Goodbye Jesus

Trust Yourself

ironhorse

Please answer the three questions, Ironhorse.

Here they are again for your convenience.

So the initiator of salvation is whom?

The person whom the Father draws to Jesus?

The Father who draws the person to Jesus?

~ BAA

I’m unsure if you are asking three questions or if the first one is the question and the following two are my choices.

Can you clarify? 

Thank you

Not a problem, Ironhorse.

Let me help you by rephrasing the three into one.

Using John 6 : 44 as context, please identify who it is that initiates the process of anyone's salvation.

Thank you.

Using John 6 : 44 as context, please identify who it is that initiates the process of anyone's salvation.

Thank you.

~ BAA

God is the one who initiates or draws people. 

Thank you.

~ BAA

God is the one who initiates or draws people. 

Thank you.

So seeing that God created Esau to be destroyed and not saved, did God also draw him to be saved?

Ironhorse,

When did God decide that he hated Esau?  Was it...

A.  At the moment Esau decided to sell his birthright?

B.  Before either Jacob or Esau were born?

C.  Before creation.

(Bump!)

I cannot answer that question, only God knows the answer.

False.  

Numbers 23 : 19

God is not human, that he should lie,

not a human being, that he should change his mind.

Therefore God always hated Esau.  From before creation.  For eternity.  

Esau was a object of destruction created only by God to show God's glory in the world and then be incinerated in the fire.

Which is exactly what the apostle Paul said and meant.

I do know our English definition of "hate" being used is not the meaning stated in this passage of scripture.  The  Hebrew word is : “sane” (“saw-nay”). This word does not mean the idea of hatred as in to despise or detest but instead means “preferred over”

That changes nothing.

Jacob was preferred over Esau by God... eternally.

Meaning that Esau was still created as an object of God's wrath. 

What I posted about the word used for "hate" does matter in understanding.

The Bible nowhere states that Esau was destroyed or destined for Hell.

This is not a story that proves God elects some to Heaven and others to Hell. 

I believe exactly what God was saying when He loved Jacob and hated Esau. It was not that He literally hated Esau, but rather, that he chose Jacob over Esau as the person through which the Israelites and the Messianic line would come.

Even though God chose to work this  through Jacob, the scriptures shows that God blessed Esau as well, promising Rebekah a nation would come from him (Gen 25:23), and fulfilling that promise by giving Esau Mt. Seir and the country of Edom (Num 20:14-21)(Gen 32:3)(Deut 2:5)(Josh 24:4). God also blessed Esau with much livestock and descendents (Gen 36:6-8)(Gen 33:9), and told the Israelites not to detest the Edomites because they were brothers (Deut 23:7), and He would not give the Israelites any of their land (Deut 2:5).

• Super Moderator

Pre, mid or post? An argument can be made for each. Depends on which cherry one picks (or more likely, told to pick).

To be even more clear, IH, every believer, guided by the HS of course, has a doctrinal position he can defend to his satisfaction the same as you. There is great disagreement among the church on many issues, and all these sincere believers rely on the same Bible and Holy Spirit you rely on for your particular "truth."

What does this rather obvious situation suggest about the Bible and the various religions it's spawned? Anything? Bueller?Bueller?

Ironhorse,

C.  Before creation.

(Bump!)

False.  

Esau was a object of destruction created only by God to show God's glory in the world and then be incinerated in the fire.

I do know our English definition of "hate" being used is not the meaning stated in this passage of scripture.  The  Hebrew word is : “sane” (“saw-nay”). This word does not mean the idea of hatred as in to despise or detest but instead means “preferred over”

That changes nothing.

Hated can be switched for preferred or any other word that means that God had made up His mind about Esau's life BEFORE He created the universe.  

Pick any word you like, Ironhorse.  The logic of my argument (God's mind is eternal and unchanging) won't be altered by any word you use.  God's always had it in His mind to prefer/hate/chose/elect/whatever Jacob over Esau.  The only way you can counter or refute my argument is if you can show that God's mind is changed by events happening in His creation.

But my argument about events in time and space not changing God's mind still stands.  The Nahum quote is key to it.   But please do show me where scripture says that changes His mind according to events in His creation.  If you do that then you'll have highlighted another contradiction within the pages of the Bible.

I believe exactly what God was saying when He loved Jacob and hated Esau. It was not that He literally hated Esau, but rather, that he chose Jacob over Esau as the person through which the Israelites and the Messianic line would come.

See my comments above.

Even though God chose to work this  through Jacob, the scriptures shows that God blessed Esau as well, promising Rebekah a nation would come from him (Gen 25:23), and fulfilling that promise by giving Esau Mt. Seir and the country of Edom (Num 20:14-21)(Gen 32:3)(Deut 2:5)(Josh 24:4). God also blessed Esau with much livestock and descendents (Gen 36:6-8)(Gen 33:9), and told the Israelites not to detest the Edomites because they were brothers (Deut 23:7), and He would not give the Israelites any of their land (Deut 2:5).

And all of the above were ordained to happen by God before Genesis 1 : 1.

No decision or choice made by Jacob, Esau or Rebekah changed what had always been in God's mind.  

Do you agree?

TinPony plagiarized the above text from this webpage:

http://jesusalive.cc/ques33.htm

He has plagiarized in the past and continues to do so.

Guest Furball

What I want to know is: what happened to the billions of souls that lived and died before the advent of christ? Since salvation can only be procured through jesus alone, how did anyone get saved before he was fictionally conceived? 

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Ironhorse, I remember awhile back you stated that your faith was the same as the thief on the cross, how he simply called out to jesus to remember him and he was saved. I am just guessing, but I am going to say you're a baptist. The word believe means to obey. It isn't some intellectual agreement with the story that's being told. Baptists, especially modern day ones believe in what you are saying; it's called easy believism, or greasy grace. They say things like, god wrote the check, all you have to do is sign your name to it and you'll be saved. I know debating you is a waste of my time, but you really do seem to ignore massive amounts of scripture that conflict with what you believe the bible is saying. However, in saying that, I have no problem with you picking and choosing whatever verse to believe/not believe in as this is what all christians do, hence the what, 40,000 different sects of it? The bible speaks out of both sides of its mouth. There are some scriptures that appear to back what you're saying...but what do you do with all the other scriptures that don't agree with what you're saying? As soon as you realize that the bible is a game of "which is it" and that it gives opposing answers to it's own claims, you'll start to see through it all that it is a product of fallible men. Still, I wish you all the best. -Cheers

TinPony plagiarized the above text from this webpage:
http://jesusalive.cc/ques33.htm
He has plagiarized in the past and continues to do so.

~ sdelsolray

When I use other texts, I post the source or link. As I was putting together this reply my intention was to add link for the source of this list of Bible verses. My apologies for my error in not doing so, it was not purposely done.

What I want to know is: what happened to the billions of souls that lived and died before the advent of christ? Since salvation can only be procured through jesus alone, how did anyone get saved before he was fictionally conceived?

~furball

Jesus said, "No one comes to the Father except through me"

~ John 14:6

Salvation is only thru Christ. He is the only door. This does not mean a person has to know his name. Paul wrote in the opening part of his letter to the Romans that all people are without excuse: “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20)

God knows every heart and every life. His judgement will be fair and just.

Ironhorse, I remember awhile back you stated that your faith was the same as the thief on the cross, how he simply called out to jesus to remember him and he was saved. I am just guessing, but I am going to say you're a baptist. The word believe means to obey. It isn't some intellectual agreement with the story that's being told. Baptists, especially modern day ones believe in what you are saying; it's called easy believism, or greasy grace. They say things like, god wrote the check, all you have to do is sign your name to it and you'll be saved. I know debating you is a waste of my time, but you really do seem to ignore massive amounts of scripture that conflict with what you believe the bible is saying. However, in saying that, I have no problem with you picking and choosing whatever verse to believe/not believe in as this is what all christians do, hence the what, 40,000 different sects of it? The bible speaks out of both sides of its mouth. There are some scriptures that appear to back what you're saying...but what do you do with all the other scriptures that don't agree with what you're saying? As soon as you realize that the bible is a game of "which is it" and that it gives opposing answers to it's own claims, you'll start to see through it all that it is a product of fallible men. Still, I wish you all the best. –Cheers

Furball

I make no apologies for being a member of a Baptist church. The historic Baptists beliefs on the essentials of the faith and the practice of the faith, I think are in line with New Testament teachings. There are many Christians in other denominations that may differ on non-essentials but we are all members of Christ’s Universal Body of Believers.

I do not agree with the false teachings you mention: easy believism, or greasy grace. A Christian should be trying the best they can to do what Jesus said to do. He said, “Why do you say you love me but do not do what I commanded? (Luke 6:46)

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer is a good book on this topic.

“There are some scriptures that appear to back what you're saying...but what do you do with all the other scriptures that don't agree with what you're saying?”

Again let me say, I do not approach the scriptures to confirm my opinion on anything. If I come across a passage that is puzzling or seems to contradict another verse or passage, I continue to study. If I find the answer, I'm glad. If not, I will admit I do not know and continue on.  

IH, after considering/studying two seemingly conflicting areas of scripture, do you ever conclude that they are indeed in conflict? Or do you just say, "I don't know" and move on?

Not that I'm insisting you spend your whole life as a bible scholar. We all have life stuff to attend to.

Ironhorse,

C.  Before creation.

(Bump!)

False.  

That changes nothing.

Hated can be switched for preferred or any other word that means that God had made up His mind about Esau's life BEFORE He created the universe.  

Pick any word you like, Ironhorse.  The logic of my argument (God's mind is eternal and unchanging) won't be altered by any word you use.  God's always had it in His mind to prefer/hate/chose/elect/whatever Jacob over Esau.  The only way you can counter or refute my argument is if you can show that God's mind is changed by events happening in His creation.

But my argument about events in time and space not changing God's mind still stands.  The Nahum quote is key to it.   But please do show me where scripture says that changes His mind according to events in His creation.  If you do that then you'll have highlighted another contradiction within the pages of the Bible.

See my comments above.

And all of the above were ordained to happen by God before Genesis 1 : 1.

No decision or choice made by Jacob, Esau or Rebekah changed what had always been in God's mind.  

Do you agree?

(Bump!)

Furball wrote...

“There are some scriptures that appear to back what you're saying...but what do you do with all the other scriptures that don't agree with what you're saying?”

Ironhorse replied...

Again let me say, I do not approach the scriptures to confirm my opinion on anything. If I come across a passage that is puzzling or seems to contradict another verse or passage, I continue to study. If I find the answer, I'm glad. If not, I will admit I do not know and continue on.  

That's an interesting methodology, Ironhorse.

If you find a Bible passage that seems to contradict another one you...

1. Continue to study.

2.  Find the answer.

3.  Admit you don't know and continue on.

So if the answer to # 2 is that they do contradict one another, what then?

I ask because if you don't approach the scriptures to confirm your opinion of them, then # 2 must include the possibility that your answer is a real and bona fide contradiction.

You do allow for the possibility of scriptural contradictions in option # 2, don't you?

Or is it an article of faith for you that scripture contains no contradictions?

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Jesus said, "No one comes to the Father except through me"

~ John 14:6

Salvation is only thru Christ. He is the only door. This does not mean a person has to know his name. Paul wrote in the opening part of his letter to the Romans that all people are without excuse: “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20)

God knows every heart and every life. His judgement will be fair and just.

Hello IH. Ok, but you're not answering the question. So god, in his infinite wisdom decided to allow billions of people to be born before the advent of christ, knowing that they were all going to hell guaranteed and you believe this is fair and just? I think the billions of people in hell right now would disagree with you, with the simple fact that they were never given the chance to believe in jesus and yet somehow their to believe this is a fair judgement on god's part. It's easy when we don't understand something about scripture or simple kindergarten logic that we cannot answer for, to just say: oh well, god has his reasons, he is right all the time no matter what. If god murders his own creation, well....they must have deserved it. As far as god being just, christians believe throwing helpless humans into hell for committing earthly crimes is just...but since god knows everything at all times, wouldn't stopping the person before the crime is committed be the just thing to do? The fact that god allows crimes to occur and then promises to deal with it in some future cosmic judgement day is not justice at all. Justice would be stopping the crime before it occurred. Since god has foreknowledge of a person who has yet to commit a crime, yet allows it to happen anyway makes god an accomplice. I just don't understand how people can defend a god that murders his own creation. Christian philosophy truly was born in an asylum. Thanks for atleast trying to answer though. -peace

Do you agree, Ironhorse?

(See # 184)

Pre, mid or post? An argument can be made for each. Depends on which cherry one picks (or more likely, told to pick).

To be even more clear, IH, every believer, guided by the HS of course, has a doctrinal position he can defend to his satisfaction the same as you. There is great disagreement among the church on many issues, and all these sincere believers rely on the same Bible and Holy Spirit you rely on for your particular "truth."

What does this rather obvious situation suggest about the Bible and the various religions it's spawned? Anything? Bueller?Bueller?

I was raised in Baptists churches where the predominant teaching was pre-tribulational. My father was a strong dispensationalist and used a the Scofield Study Notes Bible. This was once a view I held for a while until I kept coming across scriptures that came in conflict with this idea of a secret pre-tribulational taking away of the church. It also posed some questions that the teaching itself could not answer fully.

Without going into a lot of detail here, I eventually abandoned that idea and came to accept the Partial Preterist eschatological view. Basically meaning that events in the past (the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70) and during parts of history (Israel becoming a state in 1949) and events will occur in the future. Christ’s return will not be secret.

As things in my family often do, this was a topic I had a lot fun discussing with my father. He disagreed with me but he did understand why I went with that view.

I agree that the Spirit guides the believer. The words do not mean that the HS will fully guide them into truth, but that the HS will be their guide into the fullness of truth. The HS points the way.

The believer is responsible for being a good follower and student.

Many of the disagreements among denominations concern minor issues or cultural preferences, not the essential truths about Jesus and salvation. (No problem)

Others teach doctrines that are in gross error and do lead people away from the truth. (Big problem)

One of his disciples, John, told him one day, “Teacher, we saw a man using your name to cast out demons; but we told him not to, for he isn’t one of our group.”

“Don’t forbid him!” Jesus said. “For no one doing miracles in my name will quickly turn against me. Anyone who isn’t against us is for us. If anyone so much as gives you a cup of water because you are Christ’s—I say this solemnly—he won’t lose his reward. But if someone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to lose faith—it would be better for that man if a huge millstone were tied around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.”

~ Mark 9:38-50 (Living Bible)

Furball wrote...

Ironhorse replied...

1. Continue to study.

2.  Find the answer.

I ask because if you don't approach the scriptures to confirm your opinion of them, then # 2 must include the possibility that your answer is a real and bona fide contradiction.

You do allow for the possibility of scriptural contradictions in option # 2, don't you?

Thanks,

BAA.

(Bump!)

Furball wrote...

Ironhorse replied...

1. Continue to study.

2.  Find the answer.

Thanks,

BAA.

(Bump!)

~BAA

No, my faith is based in Christ and Christ alone.

My trust in Christ and the scriptures does not fail because I can’t explain or understand a passage of scripture.

You didn't answer the question. You dodged

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Furball wrote...

Ironhorse replied...

1. Continue to study.

2.  Find the answer.

Thanks,

BAA.

(Bump!)

~BAA

My trust in Christ and the scriptures does not fail because I can’t explain or understand a passage of scripture.

Would your faith in christ alone be affected if it could be shown that christ contradicted himself?

Furball wrote...

Ironhorse replied...

1. Continue to study.

2.  Find the answer.

Thanks,

BAA.

(Bump!)

~BAA

Would your faith in christ alone be affected if it could be shown that christ contradicted himself?

Where do you think Christ contradicted himself?

Again you didn't answer the question

• Like 1

At least now we can confirm that black holes are indeed not the densest objects in the universe.

IH, after considering/studying two seemingly conflicting areas of scripture, do you ever conclude that they are indeed in conflict? Or do you just say, "I don't know" and move on?

Not that I'm insisting you spend your whole life as a bible scholar. We all have life stuff to attend to.

I move on. Scripture verses or passages that confuse me do not deter my faith in Christ or my trust in the Bible. I move on and enjoy learning what I can and in awe of the mysteries I do not.

And yes, we all have other stuff in life to attend to. Right now, I’m busy with tending the garden and doing some fishing.

I thank God for every day.