Goodbye Jesus

Shutting Down The "god Must Have Fine-Tuned The Universe" Argument

hockeyfan70

You've probably heard the argument about the universe existing because of God because of how improbable it could have happened by chance as well as how fine-tuned the universe is and that there is no way that it could have done it on its own?

Here's a good video that helps debunk that argument. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Good video, but it leaves out what I think is the best argument against fine-tuning. and that is the fact the the "fine tuned universe" arguments are backwards.

Simply put, the universe and earth aren't fine tuned for life.  Life is fine tuned for the environments that it finds itself in.  Life exists in its various forms on this planet because it is of the type of life that can exist here.

Creationists or those that believe in some sort of theistic cosmology and evolution love to throw out those incredibly high numbers in their probabilities, and then they say that the odds are so high against life that it couldn't be by accident.  They always leave out 4 words though, the word "life" should be followed by "as we know it".

I did appreciate when he referenced how unlikely that it is that any of us was ever born, but he didn't go far enough.  Every one of our fathers produced an average of 1000 sperm cells every second after they went through puberty until the day they died, or will die.  This slows down in old age, but the rate of production in early life is incredibly high.  The exact sperm had to be released at the exact moment during what was usually at least 2 decades of sexual activity with a woman that was capable of conceiving, along with 100-200 million of its potential brothers and sisters, and was the one that won the race to create you.  You go back just a few dozen of generations and the odds of you existing exceed a googol to 1, and that doesn't even factor in the fact that every woman has about 1,000,000 egg cells.  Clearly events with a very low probability of happening do actually happen. 

• Like 2

Yes, good video. I've always been amazed at how so many physical constants had to be just right for any kind of matter at all to result from the Big Bang. Clearly though, this does not 'require' there to be a creator-god. Once again, we can neither prove nor disprove such a being. And of course there's still the question of how such a being could exist - how did God come to be?

So I guess there may or may not be a creator-god and I'm still an agnostic atheist...

HTF does anyone know if life is super rare or super abundant when we can only barely gaze upon the planets in our own microscopic solar system? Fine tuned or not fine tuned for life? I'd like to know how anyone can conclude such a ridiculous thing. We're specks upon specks of dust and God wants your money.

According to the book I'm reading (A Brief History of Everything), he concludes that based on how many galaxies are out there, that there are most likely millions of planets that would be able to support life. It's just we won't know because they're way too far away to visit and even see.