Goodbye Jesus

I Still Think I'm Right

Guest end3

Ultimately, the more we know, i.e. the more omniscient we become, .......

1. Nobody lives long enough to attain omniscience.

2. How can one become "MORE omniscient"? That's like saying, 'That pencil will eventually become infinite% pencil'.

Well silly-

<snip>

Becoming more omniscient....as in knowing more, for example, the medical field knowing more about the human body as time passes.

Um, no, omniscience is impossible. So is eternal life. There is only so much that can be done to extend life, and there is only so much anyone can learn in their lives. We will never be omniscient, we will never know everything about everything.

Knowing more about something doesn't bring us closer to omniscience, at least not outside of a bullshit colloquial sense. Omniscience is a made up concept that ancient people decided to attribute to their gods. It, much like eternal life, and gods, is a fairy tale. It's a term that equates to "my god's dick is the biggest dick in or outside of the whole of existence and no other gods dick can possibly be bigger, so nyeh!".

You basically said "exercising makes us more omnipotent", or "cameras make us more omnipresent".

Didn't every say that we would get there...but it's a decent concept. The fact remains when our knowledge grows so does our ability move towards longer/"eternal" life. It reasonable to say our lifespans are longer due to our knowledge. If you can't extrapolate that out to "eternal"...no biggie...I'm not that literal in my examples

It really isn't a decent concept. Did you not read the part about god dicks? That was kind of important, and I put a lot of thought into it. Frankly I'm a little hurt that you just skimmed over it.

I think we need some space...

It really isn't a decent concept. Did you not read the part about god dicks? That was kind of important, and I put a lot of thought into it. Frankly I'm a little hurt that you just skimmed over it.

I think you are missing the point by inserting (no pun intended), some other thoughts. The point is simply, that the more we know, the more we use it towards providing life, and the theoretical "eternal" life to others. Nothing really to do with deciding who's god is bigger. That is not my point.

I note your point, and admit it could be a possibility. Sounds like my childhood playground where the kids would say mine is better than yours....

Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life.

This is a genuine and serious question. Can you provide references to back up this statement?

Jhn 17:3

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Who is the subject of this verse?

I gather Jesus is praying about the twelve.

If that is the case, how does this apply to you and the average Christian?

I think we are trying to understand Jesus and God just the same as the twelve.

Uses  every  single  term  incorrectly

KirkCameron.jpg?resize=390%2C285

Still  thinks  he  is  right

I think you are missing the point by inserting (no pun intended), some other thoughts. The point is simply, that the more we know, the more we use it towards providing life, and the theoretical "eternal" life to others. Nothing really to do with deciding who's god is bigger. That is not my point.

I note your point, and admit it could be a possibility. Sounds like my childhood playground where the kids would say mine is better than yours....

Oh come on, that's a great pun.

I know you aren't talking about whose god is more hung in this case. But the term omniscient is basically a condensed way of saying exactly what I wrote, except, you know, with knowledge, instead of cocks.

Eternal is also a rather meaningless concept.

I know you aren't talking about whose god is more hung in this case. But the term omniscient is basically a condensed way of saying exactly what I wrote, except, you know, with knowledge, instead of cocks.

Thanks, I thought it wasn't bad...lol. Math uses infinity? Is it meaningless to ponder in that discipline?

Your statement is extremely disorganized end 3. Title :"I still think I'm right" ...............................oookay moving on  "We are much more forgiving of ourselves than others because we know ourselves." Who is we? What is forgiving? 

I have a much harder time "forgiving" myself for actions that hurt others or even make them mildly uncomfortable, than "forgiving"  someone who wrongs me.  What does forgiveness even mean? From my perspective, forgiveness most often serves a purpose for the self. If someone has wronged you,  and you choose not to associate with them so they can no longer hurt you, obsessing about it further can be pathological,so it is better to let it go, which is my closest definition of forgiveness. To let something go that can be let go, that cannot be changed, and no longer affects you. In a mental battle, bearing yourself gracefully is the highest option. Grace has nothing to do with empathy. Forgiveness is not always associated with empathy and when it is, it can be damaging. If you forgive someone else in self interest, you are protecting yourself,it has nothing to do with empathy. If you forgive out of empathy, then what are you doing? Choosing not to be angry because the other person didn't know better?  Choosing to let go because you think you were also at fault? Choosing to give someone another chance despite their damaging behavior because you feel a moral obligation to do it? (this can be enabling behavior, unhealthy for both parties.)

" If we took the time to know others as well as we know ourselves, then we might find a little more grace for each other." I find from personal experience, that it is much easier to understand the intricacies of another person than it is to understand ones self, if that is what you mean by "know" And this knowledge does not affect whether I forgive someone.   Their actions affect my response. Did they hurt me? If so, Is it preventable in the future? Ok, how do I prevent it. Is forgiveness choosing to think with your logical brain instead of having an animal "hulk smash" response or a tantrum? This is undoubtedly the better response, but again, has less to do with empathy toward a person whose actions you can rationalize and more to do with self preservation. 

"Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life." OOOOk , so what does this have to do with your previous assertions? Do you mean jesus said we are supposed to livelike him? turning the other cheek, or we will be damned to hell? Serious question is that how that statement is supposed to tie in? because I don't understand the connection otherwise. Again "our". who are you speaking of. Which of two people would be god and which one would be jesus in that scenario? Our relationships should all be analogous to their relationship. OK, so lets all mystically impregnate a teenage girl with our magical seed, let the kid grow up, do some good stuff with his magical powers, but the plan is to kill him/us to save everyone else from the evil we created ourselves but it's ok because we forgive us and everyone else and we planned the whole debacle from the beginning? It's ok guys though if we follow that plan we will all be resurrected anyway. 

• Super Moderator

"Grace" seems to be the buzzword in most of these discussions.

(in Christian belief) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.

(via Google)

So perhaps humans should strive toward this goal of granting unmerited favor and blessings. Perhaps the best of us accept welfare moms and illegal aliens with open arms. Possibly we would cheerfully give up our guns to the Godless Liberals and wish them well, as they believe they are doing the right thing, too. Child molesters and mass murderers, while they should be stopped, are also entitled to our good favor and our blessings. The more unmerited our grace is, the more it's needed.

But then there's the history of that Bible God and grace. It wasn't freely given to everyone, worthy or unworthy. Sometimes he might afflict one with hardship, mark one people for destruction and rape and slavery and murder, or just say "fuck it" and cruelly drown every man, woman, child, kitten and bunny supposedly because his creations did as he omniciently knew they would do before the planet was even created. 

So it seems we humans are already doling out the grace card much the same way the Christian God does it. Hey! We're His Spittin' Image!!!!

(DISCLAIMER)  Nobody wants to take your guns. There are as many Liberal gun owners as there are Conservative gun owners. It's Republican divisive propaganda for political purposes.

It's, couldn't -- couldn't care less.

Just sayin'.

No - I could care less.  I don't care very much right now, but if I were pushed, I could care even less.  

Like end3 - I still think I'm right.  thisclose.gif

• Like 1

end3 is working his way towards omniscience. Probably in the next life.

It takes christianity to make you think you become smarter once you're brain-dead

• Like 1

Thanks, I thought it wasn't bad...lol. Math uses infinity? Is it meaningless to ponder in that discipline?

From my understanding infinity is what you get when you have errors in your equations, they mean you got something wrong somewhere. For example, the unification of quantum mechanics and Einstein's general/special relativity, on their own, they work really well. When you try to combine them, the closer you get to the singularity of a black hole, the more everything falls apart and starts spitting out infinite numbers. Though I'll let someone more versed in the mathematical discipline then I am go into more detail, if they want.

I personally don't see any practical reason to contemplate the concept of infinity, we really can't understand it anyway. Not that I think no one should contemplate it, there are plenty of non practical things we do for no other reason then "it's fun". But eternal life? I think it's safe to say that will never happen. Extended? Yes. Eternal? No.

You're using very extreme, unachievable concepts to judge the progress of various fields, it's not very useful. It's like using instead of a measuring tape with inches/millimeters to measure how long something is, you're using fractions of astronomical units... It's ridiculously comical.

You cannot conflate math and religon. Math is a discipline that is exact and need proofs. Religion is faith based, by definition religion doesn't do any proofing.

• Like 1

You cannot conflate math and religon. Math is a discipline that is exact and need proofs. Religion is faith based, by definition religion doesn't do any proofing.

With due respect, and I will get to other responses later, this statement seems absurd.

With due respect, and I will get to other responses later, this statement seems absurd.

What the hell?  Religion and math are polar opposites.  It should be obvious that they don't mix.

End,

So that we can have a better idea of what you mean by grace, could you please show us a worked example of it, here in Ex-C..?

Thanks,

BAA.

I can think of an example, End.

Can you?

End,

So that we can have a better idea of what you mean by grace, could you please show us a worked example of it, here in Ex-C..?

Thanks,

BAA.

Can you?

Why the hateful rhetoric? You have that much pain in your life?

End,

Thanks,

BAA.

Can you?

There is no hateful rhetoric, End.

I'm simply asking you a question.

Could you please show us a worked example of grace in this forum, so that we can have a better idea of how you are using the word grace..?

Worked examples are great ways of getting others to see what you mean.

Doing that would help communication and foster better understanding.

Please, End.

It isn't.  Why are you so resistant to truth?  Whenever somebody says something true it scares the hell out of you and you retreat into fantasy or nonsense.

It isn't.  Why are you so resistant to truth?  Whenever somebody says something true it scares the hell out of you and you retreat into fantasy or nonsense.

Easy, MM..!

Let's give End some help here.

End, would you like me to help you out and link to that worked example of grace in this forum?

I had an abusive stepfather - I came to a place of forgiving him before I had finished high school, well before I was a Xtian and when, in fact, I considered myself an atheist.  No belief system has a monopoly on compassion or forgiveness, but forgiveness is also not a compulsory thing - at least if it's genuine.

• Like 3

Easy, MM..!

Let's give End some help here.

End, would you like me to help you out and link to that worked example of grace in this forum?

Sorry.  I just get so tired of it.  No matter how many time I reach out to him he always pisses all over it.  

We are much more forgiving of ourselves than others because we know ourselves. If we took the time to know others as well as we know ourselves, then we might find a little more grace for each other. Jesus says he would like our relationships to be analogous to his and God's.....which is eternal life.

Double dog dare you atheist types to refute this.

"Familiarity breeds contempt"  A quote from someone that lived so long ago that I don't worry that I can't remember who. Consider your OP refuted. 

Can you show that my quote is any less true than whatever you think your Bible says? No? I wouldn't think so. Evidence, however, seems to show that my refutation is valid. 

So what are you going to believe? The words of two guys that can't even agree, or the evidence right in front of your eyes?

Please elaborate

Please elaborate

Reasonably sure that mathematics only partially demonstrates our reality. The theoretical often is conflated with religion/God if I am not mistaken. If we search God and mathematics or religion and mathematics, conflation is frequent.