Goodbye Jesus

Nearest Thing To An Honest Appraisal...

Ellinas

Well, as is no secret, and has been mentioned before, I accompany Mrs E to the local Gospel Hall Sunday by Sunday and remain tight lipped over questions of belief. Hangover from a mis-spent youth, basically.

So, this morning we had a little conversation.

She remarked that it was a nice morning and it would be a pity to waste it. To which I replied that I would go and get ready for a trip to the beach.

Now, it is Sunday and the nearest beach is nowhere near the Gospel Hall, which is, presumably, why she decided to tell me that such a trip would not be good for my soul. Which, in turn, led me to point out that sitting in a Gospel Hall does my soul no good either.

What ensued was a short investigation of motives for attending, during which I suggested to her that it was not for the benefit of her soul, but the maintenance of her social network - a point which she conceded albeit couching it in terms that her opportunity to have such social interaction was good for her soul. In other words, she gains some personal, psychological benefit.

Which, actually changes everything and nothing. I now have the confidence that we attend only in order to maintain the social structures in which she was raised - and that is a position with which I actually have no great issue. And it confirms that, unless and until she sees her way past those structures, this will continue - which is a pain in the fundement.

• Like 1

Does Mrs E going only for the social benefit make it less soul-searing to attend?

No.  Hence it changes nothing.

However, it confirms to my mind that I am right to take the approach I do and may permit a way through this in due time.

• Like 2

My wife and daughter are attending a new church - my daughter's friend goes there - but I have yet to go. I have a feeling that at some point I will be asked to go, and I might but I know my wife knows it will make me uncomfortable for a lot of reasons, so perhaps she won't.

When she told me that the band started the service with the song "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode, I tried to be quiet but I ended up saying "Did they realize that that song is actually anti-religion?" Anyway, it's off to a bad start haha.

"Personal Jesus" played at a church?!

They could play "Every breath you take" too I suppose...

• Like 1

I told her that if they do a message about Jesus turning over the money changers' tables, they should play "Whip it, whip it God".

She was not amused.

• Like 6

I told her that if they do a message about Jesus turning over the money changers' tables, they should play "Whip it, whip it God".

She was not amused.

Maybe not...but I'm betting many of us here are amused. :D

• Like 2

They could play "Every breath you take" too I suppose...

About twelve years ago I attended the Austin Stone and they did play it once. It was weird for me even then.

If you've yet to go, avoid like the proverbial plague.

In my case, we married whilst I was still an enthusiastic member.

"I told her that if they do a message about Jesus turning over the money changers' tables, they should play "Whip it, whip it God".

She was not amused."

Hockey!  You funny boy!

and BRAVE! eek.gif

• Like 1

My wife and daughter are attending a new church - my daughter's friend goes there - but I have yet to go. I have a feeling that at some point I will be asked to go, and I might but I know my wife knows it will make me uncomfortable for a lot of reasons, so perhaps she won't.

When she told me that the band started the service with the song "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode, I tried to be quiet but I ended up saying "Did they realize that that song is actually anti-religion?" Anyway, it's off to a bad start haha.

HF, I just went and watched the Youtube video of this song with lyrics. I'd heard the song before somewhere but never all the way through. Not to go way off topic on Ellinas' thread, but why is this an anti-religion song? IMHO, the lyrics could go either way. Is it because of the band itself (of which I know nothing), or something else?

... Not to go way off topic on Ellinas' thread...

Be my guest.  I've no complaint.