more we know, i.e. the more omniscient we become, .......

1. Nobody lives long enough to attain omniscience.

2. How can one become "MORE omniscient"? That's like saying, 'That pencil will eventually become infinite% pencil'.

2. How can one become "MORE omniscient"? That's like saying, 'That pencil will eventually become infinite% pencil'.

Well silly-

54353572.jpg

I gather Jesus is praying about the twelve.

Well silly-

54353572.jpg

Becoming more omniscient....as in knowing more, for example, the medical field knowing more about the human body as time passes.

Turning your cheek to someone slapping you means two slaps vs one.

In my 40 year experience with Christianity I never met a believer who knew the meaning of the word grace, much less practiced it, or extended it to anyone else. Christianity is all about keeping rules, obeying laws, & following traditions. In other words it is all about legalism & finding fault with others is a big part of the legalism.

When I became aware of Ephesians 2:8-10 I realized playing church with all of its rules & laws is not necessary. That passage literally means salvation comes from faith & faith alone, but the church would be out of business if they acknowledged that.

But as others have noted the Bible is fiction, so it matters not what it says.

• Like 2

I gather Jesus is praying about the twelve.

If that is the case, how does this apply to you and the average Christian?

End,

So that we can have a better idea of what you mean by grace, could you please show us a worked example of it, here in Ex-C..?

Thanks,

BAA.

Well silly-

<snip>

Becoming more omniscient....as in knowing more, for example, the medical field knowing more about the human body as time passes.

Um, no, omniscience is impossible. So is eternal life. There is only so much that can be done to extend life, and there is only so much anyone can learn in their lives. We will never be omniscient, we will never know everything about everything.

Knowing more about something doesn't bring us closer to omniscience, at least not outside of a bullshit colloquial sense. Omniscience is a made up concept that ancient people decided to attribute to their gods. It, much like eternal life, and gods, is a fairy tale. It's a term that equates to "my god's dick is the biggest dick in or outside of the whole of existence and no other gods dick can possibly be bigger, so nyeh!".

You basically said "exercising makes us more omnipotent", or "cameras make us more omnipresent".