Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Think About Death.

Guest end3

Guest Furball

In my 42 years of being alive, I have had many close friends and family members die around me, some from horrible violent deaths. It was horrible. But, for some reason it also hardened me up to death and the reality of life ending at anytime. That's probably why I didn't fear death before christianity. It's like that saying goes....death is certain....life is not. I live my life knowing I am going to die at any moment, which causes me to fear less and live more. When it comes to life and all the bad crap that comes with it, I am always reminded of what my mother says during times of difficulty. "Oh well, one day we'll all be dead and none of this s**t will matter anyways".

• Like 1

The question for me is not so much about death but about whether life mattered. Did I accomplish anything; did I make a positive contribution? Was I a positive influence on others?

I have thanked some of those who helped me and I hope they realize that their lives did matter. Unfortunately, others have died and I regret not telling them that I'm thankful for what they did. I wish I had told my mother, in her last years, what a great mother she was. I wish I had told the man who, in a brief one-minute conversation, planted a seed that changed my life and that of my family. All I can do now is be sure that those who still live and who mattered to me know that. Some people have told me that I had a positive influence on them and when I'm ready to go, I'll do so knowing that it wasn't all for nothing.

The question for me is not so much about death but about whether life mattered. Did I accomplish anything; did I make a positive contribution? Was I a positive influence on others?

Some might think this is kind of cheesy, but it actually makes me tear up reading it. I don't know what the original source is, but I like it because it is about what matters in THIS life.

Live-a-LIfe-That-Matters.jpg

• Like 1

The question for me is not so much about death but about whether life mattered.

Nothing matters.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
Life is not fair.

Death, however, treats everyone the same.

In death, there is neither rich nor poor; neither strong nor weak.  Death does not recognize the color of one’s skin, nor the faith of one’s heart.  Death cares not for knowledge, ability, or years experience.  Death merely treats each as equal; and carries each to the final resting place.

Two soldiers die upon a field of battle; death cares not for which side they fought, nor how just they believed their cause.  Death merely collects his due.

In death there is no sin, no judgement, and no repentance.  Death accepts all, irrespective of creed, ethnicity, or gender.  For death is not a respecter of persons.

Death sees clearly and reveals itself perfectly, unlike life which is full of confusion and contradiction.  Death is the perfection of imperfect life, the finality of infinity.

Death is the all-welcoming embrace of an eternal universe.  There is no more sorrow for the starving child in the streets than for the wealthy and well fed.  There is no difference between prince and pauper in death.  There is simply the chilling and warm hand of an old friend welcoming all into the quietness of oblivion.  

Whether by sword or by the ravages of old age, both the proud and the meek are brought low, humbled, as they gaze upon that far-distant shore, where we shall all meet, by and by.

Dunno a blessing maybe, the idea of life after death seems like a curse.

Nothing matters.

Really? So the impact of your actions on others mean nothing? Why not rape, murder and pillage then? Why bother practicing kindness or charity? Was that reply tongue in cheek?

Why not rape, murder and pillage then? 

Don't want to.

Why bother practicing kindness or charity?

Kindness can be fun.

Nothing matters.

Really? So the impact of your actions on others mean nothing? Why not rape, murder and pillage then? Why bother practicing kindness or charity? Was that reply tongue in cheek?

That reply was honest. Not that it should need to be said but I don't rape, murder, or pillage, and when I go to the grocery store I round up stray carts to save someone some work before I leave.  The topic was death which is inevitable for all and why nothing matters.  I go to antique shops and often see family photographs, sometimes whole albums, for sale.  Who are these people in the pictures?  Does anyone even know anymore?  Does anyone remember?  What about the billions of people who lived before photography of whom we have no documentation, visual or even written, unless their family had money pay for a portrait?  Billions of people who left no trace, who for all material purposes might just as well have never existed in the first place.  This planet will die eventually and all history will be gone - not just purposely eradicated like ISIS is doing or intentionally distorted or rewritten, but GONE.  Nothing matters.  I don't matter - I can be a good guy and people are happy and I've been helpful, or I can be an asshole and people will deal with it or dump me - they go on.  Life doesn't matter, death doesn't matter, I don't matter, nothing matters.  Sorry if that's a bit incoherent but I'm over 50 and diabetic - my thought processes aren't what they once were,  Or maybe they are and I'm just flattering myself.  Now if you'll excuse me I have go to facebook to see if the woman who dumped me has been dumped by her new boyfriend.  Not that it matters.

Just spent holding my uncles hand for about four hours while he died. I had my own notions of what I thought might be happening within his mind, but they were just my notions through Christian training. I guess the one thing I realized was it was something that none of us can really control. When it happens, there is not much that can be done. So I'm not sure what to think about death anymore other than having gone through this from an adult's perspective, I'm not near as fearful.

From my own convoluted perspective, it seems life, our reality, is almost purposeful.....we are pushed in and lead out.

Long story short, I don't know, but am glad I went through the process. Glad I was there for him. No one should have to die alone.

end3, I am sorry for your loss. I am glad too that you were able to be there for him during his last moment.

Guest lifeszero

Title speaks for itself. Thanks.

What do I think about it? Who said you had life now. Everyone got kicked out of the garden of eden right?, the tree of life is in there.

Well you better get back there if you have any hope at getting life. Nah, jesus never knew how to get back to the garden. He thought dying for goodness was the way back to god.

Yes it's over mate.

Nothing matters.

That reply was honest. Not that it should need to be said but I don't rape, murder, or pillage, and when I go to the grocery store I round up stray carts to save someone some work before I leave.  The topic was death which is inevitable for all and why nothing matters.  I go to antique shops and often see family photographs, sometimes whole albums, for sale.  Who are these people in the pictures?  Does anyone even know anymore?  Does anyone remember?  What about the billions of people who lived before photography of whom we have no documentation, visual or even written, unless their family had money pay for a portrait?  Billions of people who left no trace, who for all material purposes might just as well have never existed in the first place.  This planet will die eventually and all history will be gone - not just purposely eradicated like ISIS is doing or intentionally distorted or rewritten, but GONE.  Nothing matters.  I don't matter - I can be a good guy and people are happy and I've been helpful, or I can be an asshole and people will deal with it or dump me - they go on.  Life doesn't matter, death doesn't matter, I don't matter, nothing matters.  Sorry if that's a bit incoherent but I'm over 50 and diabetic - my thought processes aren't what they once were,  Or maybe they are and I'm just flattering myself.  Now if you'll excuse me I have go to facebook to see if the woman who dumped me has been dumped by her new boyfriend.  Not that it matters.

I agree that nothing matters in the scope of the entire cosmos. No, two hundred years from now, no one will know if we existed, or were good or bad. And when the Sun explodes and the Earth is burned to a crisp, none of anything will have mattered.

But that's about the past and the future, where we do not live. For the here and now, it does matter. It matters that people are kind. It matters when a mommy comforts a hurting child. It matters when someone you care about dies. It matters when you stand atop a mountain and watch the sunrise. It matters when you've spent the evening with good friends. It matters when someone looks you in the eye and says, "I love you."

• Like 3

The funeral was last week. They had a "viewing" that lasted 2 hours for people to come by and visit and look at the body. I guess it was relieving to let emotions out.....I assume that is what these things are for. Also, I know it was good to hear stories and see people that haven't been seen for years.....somewhat a camaraderie. In other words, it seemed like life (healing and friendship) kinda trumped the death. Carry on and thanks.

I agree that nothing matters in the scope of the entire cosmos. No, two hundred years from now, no one will know if we existed, or were good or bad. And when the Sun explodes and the Earth is burned to a crisp, none of anything will have mattered.

But that's about the past and the future, where we do not live. For the here and now, it does matter. It matters that people are kind. It matters when a mommy comforts a hurting child. It matters when someone you care about dies. It matters when you stand atop a mountain and watch the sunrise. It matters when you've spent the evening with good friends. It matters when someone looks you in the eye and says, "I love you."

Thank you, this is what I'm saying. It matters now.

Death is inevitable, from the moment we draw our first breath, we are technically dying from that point onward. Making the best of what time we have is important, since death could be just around the corner. It's made all the tougher when you tangle with daily struggles and forget the important things and people in your life. Cherish what you have, make the best of it, then return to the stars as they say.

It's something I worry may happen to me a little too soon due to poor lifestyle choices and whatnot, and before I've had a chance to really do something with my life which I basically, erm, haven't. Still only 30 so there's a bit to go yet... or is there?

Do I fear the dread bizarreness of conceptualized non-existence? As a kid, it drove me up the wall. I guess now I can be rational with the fact that, when I cease to exist, I will not have the capacity to know nor care.

I still have occasional flashes of What If You're Wrong Syndrome, where perhaps Christianity was real after all and I'll burn in hell for all eternity, but not nearly as much as the first week or so of deciding I didn't want to be bothered with all that Christianity guff anymore.

A Bob Dylan song?  

Ironhorse, come on. Even you know that's way past getting old. It's the reason people make fun of you, and by extension, your Christ.

A Bob Dylan song?  

Ironhorse, come on. Even you know that's way past getting old. It's the reason people make fun of you, and by extension, your Christ.

Well, let those who can cast a better song, cast the first lyric.

"All we are is Dust in the Wind"

• Like 1

"cause nothing lasts forever

even cold November rain"

• Super Moderator

"Love Is Stronger Than Death" by The The

A Bob Dylan song?  

Why don't those who've made a skeptical appraisal of their Christian faith stand by the only valid conclusion of that appraisal?

• Like 1

Why don't those who've made a skeptical appraisal of their Christian faith stand by the only valid conclusion of that appraisal?

Perhaps the skeptical appraisal was just a rumor?