Goodbye Jesus

Washington Congressman Drops "insider" Information, Says Americans Are Dumb Sheep

dangitbobby83

None of this should surprise any of you guys, but I figured I would drop this here.

Article

The book comes out the end of this month.

Oh, whoops. lol

Totally missed it!

You never know if these types of things are real or not, but the book doesn't seem to be revealing anything not already known. 

Interesting article. I wonder if our own situation is much better: this is from a British paper well known for alarmist takes on certain issues and you will note the sidebar full of random celebrity gossip. They don't call it the "Daily Fail" for nothing.

I guess when we have a society which has enough people at ease that they don't have to care about the real problems of the world, and which does not encourage a great attention span to really look into matters, then of course we will get things like this. But is that any excuse?

I would only half agree with the congressman in question about extremism in politics. Yes, we need people able to think through an issue and for pragmatic reasons work together here necessary, but the trouble is it's often the truly radical who have the necessary ideas to get out of the rut. Unfortunately (or should that be fortunately?) I wonder if they are the kind to work within the system, indeed rather want to replace it.

Nothing new in the article. People who take an interest in politics figured out what the Congressman is confessing to a long time ago. 60 minutes did a similar revealing story a few years ago. I think it was a Congressman from Ohio who had recently been elected that sat down with a 60 minute reporter to reveal what really goes on in Congress.

The average citizen isn't engaged & doesn't care. The nature of the problem is such that it probably isn't fixable anyway.

Nothing new in the article. People who take an interest in politics figured out what the Congressman is confessing to a long time ago. 60 minutes did a similar revealing story a few years ago. I think it was a Congressman from Ohio who had recently been elected that sat down with a 60 minute reporter to reveal what really goes on in Congress.

The average citizen isn't engaged & doesn't care. The nature of the problem is such that it probably isn't fixable anyway.

Yeah I agree. Anyone who takes half an interest in politics or at least somewhat cares about the problems knows all this goes on and also realizes that in order to fix it, more people need to care. Trying to get people to care and/or getting people to attempt to compromise or look at the issues is almost as difficult as convincing a christian their religion is BS. 

The basic problem is that "representative" government is hopelessly outdated and broken. We continue to cling to the myth that it works, when it plainly does not work for anyone except a tiny elite who can afford to buy the votes of the people who are supposed to "represent" us.