Goodbye Jesus

Christian Quiverfull Leader Hosts Retreat To Arrange Marriages For Kids, All Without Their Consent

Fweethawt

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/05/05/christian-quiverfull-leader-hosts-retreat-to-arrange-marriages-for-kids-all-without-their-consent/

shutterstock_156630890.jpg

For Dude,

Vyckie Garrison has an article up at Raw Story detailing a stomach-turning scheme from Quiverfull patriarch Vaughn Ohlman. Ohlman is setting up a “Get Them Married” retreat for fathers to arrange marriages for their teenage children — without their consent.

Who wants to bet these people also rage about the abuse of women in Islam?

• Like 4

Get them saddled with responsibilities they're not ready for when they're young so they'll be dependent on mom and dad for as long as possible. Too much time working to provide for their too-young family and they won't have time to think about whether any of this makes sense. That's the theory, anyway. Oh, and I almost forgot - keep young mom pregnant almost continuously so she won't have time to think about it either!

Get them saddled with responsibilities they're not ready for when they're young so they'll be dependent on mom and dad for as long as possible. Too much time working to provide for their too-young family and they won't have time to think about whether any of this makes sense. That's the theory, anyway. Oh, and I almost forgot - keep young mom pregnant almost continuously so she won't have time to think about it either!

Gotta keep breeding and indoctrinating, breeding and indoctrinating, cranking out new cult members faster than others can deconvert!

• Like 1

Better pregs and poor than in sin happy and educated

They totally tried to do that with me at my old church, so I'm pretty sure you're spot-on.

Funny story...  I once knew this man, Vaughn Ohlman, very well.  He was my neighbor growing up on our religious commune.  He and I were friends and shared a hobby together.  I could tell you a lot of funny stories about him, his wife, and his kids, but I don't want to put so much personal information on the intertubes.  He had a relatively child-like mentality, and lacked adult maturity...  but that was decades ago...  And that's all I will say about that...

I find small comfort in that no one can force the kids to marry anyone without consent. But seeing as they've likely been raised neck-deep in the cult their entire lives, most of them probably believe it's god's will that they marry whoever Dad says they will, and legalities don't really make a difference to them. Anyway, I've read so much stomach-turning Christian nonsense that this doesn't surprise me a whole lot.

Who wants to bet these people also rage about the abuse of women in Islam?

I'm sure you're right. That said - and I don't mean to condone them - as long as they aren't bombing anyone I will still take a hundred of these guys over a single Muslim.