Goodbye Jesus

What If ... ?

diggindiddy

I just wanted to share with you a small piece of my thinking today :)

What if Christianity is true ? What if you are wrong ? Some of you were asked this a lot, or maybe like me, you asked it to yourself when you started to doubt. Suddenly, I remembered my wedding.

What if it rains ?

I remember stressing like a bridezilla and asking everybody this question at some point. What if it rains ? The truth was, we really wanted to have an outdoor wedding. We wanted something really particular. It was a celtic-medieval themed ceremony, and everything fun we had planned was taking place outdoor (turnament, medieval games, roasting wild pig...) The vow exchange itself was making no sense to me indoor, I wanted to be barefoot on the grass and everybody sitting on the floor in the field. What if it rain ? It was in spring, and it can always happen. What if it rain ? I was freaking out and looking at the weather predictions every day.

At some point I stopped. I just accepted the fact that if it rained, I would be very disappointed and nothing would be just like I would like it to be. Once I accepted that, I went on with my planning. What was the other solution ? Plan an full inside wedding just to be on the safe side ? I thing we would rather have been taking our vows in the rain. That's the thing about your wedding : it has to be about you. If it's not about you, then it's not your wedding. It's just a wedding.

So we went for it, because we would had too many regrets not to. It was about us, who we are, what we want and what is true to our hearts. We went for it, and it was an amazing day. It did not rain, everything was perfect. It was a very beautiful day.

So what if Christianity is true ? Well, then I'm wrong and I'm probably going to hell. But just as it was a reasonable thing to hope it would not rain on our wedding day on the date we had picked, it is still a reasonable thing to say that Christianity is most probably all made up. Like my wedding, life has to be about you, otherwise it's not yours, it's just a life.

It's my life, it's our life. In the end, it's us, humans, who live it. If there was a god, he still wouldn't be living this life, it would still be us.

My life changed two month ago, when I finally told god : I'm taking the risk of pissing you off, because this risk seems reasonable to me. I really told him that. It was kind of my last prayer.

So, that's my daily wisdom guy :) thank you for reading.

XXX

DD

• Like 5

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

• Super Moderator
So what if Christianity is true ?

Yes, so what.

So what if (fill in the blank) is true? You filled the blank with Christianity because of where you happened to be born.

If Christianity were true, I would try to have a conversation with every snake and donkey I see. And I'd probably have a satyr for a pet. I always feel bad for the satyrs since everyone always forgets about them.

I just wanted to share with you a small piece of my thinking today smile.png

What if Christianity is true ? What if you are wrong ? Some of you were asked this a lot, or maybe like me, you asked it to yourself when you started to doubt. Suddenly, I remembered my wedding.

What if it rains ?

My life changed two month ago, when I finally told god : I'm taking the risk of pissing you off, because this risk seems reasonable to me. I really told him that. It was kind of my last prayer.

So, that's my daily wisdom guy smile.png thank you for reading.

XXX

DD

I remember 'telling God' he was just going to have to deal with my decisions because I wasn't going to keep apologizing to him and being afraid anymore. The God who supposedly had a wonderful plan for my life and wanted a personal relationship with me never replied to this, never appeared, nothing. As usual.

Worries are sometimes like brick walls that you can't get past. Until you take a sledgehammer and knock it down. Knock down negative imagination with positive imagination.

Happy to hear you knocked down that brick wall. :)

• Like 1

This brought to mind a quotation from a fantasy book near to My heart:

If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died.

IMO the best response to the plethora of what-ifs that believers besiege us with is a hearty "Meh" and a shrug.

• Like 1

What if there really is an infinity of dimensions, a multiverse? Mathematics can show it, but how does reality express it? Umm... This is what perplexes me. Then I started thinking, well, what if each one of us, the "I", the "me", the "ego" is a universe? Ok, maybe.

I guess I don't give a shit about christianity except that I have to deal with the occasional zealot. 

Astreja, I can't find the title of that book. What is it called?

What I got out of your post, diggin, is that if Christianity is true, we're going to hell (or to heaven if the Universalists are right, and both are awful) so we might as well use the time we have and make it meaningful. Hope I got that right.

What I got out of your post, diggin, is that if Christianity is true, we're going to hell (or to heaven if the Universalists are right, and both are awful) so we might as well use the time we have and make it meaningful. Hope I got that right.

Something like that :) More exactly, I meant that we should not prevent ourself to go in a personally meaningful direction because of fear when it is reasonable to think that the scary thing is not likely to happen.

This is the kind of things I find efficient for anxiety. For instance, when I used to freak out about my companion having a plane accident, repeating myself "he is fine, he is alive, don't worry" did not work so well, because deep down I knew that there was no way I could know for sure. When I started telling myself things like "you have no particular reason to believe his plane crashed, so he is most probably alive and well" my anxiety lowered. In the same way, when I am freaking out about Christianity being true and me being doomed, I give myself the reasonable doubt talk.

woohoo.gif

"Meh" might be the perfect answer to an apologist bringing up Pascal's wager. 

"What if Islam is true? What if Hinduism is true? What if I die going to Dairy Queen today?"

Meh. Meh. Meh. 

I cannot and will not live my life in fear of "what if's" because I do not have the ability to see and understand the entirety of history (from past to future), human choice (if it exists) and "god". If there is a being that understands all of that, then he should be able to understand me and that understanding should allow him to forgive me of whatever misunderstandings I have. If not, the this being is a dick and I choose not to worship it/relate to it.

I think that's my newest response to either Pascal's Wager or when the bible get's tossed around - Every knee will bow, etc. etc. I guess if every knee will bow, then I'll be bowing with everyone else. But because that's a "what if" question, I will not choose to bow in this life just to hedge a bet. That's intellectually dishonest and living my life in fear.

• Like 1