Goodbye Jesus

Story Of An Ex-Pastor

hockeyfan70

Welcome to Ex-C. Glad you've joined us.

Welcome to the forums! There is a man on the main blog named XPDan that you may want to look up. He too, is an ex-pastor and a great person in general (Not saying there aren't any on the forums here, because this is a good bunch as well). He's shown me a lot of insight through his posts and comments. I ministered for five years, but we can always learn more about the fairy tale that consumed us for so long.

Hope to see you around.

Ain't Xianity grand & aren't Xians wonderful, loving, forgiving, & gracious folk? I'm sure Jesus is proud of his flock. Welcome to sanity & reality.

Thanks, everyone. :) 

And I wanted to post in a topic but it was locked. Does that happen a lot? It was about music to listen to when you are deconversioning from Christianity.

So I guess I'll post mine here. I've been listening to David Bazan's "Curse Your Branches" nonstop. If you don't know who that is, he was the frontman for a popular emo-ish band called Pedro the Lion. He was a Christian until a few years ago, and this album is about his struggles with faith. It's so good.

Welcome! Glad to hear that you are escaping into something real. Your work in the human trafficking area is very much needed. I hope you find a job that compensates you also.

Church politics was an eye-opener for me, though that wasn't what lead me to deconvert. But the money, manipulation, cover-ups, gossip, always hiring business execs as elders, excluding parishioners from information, fear, authoritarianism, and all the christianese phrases to make it sound biblical and acceptable... Grrrr!

Not sure why so many forum threads are being locked now. It seems to be a new approach after a certain amount of inactivity. One of the mods will probably explain.

Welcome to ex-C!

Threads get locked after 30 days of inactivity, in case you wondered.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you have found some peace and closure with what happened. I'm glad you were smart enough to escape that church situation rather than be swayed by the negativity and bury it under the rug for the sake of faith. I imagine itthe conversion is much more of an impact when you've been a pastor and directly involved in ministry. Best of luck to you. Btw, I'm also a huge hockey fan, whose your team?

Hey there everyone,

I was severely pissed at God and the church.... 

On the anniversary of my brother's suicide, I was fired. 

So that's my story. I am an ex-pastor. 

Welcome to Ex hockeyfan70. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I'm very sorry to hear about your dear brother. I am sad for you because I know it must be very hard to start all over again. But I am glad that you stopped preaching the foolishness of the ancient book they call the bible which is supposed to be 'the words right out of god's mouth'.......

I completely relate to being pissed off at the invisible christian god. You've come to the right web-site. You have found like minded people.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. Good luck on this new journey. We are all here for you my friend.

(hug)

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you have found some peace and closure with what happened. I'm glad you were smart enough to escape that church situation rather than be swayed by the negativity and bury it under the rug for the sake of faith. I imagine itthe conversion is much more of an impact when you've been a pastor and directly involved in ministry. Best of luck to you. Btw, I'm also a huge hockey fan, whose your team?

Thanks, AxHakker. It has been really rough. But my family is soldiering on.

In the NHL, I grew up a Philadelphia Flyers fan because we didn't have the NHL except for a few years with the Colorado Rockies (who became the New Jersey Devils). When the Avalanche came to Colorado, I became a fan of them and have ever since.

As far as college hockey, Denver University is my team. :)

Welcome to ex-C!

Threads get locked after 30 days of inactivity, in case you wondered.

Thanks for the info! I did wonder. I guess it makes sense. 

Welcome to the forums! There is a man on the main blog named XPDan that you may want to look up. He too, is an ex-pastor and a great person in general (Not saying there aren't any on the forums here, because this is a good bunch as well). He's shown me a lot of insight through his posts and comments. I ministered for five years, but we can always learn more about the fairy tale that consumed us for so long.

Hope to see you around.

Thanks for the info! It's not the author dude is it? Dan Barker I think his name is?

Hey there everyone,

I was severely pissed at God and the church.... 

On the anniversary of my brother's suicide, I was fired. 

So that's my story. I am an ex-pastor. 

Welcome to Ex hockeyfan70. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I'm very sorry to hear about your dear brother. I am sad for you because I know it must be very hard to start all over again. But I am glad that you stopped preaching the foolishness of the ancient book they call the bible which is supposed to be 'the words right out of god's mouth'.......

I completely relate to being pissed off at the invisible christian god. You've come to the right web-site. You have found like minded people.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. Good luck on this new journey. We are all here for you my friend.

(hug)

It is definitely hard. But that's ok. It's rather freeing, you know? I don't have to worry about going somewhere and seeing someone who goes to my church. To wonder what they're thinking about. I can just be who I am without worrying about making sure I'm doing "the Christian thing."

I'm sure there is a thread about this, but thought I would ask it here:

What are the best books you have read about atheism/humanism/whateveryouwanttocallyourself? 

I'm reading through "Breaking the Spell" by Daniel Dennett and it is really good. It's basically explaining why some people turn to religion from a naturalistic/evolutionistic approach.

• Like 1

I've only read one book in the "atheist genre", and that's Christopher Hitchen's "God is not great". It was decent, I guess.

I'm also a bit of a hockey fan, but I'm hardly fanatic about it. I mostly watch the World Cup (and ofc, the Olympics) though, and every once in a while, the Swedish Hockey League. For some reason, I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Red Wings. Maybe because they're full of great Scandinavian players, don't know really.

I like Hitchens a lot. Even before now. Dawkins comes across as a smug prick. Hitchens is confident in his writing, but he also had friends who were Christians as well. 

I don't mind the Red Wings now, but back in the day they were huge rivals with the Avalanche. Those were some great years.

I agree on Dawkins, but I must say my view of him has softened a bit. As for the Avalanches... perhaps they're the ones I should root for. They're a good team, and I happen to like Colorado. It's on the top of my bucket list to visit the place if I decide to go over seas.

I agree on Dawkins, but I must say my view of him has softened a bit. As for the Avalanches... perhaps they're the ones I should root for. They're a good team, and I happen to like Colorado. It's on the top of my bucket list to visit the place if I decide to go over seas.

They are a fun team to watch, but very frustrating. They are pretty young, so they make a lot of mistakes. But watching Duchene, Landeskog and MacKinnon grow up and be hockey men is pretty exciting.

Hi hockeyfan70, and welcome!  I'm glad you're here.  I just posted my own story very recently.  I'm very sorry about your brother; I hope the passing of time will ease the pain. 

As well as Dan Barker, there are some other ex-ministers that I think you might appreciate knowing, although I don't know if they are members here (they should be!).  The better known is John W Loftus, who has written several books, including the story of his deconversion.  He has a blog at http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/ and is on Twitter @loftusjohnw.   Another is John Leone, known on Twitter as 'Anakin' @alpha5169.  I don't think he has been published, but I like him because he shares my more-or-less Libertarian philosophy.

Are you familiar with Sam Harris?  He is often linked to Hitchens and Dawkins but comes across as more likeable, IMO.  He does a really good podcast, "Waking Up with Sam Harris".

Anyway, welcome again.  I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

Hi hockeyfan70, and welcome!  I'm glad you're here.  I just posted my own story very recently.  I'm very sorry about your brother; I hope the passing of time will ease the pain. 

As well as Dan Barker, there are some other ex-ministers that I think you might appreciate knowing, although I don't know if they are members here (they should be!).  The better known is John W Loftus, who has written several books, including the story of his deconversion.  He has a blog at http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com/ and is on Twitter @loftusjohnw.   Another is John Leone, known on Twitter as 'Anakin' @alpha5169.  I don't think he has been published, but I like him because he shares my more-or-less Libertarian philosophy.

Are you familiar with Sam Harris?  He is often linked to Hitchens and Dawkins but comes across as more likeable, IMO.  He does a really good podcast, "Waking Up with Sam Harris".

Anyway, welcome again.  I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

Thanks, ThereAndBackAgain! I think John was the guy I was talking about where I read his testimony and he talked about the three main things that made him step away. He went to a similar school (same non-denominational denomination) as mine. I had some discussions with him back in 2008. I read some of his stuff and like what he has to say; unfortunately from what I've read recently there seems to be an arrogance that I find unsettling. Maybe it's just my impression from the last few things I've read. Like when he had an interview with some famous atheist and he kind of called him out on some things. Rubbed me the wrong way.

I've read a couple of Harris' books and really enjoyed them. My brother told me about Waking Up, I need to check it out! Thanks!

And, the hits keep coming. I found out today that for sure I will not be getting unemployment during my job search. This is because churches and non-profit organizations do not have to pay unemployment. They are exempt from doing so, and although some denominations set aside money in the event of letting a pastor go, my church was nondenominational and therefore, no unemployment for me.

http://ministryworks.com/resources/can-church-employees-collect-unemployment/

hockeyfan70, are you familiar with The Clergy Project? They exist to help courageous guys like you in making the transition, with career resources, moral support and, I think, hardship grants, though I'm sure they're underfunded. www.clergyproject.org

• Like 2

No, I haven't! I'm going to check it out now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for sharing your story...I'm sorry about what happened to you...if I had never been to church, I might not ever have started doubting, but it's church people like you're talking about that make you realize something isn't quite right. I hope you find a new career that you like (kudos to you for fighting human trafficking!). Have you thought of being a writer (at least part time blog or something) because you write very well:) 

Wow, that is quite a story! Sorry about your brother. I'm glad that you made it "out"! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Welcome aboard!