Goodbye Jesus

"nonbelievers Cannot Understand The Bible"

SkepticalDaniel

It never fails! Every time a "nonbeliever" points out some horrible sentiment in the Bible, Christians respond with this little circular argument:

1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

This is by far the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• Like 3

One must live in a constant state of denial to be a Xian.

• Super Moderator

The 40,000 varieties of Christian sects attest to the fact that Christian believers can't understand the texts either.

The 40,000 varieties of Christian sects attest to the fact that Christian believers can't understand the texts either.

Touché! 

Why do they even bother with proselytizing then, if only true Christians can understand any of it? 

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

That verse is just one more way that christians stroke their own egos...."I'm special and you're not!  Neeener-neeener-neeener."

That verse is just one more way that christians stroke their own egos...."I'm special and you're not!  Neeener-neeener-neeener."

I hate being taunted by Christians.

It never fails! Every time a "nonbeliever" points out some horrible sentiment in the Bible, Christians respond with this little circular argument:

1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

It's the disingenuous claim of "I have special access and you don't."  It makes them feel important and excuses them from any need to think for themselves.  It's just another lie in the long list of lies put forth by theists.

• Like 1

It's the disingenuous claim of "I have special access and you don't." It makes them feel important and excuses them from any need to think for themselves. It's just another lie in the long list of lies put forth by theists.

As Mark Twain once said, "It ain't the parts of the Bible I can't understand that bother me, it's the parts I DO understand."

• Like 1

It's the disingenuous claim of "I have special access and you don't." It makes them feel important and excuses them from any need to think for themselves. It's just another lie in the long list of lies put forth by theists.

As Mark Twain once said, "It ain't the parts of the Bible I can't understand that bother me, it's the parts I DO understand."

In my limited anecdotal experience, most theists I converse with (most of those belonging to a various Christian sects), are quite ignorant of the Bible generally and specifically and woefully ignorant of its history, any sort of textual criticism and its flaws and contradictions.  Willfully ignorant folks are not ones I rely on for accurate information, meaningful ideas or rational thoughts.

"This is by far the stupidest thing.."

Hey. You're breaking free! Keep acknowledging the stupid things you've read, and why you think they're stupid!

Christians just want to be right. They don't want to feel shame for not understanding their God's word, because that would make them inferior followers.

Yes, good article. Makes sense to me. Although by the same token I think religious people sometimes have more "emotional intelligence" than many of us godless types.

• Like 1

Hosea 13:16 for the non-believer goes like this: They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open....

Hosea 13:16 for the spiritually discerned Christian: Jesus loves and nurtures all people.

• Like 2

^ this. All day long????

Hosea 13:16 for the non-believer goes like this: They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open....

Hosea 13:16 for the spiritually discerned Christian: Jesus loves and nurtures all people.

Most religions celebrate and promote tribalism.

The truth is that "former" believers are the ones that actually do understand the Bible. They are the ones that have studied & researched it from it's beginnings & have confirmed it is neither literally true or historically accurate. They have also discovered it's origins are purely human & that there is nothing divine or supernatural about it.

Therefore, they have become sufficiently informed to not allow a hoax to control their lives.

• Like 3

Amen

Guest Furball

Wins the thread. 

giphy.gif  dancing+cat+gif.gif

"The sword is the sword of the spirit, the little ones will be dashed to the ground by the slaying of the spirit, and the pregnant women are feeling the burning of the bosom....."

Slain in the spirit. So that's where that comes from. lol.

Yes, it's an incredibly stupid argument that only serves to set up a wall around the believer in order to keep him from having to actually answer challenges against problems with the Bible.

I think Muslims argue that the infidel (non-Muslim) can't really understand the Koran either, which would mean that Christians are wrong to reject the Koran because they don't understand it. If the Christians would actually think about stuff like this, then they'd realize how incredibly stupid it is.

• Like 2

Yes, it's an incredibly stupid argument that only serves to set up a wall around the believer in order to keep him from having to actually answer challenges against problems with the Bible.

I think Muslims argue that the infidel (non-Muslim) can't really understand the Koran either, which would mean that Christians are wrong to reject the Koran because they don't understand it. If the Christians would actually think about stuff like this, then they'd realize how incredibly stupid it is.

Christians DO think about these things. Many of them end up here like you and me.

I only wish more would do so

^^^ Of course some do, and they become like us. Most don't think about it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the believers that don't understand the bible. Using belief to understand anything is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Yep it's not a book you think you get your head around the first time you read it (That's what they say!) Actually it's not so hard to understand, it's all there in black and white.
  • Like 1