Goodbye Jesus

Request: Good Science Documentaries

rjn

Well, it's all rather plain and clear in the topic I think. Preferably free videos available for streaming, but anything will do. Documentaries that deal with religion in a more scientific manner (like, anthropological studies, secular criticism of scripture and so on, the name of the forum is Science VS Religion, after all) might fit here as well.

I doubt I'm the only one who'd appreciate it, so perhaps we could create a big list together? Like a link archive of sorts?

In any case, thanks in advance.

I love the BBC docus on Galapagos and The South Pacific.  They are beautiful and eye-opening if you haven't gotten a good grasp on evolution.

Seconded.  Cosmos isn't quite free, but it's available on Netflix, which is the next best thing.

I love Neil Tyson's portrayal of science for perhaps more reasons than I can enumerate, but I will try. Tyson does not simply bore the viewer with factoids; rather he presents various scientific discoveries in their historical context, he explains why advancements in celestial mechanics, astronomy, and evolutionary biology were significant at the time they were discovered, and why the average, non-technical individual ought to be aware of them. Just as importantly, he does a superb job of taking religion to task in Cosmos. Tyson contrasts novel scientific principles with outdated and false religious beliefs, and takes the position (correctly, I believe) that science subverts and outright invalidates religion. He focuses his attacks on Christianity, which is perhaps appropriate for viewers from this forum.

Cosmos is likely to be the suggestion of most members of this forum, so if I can think of any other excellent science documentaries I will mention them here. I almost want to recommend the "Mechanical Universe" physics videos that were required viewing for me in my intro. undergrad physics courses (which are available for free online at https://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html# ).They discuss the historical context of physics at great length, however they also are very detailed and freely invoke vector calculus, so maybe aren't appropriate for a general audience.

I get to see Neil Degrasse Tyson live in a little over a week from now. Tee-hee!

Another Netflix must see is 'The Inexplicable Universe' with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Human planet. Doesn't comment much on religion but it does a good job of putting existence into perspective. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

I just remembered this one. It's a few years old, but it's pretty good if your interested in anthropology and linguistics. It's mostly about the latter, but I feel it fits here, since the "protagonist" is a deconverted missionary:

EDIT: Just re-watched some parts of it (haven't seen it for several years) and there's indeed quite a lot of stuff about Christianity in there. In any case, highly recommended.