Goodbye Jesus

Having Lunch With Some "churchies" Today!

Tsathoggua

I'm going to have lunch with two of my old pals from my former congregation -- the "Crieve Hall Church of Christ" in Nashville, Tennessee, USA -- this afternoon. Had lunch with one of them a few weeks back, and we wound up having a fun time. Hopefully, this lunch will be a repeat of the same. I will report about it later if anything significant happens. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Goodbye Jesus

Good luck, then! :)

I hope the lunch goes well! Good luck!

Keep it 'light and airy' and stay away from all the 'heavy' (especially religion) topics and you will probably have a great time !! Have fun!!

Let us know how it's going!!

None of my former Church of Christ "friends" would likely want me to join them for lunch, but I imagine I would be a topic of discussion at their table.

• Like 1

It went pretty well. We had some friendly banter going on, and also come consideration of evidence (or lack of) for the bible's veracity. No minds were changed in the ensuing confrontation. No yelling or fisticuffs, either.

One of the things that we talked about was the fossil record. He kept going on about the fact that there are no "missing links".  I kept referring to several fossils ("Tiktaalik" being one of them) that are excellent examples of evolution in action. I pointed out the examples we have of whale fossiIs, synapsids evolving into mammals, etc. I didn't actually expect any of these facts to convince him, of course. But I do hate it when creationists make that "no  missing links" claim. Bogus!

Yeah, I used to use the "no missing links" argument, because that's what I was taught, and I didn't have enough interest to look it up for myself. I'm pretty embarrassed about that now. It's so wrong.

Yeah, I used to use the "no missing links" argument, because that's what I was taught, and I didn't have enough interest to look it up for myself. I'm pretty embarrassed about that now. It's so wrong.

It amuses me to see people in such complete denial over fossils that completely invalidate the biblical "like begets like" concept. You can see change over time (in millions of years, of course) as organisms adapt to their environment -- land animals become amphibious and morph into whales, dinosaurs evolve into birds, etc. But some people stubbornly refuse to see anything that might contradict their so-called holy book.