Goodbye Jesus

I,ve Just Come Out To All Family And Friends On Fb

SerenelyBlue

I just posted an atheist meme on fb. I don't know if I should be relieved or mortified.

• Like 1

I blame ex C for this. Yes I do.

I just posted an atheist meme on fb. I don't know if I should be relieved or mortified.

Congrats! My entire family is Hindu, so it was a relief all around when I "came out." But as someone with many, many former evangelical friends I can certainly understand where you're at right now. I hope the next few days go well for you.

I blame ex C for this. Yes I do.

Hey now, at least a solid 1/3 of us will freely admit that there are certain situations in which you shouldn't come out. :)

No. I am relieved :)

I was just kidding about blaming ex-c.

Thank you Bhim.

Good for you blue. 

Good luck.

Have a game plan ready.

Thank you and sorry for everything.

Congratulations, SB!   

• Super Moderator

Good for you, SB!   Don't hesitate to come here to vent, to commiserate, or for advice if your friends or family give you a hard time.

Take care.

-----------------------------------------------------

PS  I forgot to say that there's no need to be "sorry for everything" smile.png    

On FB? That took some balls. 

Let us know how it goes. I would love to say "fuck it" and post on FB. But considering half of my customers are christian and my in-laws are fundy, the ensuing shit-show would probably cost me a good 1/4 my income, so alas, I must shut it for money's sake. 

Thank you very much for your support.

Congrats for taking such a step. I hope all will go ok for you.

Way to go, Mr. H.

Well, well done for having the guts to go all the way.

I have "come out" to one guy via Facebook, the guy is an old uni. friend (as is his wife, who isn't obviously on FB) who now pastors a church not too far from me. I have not spoken to him since but got no reaction. Some of the folks from my church already know and never got "unfriended" or anything like that. The one main guy I am concerned about at the moment used to go to our church, moved elsewhere and I only added him to my FB friends list recently, post-deconversion. When I did know him "in the flesh" he  was the one guy I used to meet up with quite a lot, which means it would be kind of a shame if I lost him, but he is quite a hardcore, full-on evangelist type who posts lots of would-be "hard-hitting" Christian-related stuff. I want to comment on a lot of these things but dare not, as of yet, until I can get advice on here.

EDIT: I would kind of like to make another thread about it though.

whoo-hoo!!! You're brave. I quietly changed my Facebook religion to "friendly neighborhood atheist", but that doesn't show up on the news feed or anything; no one will know unless they actively search my profile. Out of curiosity, what meme did you post? 

Way to go! :)

In 45 minutes, I am meeting with my former boss at church. He is "concerned that he's heard some things about me, including the possibility that I'm no longer a Christian."

This should be an interesting discussion. Since they don't have anything over me anymore (like income), I may just give both barrels. 

Way to go! :)

In 45 minutes, I am meeting with my former boss at church. He is "concerned that he's heard some things about me, including the possibility that I'm no longer a Christian."

This should be an interesting discussion. Since they don't have anything over me anymore (like income), I may just give both barrels.

Wow... Can't wait to hear how that meeting went.

Way to go! smile.png

Let us know how that goes! 

It went pretty well. He was kind of stunned about the whole thing and tried to say that I was confusing how I felt about church with how I felt about God and I said, "Not really." I told him the basic story of how I started de-converting. So then he tried to use the "But what about your daughter? Don't you want her to have faith?" and I said, "Ultimately, I want her to treat other people way better than I've seen any church person treat people, so 1) I'll let her make her own decision, and 2) I will help her be the best person she can be, with or without church in her life.

I really like him so it was hard disappointing him. But it felt like a relief and a release. He wants to get together every once in awhile to talk about stuff, which may or may not happen.

• Like 3

My mother thought I was having a bipolar episode an was mad at me because of what family might think. She threatened to disown me and to not help me in the future. My friends and family did not reply. The whole thing was akward. I deleted it. I don't want to lose my mother.

• Super Moderator

Sorry it didn't go well, SB.  But you're in good company.  Not too many of us are out on Facebook and the like.

I don't want to lose my mother.

That's understandable.   FWIW,  I'm in my 60's and my mother is in her 80's.  She still insists I'm just "going through a phase."   Yeah, one that's over 40 years in the making.   smh

(But at least she's not one of those fundy evangelical types.)

Sorry you had to delete. You still came out though, which was brave. Good for you.