Goodbye Jesus

I Lied In An Interview :-(

Wittyusername

I had an interview the other day and the interviewer (who was wearing a crucifix) asked me what religion I am. I'm foreign you see, and my name does sound sorta muslimy, so we can't have that, don't you know!

I know it is totally illegal to have been asked that but I was shocked and just blurted out 'Christian' she went on to ask 'what kind, Catholic, Pentecostal ' and I just said 'Baptist but not practicing'.

I felt like such a sell-out but I really need a job and didn't want to debate religion with an interviewer wearing a cross.

That's infuriating! I thought it was illegal as well.

• Like 1

Can you file an anonymous complaint? 

It's illegal, you should not be inclined to answer at all as is your right.http://www.businessinsider.com/11-illegal-interview-questions-2013-7

Rights go only as far as they are enforced.

If he refused to answer, and there was reasonable suspicion that it was on that basis then he would have a case I think. I'm not versed enough on the legal processes to comment on what that would look like.

I just know he has the right to remain silent on his religious views in an interview, and such questions are illegal.

She's in the UK, so I'm not sure, but in the US, your rights in this area only go as far as you can afford to defend them. The company can simply make up a BS reason why you didn't get the job and if you sue, you'd better be willing to be out of pocket a sizable amount of money. If you can get the ACLU to defend you, you're better off, but you're still locked out of the opportunity for that particular job; probably for years. 

• Like 2

I had an interview the other day and the interviewer (who was wearing a crucifix) asked me what religion I am. I'm foreign you see, and my name does sound sorta muslimy, so we can't have that, don't you know!

I know it is totally illegal to have been asked that but I was shocked and just blurted out 'Christian' she went on to ask 'what kind, Catholic, Pentecostal ' and I just said 'Baptist but not practicing'.

I felt like such a sell-out but I really need a job and didn't want to debate religion with an interviewer wearing a cross.

Tell them whatever you think they want to hear. It's just survival. Dont overthink it. We might have to 'sell-out' now and then to get something we need, but consider too that every day your interviewer lives in a world of religious delusion and fear while you don't. Let the religious people dwell on shame and guilt. You're free from that baloney.

• Like 6

Even when I was a minister, I had to lie in my job interviews on things that I knew what the general christian consensus was. Like homosexuality, women in leadership, things like that. It bothered me at the time, but I also knew that I wouldn't get a second look if I told them my beliefs were contrary to theirs.

I understand the unfortunate intellectual dilemma asked of you but I think you gave the best answer that could even be considered "true". If your background is baptist but you aren't practicing, then that's the truth. It says nothing about what you believe. So don't beat yourself up, you did what you could.

• Like 2

In an interview if someone asks me an inappropriate, nosy, or illegal question, I won't hesitate to lie about anything non-verifiable.  And i'll do it with a smile on my face and without a shred of guilt.   

Remember an employer is not your friend - the only reason you are there is so they can use you for their purposes, and they will not hesitate to toss you out in the alley dumpster like a used dishrag once they are done with you.  They owe you nothing and you owe them nothing.

This isn't likely to come up again, but if it does (for instance if they call you in for another interview), you could say "Is there a particular denominational outlook that is essential to performing this job?"

• Like 1

You're not a sell out. You shouldn't have been asked that, but like someone else said, it's survival.

This isn't likely to come up again, but if it does (for instance if they call you in for another interview), you could say "Is there a particular denominational outlook that is essential to performing this job?"

That's a great reply.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all, but it hits a nerve with me that we can't be truthful because of people's stupid prejudices against those of us who don't believe in fantasy creatures.

I once interviewed for a job at a non-union shop. The interviewer asked me if I felt someone should be promoted because they have the better job performance or because they have more seniority. I said, "Job performance!" Easy answer. :) Not a complete lie, really. Personally though, I think job performance and seniority go hand in hand. But I knew the answer he wanted and saying it helped get me hired there.

Later on I quit that dump and got a better job at a union place. :) Then I told THEM what THEY wanted to hear. It worked out pretty good most of the time. :)

You don't have to drink the corporate kool aid...just pour it in, smile for the boss....then spit it out when you get home.

• Like 1

You did fine, hun. I would feel kinda bothered about it at first if i were you, I absolutely hate lying and being dishonest about who I really am. But sometimes situations come up where you just have to do that. It wasn't a bad answer and i doubt they're gonna ask you more details about your beliefs after you get hired or if you get a 2nd interview. And I totally second what GuyGone said.

Ooo I'm surprised they asked! Not good.

I wouldn't bother about not being honest, you were on the spot and you were honest in that you're definitely *not* a practising baptist :-)

I can understand the relevance of the question if you are applying for an ecclesiastical post.

For any other job, the veracity of your answer is as relevant as was the question, so I really wouldn't worry about it.  The interviewer had the answer her questioning deserved.

• Like 1