Goodbye Jesus

I Want Some Inspiring Humanist Or Atheist Books

Blindsighted

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that are inspiring about science, humanism, atheism, the natural world? I need some uplifting reading.

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan (1995) is an excellent lay introduction to critical thinking and the scientific method, among other things.

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne (2009) is a great survey of evidence supporting the biological theory of evolution.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (2006) is a interesting survey of certain issues relating to religion.

Those are popular/lay books.

I find much information in standard college textbooks on particular subjects, say Astronomy, Anthropology, World History, etc.

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan (1995) is an excellent lay introduction to critical thinking and the scientific method, among other things.

Ditto. 

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is amazing. Lots of stories of incredible scientists I had never heard of. It's kind of inspired me to start working on another project - now that I'm not at church 24/7, I have lots of free time - putting together a ten minute maximum per episode fun science video series. Looking at different sciences, talking about some of the incredible stories you find in this book, and more.

I would agree with the recommendations already made. To which I would add: any unbeliever, whether ex-Christian or not, who is not familiar with the life and works of Robert Green Ingersoll should be. Actually, any intelligent, educated person should be. As well as his books, and books of his collected writings and speeches, this looks like a terrific site to learn more: http://www.theingersolltimes.com

Thanks for the recommendations. I've read the facts and philosophy type books. I want something uplifting. To inspire me to be better from a completely secular viewpoint.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've read the facts and philosophy type books. I want something uplifting. To inspire me to be better from a completely secular viewpoint.

Why?

Why?

Reading the news is depressing. I want to read encouraging and hopeful things about people. And since I don't believe in the supetnatural, I'd like it to come from a secular point of view.

Why?
Reading the news is depressing. I want to read encouraging and hopeful things about people. And since I don't believe in the supetnatural, I'd like it to come from a secular point of view.

Murders, bombs, crashes, scandal and bad news sell papers. There are however a number of online sources that focus on publishing GOOD news (no, not that good news) so maybe you could look into some of those. There are a lot of people doing positive, inspiring things.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that are inspiring about science, humanism, atheism, the natural world? I need some uplifting reading.

I would recommend encountering nature in its reality, not just on a page. Get out in the wilderness for a day and that will be extremely uplifting.

I totally agree! Nature is the one thing that really healed me.

Guest Leah

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is a great book for any non-theist, focusing solely on how to successfully complete life without God.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlas Shrugged is a good one, yes, but if you want an even faster read I'd go with her short-novel: Anthem.

Forgot to add... Any book on world theory is great. If you learn about the world and how it works, it will not only boost your confidence, but also give you something to think about as you go on your daily routine of living. A good one that I am currently reading is called An Introduction to the World-System Perspective by Thomas Richard Shannon.

Thank you all for responding. This is very helpful.