Goodbye Jesus

Christians Are Feeble Minded

SerenelyBlue

To believe the crap in the bible. I was mentally ill, what was your excuse? Your beliefs are ridiculous. We have the same tiring bunch of Christians on this website. We desperately need new meat.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

My excuse is I was groomed and brainwashed from birth.

• Like 4

To believe the crap in the bible. I was mentally ill, what was your excuse? Your beliefs are ridiculous. We have the same tiring bunch of Christians on this website. We desperately need new meat.

There are many reasons folks believe in the Bible and related Christian teachings, dogma and tenets.  Indoctrination, peer pressure, comfort, lack of education, lack of curiosity, among others.

• Like 2

More and more I feel that I don't know anything at all. I don't know why to believe or why to disbelieve. I do know that I like cats. smile.png

Originally, I was taught to be a Christian. More recently I was psychotic, and I didn't understand that what I was observing was not good evidence.

• Like 2

A fully indoctrinated mind will not process anything that challenges its programming. Unless or until a believer develops doubts on their own discussing theology with them is pointless.

• Like 3

If Christians are feeble, then I'm glad to be in their company. 

They have written a lot of books, a lot of poems... plus music, plays, screenplays and jingles

and painted a lot of art.

Also add their contributions in science and medicine. 

• Like 2

They have written a lot of books, a lot of poems... plus music, plays, screenplays and jingles

I think of Sir Isaac Newton trying to calculate dates from prophecies in the Bible.

I think of Sir Isaac Newton trying to calculate dates from prophecies in the Bible.

He gave it a good shot didn't he? 

Once again, I think for the fourth or fifth time on this forum, Ironhorse demonstrates he cannot distinguish among non sequitur, coincidence, correlation and causation.

Translation: Bono. Here's a verse:

His truth is marching on.

• Like 1

You didn't have a choice in history. Scientists and artists are waking up to reality. Thank goodness. When Christianity was at its zenith the Western world was in darkness.
  • Like 1

Were you mentally ill before you read the Bible or were you diagnosed after you became an ex-Christian?thisclose.gif

lurkers take note. Such a weighty argument. ????

I think they were smart and creative individuals, irrespective of their faith. That said, I'm not denying that their faith might have served as a motivation or an inspiration, and indeed, for some individuals, it might have been beneficial. Fundamentalists are rarely creative or smart though, and they usually disregard any creative output not directly related to their beliefs. The man you quote in your signature is a perfect example of someone I admire who was also deeply devout, but he's usually derided by fundies. He was a Catholic and a romantic with a passion for pre-Christian myths and legends after all, and we can't have that, now can we?

Were you mentally ill before you read the Bible or were you diagnosed after you became an ex-Christian?thisclose.gif

Bipolar disorder ain't no laughing matter. Regardless of your beliefs, can we at least agree that religiosity can be detrimental? 

• Like 3

It's hard for me to say because I am one of those people who actually never really was a True Christian™. I grew up in a Christian family and they attempted the indoctrination, but I always felt like something was wrong. I thus was an "Agnostic Christian", holding a faint belief with doubts.

I believe the reason may be because of a strange quark in my personality. I have always, since as long as I can remember, have been obsessed with intellectual honesty. I have always despised the superficial and wishful thinking. False hopes, unreliable promises, and unrealistic dreams. What I have found is that most people either can't tell the difference, or don't care.

• Like 4

can we at least agree that religiosity can be detrimental? 

Yes.  I won't deny something that I think is true but with that said, anything actually can be detrimental to one's self.  

• Super Moderator

One christian in particular wrote a skeptical appraisal of his beliefs... or, at least, he said he did.

• Like 2

I was one of those Christians that "knew" Christianity was real because I had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I kind of laugh about it now.

• Like 3

Most people's excuse is they were indoctrinated when they were too young to object. Calling them feeble minded is really unfair and inaccurate. 

• Like 4

I believe the reason may be because of a strange quark in my personality. I have always, since as long as I can remember, have been obsessed with intellectual honesty. I have always despised the superficial and wishful thinking. False hopes, unreliable promises, and unrealistic dreams. What I have found is that most people either can't tell the difference, or don't care.

You and I are quite similar when it comes to this. But I had an emotional connection to religion which didn't get broken until I was old enough and got enough education under my belt to recognize the dishonesty. I think for most, it's an emotional issue, which is why you can't argue people out of their faith. 

• Like 4

He gave it a good shot didn't he?

and wasted a fuckton of time to

It is so true that christians are very intelligent and talented people Ironhorse. Most of my friends were very intelligent. I was (and still am) those things... but I was also very naive (and brainwashed) enough to believe in an ancient book written by men because the whole world seemed to accept it as 'fact' because it got passed down through the years as 'god's word'.. Once my intelligence completely kicked in and I allowed myself to explore by investigating all the facts, I knew the bible was just a book written by men in ancient days.

Just because a book gets passed down through the years does not make it true. 

Christians have wasted years, and countless dollars, trying to win a ticket to an intolerably boring Afterlife. Childhood indoctrination creates a powerful  delusion. I feel sorry for them. Who, with half a brain, would want to kiss "gods" ass forever?

• Like 1

I think they were smart and creative individuals, irrespective of their faith. That said, I'm not denying that their faith might have served as a motivation or an inspiration, and indeed, for some individuals, it might have been beneficial. Fundamentalists are rarely creative or smart though, and they usually disregard any creative output not directly related to their beliefs. The man you quote in your signature is a perfect example of someone I admire who was also deeply devout, but he's usually derided by fundies. He was a Catholic and a romantic with a passion for pre-Christian myths and legends after all, and we can't have that, now can we?

"It is so true that christians are very intelligent and talented people Ironhorse.." ~ Margee

Thank you Margee for your comment. I assume you meant "some Christians" and not all of us. smile.png

And thank you rjn, 

Thank for at least acknowledging that some Christians have contributed positive things to the world. I have no problem acknowledging Islam’s vast advancements in mathematics.

I consider myself fundamentalists (in its original definition) because I believe in the core basic teachings of scripture. I understand because of the actions of some in the past and now that the term has taken on a new meaning of anti-knowledge and narrow bigoted thinking. On this I agree with you, they are not creative or smart.  Because of this I rarely just walk up and introduce myself as fundamentalists because of its negative connotations.  I only use the term if needed when discussing doctrines.

And I agree with you that “fundies” deride people like Tolkien. I’ve encountered that kind of warped thinking many times. It’s not only wrong, it keeps people enslaved and ignorant.

Tolkien being Catholic has never bothered me. From his life and what I have read about him there is no doubt to me that he was Christian.  I have three friends who are Catholic.

I also don’t have any problem concerning Tolkien’s use of myths.  He wrote a lot about myth and its value. The power of storytelling is a major part of who we are as humans. 

“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

• Like 1