Goodbye Jesus

How Secular Family Values Stack Up

Fweethawt

Meh, I'll answer end's question. He, unlike Ironhorse, provides meaningful responses.

End, by robust I mean an atheist's morality is not fickle, and does not change with his theological paradigm. Generally, I've found good atheists to be consistently good to people without bias. Christians, on the hand, are good at helping only Christians, and are contemptuous of non-Christians.

I will admit that younger, less finished Christians are as you say. Hopefully we all get it in the end....no pun intended.

To the former....don't know what to say here Bhim...it just changes with the culture rather than theological understanding. One is fixed, one is not.

Which one is fixed and which one isn't, End?

Please specify and then say why for each case.

Thanks,

BAA.

p.s.

I note that you're in dialog with Miamia, the Prof, Bhim, the Dude and Jeff.  

But not me.

May I know why that is please?

• Super Moderator

So moral religious behaviors can do too much harm? As in the behaviors I cited before?

So moral religious behaviors can do too much harm? As in the behaviors I cited before?

yes, of course.

but some of these behaviors are required by the bible, are you saying that the bible should not be followed in all cases?

In the following thread, End3 argues that obedience to god is more moral than preventing genocide.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/66227-subjective-morality-a-case-in-point/#.VzPDvoQrLIU

Moral behaviors based on subjective beliefs--that's the problem here, not culture, nature/nurture, or religion (per se).

With Christianity it goes further than just subjectivity, Prof.

Then we are talking about 'moral' religious behaviors based on subjective beliefs...

...about events and people whose existence must be accepted by faith because no corroborating historical evidence for them exists. 

Guest end3

yes, of course.

but some of these behaviors are required by the bible, are you saying that the bible should not be followed in all cases?

M, I defer to not understanding in these cases....whether it be context or translation or lack of revelation. I do, however, subscribe to the Bible and Christianity being the best fit for what I have understood of my life experience. I think about the best we can do is act faithfully in what we believe will not harm and promote life for others.

Guest end3

Meh, I'll answer end's question. He, unlike Ironhorse, provides meaningful responses.

End, by robust I mean an atheist's morality is not fickle, and does not change with his theological paradigm. Generally, I've found good atheists to be consistently good to people without bias. Christians, on the hand, are good at helping only Christians, and are contemptuous of non-Christians.

I will admit that younger, less finished Christians are as you say. Hopefully we all get it in the end....no pun intended.

To the former....don't know what to say here Bhim...it just changes with the culture rather than theological understanding. One is fixed, one is not.

Thanks,

BAA.

p.s.

But not me.

Not trying to avoid you BAA. You typically require a much more in depth response and typically I don't have much time to really sit down and contemplate. Please don't take it personally.

yes, of course.
M, I defer to not understanding in these cases....whether it be context or translation or lack of revelation. I do, however, subscribe to the Bible and Christianity being the best fit for what I have understood of my life experience. I think about the best we can do is act faithfully in what we believe will not harm and promote life for others.
fair enough,if that's what you choose to believe, those are indeed acceptable tenets to live by, my confusion I guess lies in your claim that people who act good are acting religiously,whether they know it or not, but when the bible demands something that goes directly against your very positive beliefs, it must have been lost in translation. i'm not saying this is a bad way to be,in think that it's better if you don't stone your children for disobedience, or rape and pillage at gods command, but you can see my confusion. If you don't see the bible as the unerring word of god, that's good I guess.

Thanks,

BAA.

p.s.

But not me.

Not trying to avoid you BAA. You typically require a much more in depth response and typically I don't have much time to really sit down and contemplate. Please don't take it personally.

Thanks End, I won't.  :)

Btw, you seem to be more mellow, more reflective and more thoughtful of recent weeks.  Good for you and may this continue.  goodjob.gif

Thanks,

BAA.