Goodbye Jesus

The Radical Theology That Could Make Religious Freedom A Thing Of The Past

Fweethawt

Here it is, folks! The Christian equivalent of ISIS. And they're still pluggin' away...

https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

Though it’s seldom mentioned by name, it’s one of the major forces in Texas politics today: dominion theology, or dominionism. What began as a fringe evangelical sect in the 1970s has seen its influence mushroom — so much so that sociologist Sara Diamond has called dominionism “the central unifying ideology for the Christian Right.” (Italics hers.) That’s especially true here in Texas, where dominionist beliefs have, over the last decade, become part and parcel of right-wing politics at the highest levels of government.

So, what is it? Dominionism fundamentally opposes America’s venerable tradition of church-state separation — in fact, dominionists deny the Founders ever intended that separation in the first place. According to Frederick Clarkson, senior fellow for religious liberty at the non-profit social justice think tank Political Research Associates, dominionists believe that Christians “have a biblical mandate to control all earthly institutions — including government — until the second coming of Jesus.” And that should worry all Texans — Christians and non-Christians alike.

Yeah, Dominionists are scary. I have heard that there are a lot of these lunatics in the military.

Thank you Rushdoony! <3

• Like 1

"“be able to influence and control” the “mountains” in order to “establish God’s kingdom.”

Holy sh*t!!!

And some dip-wad fundies (ok...MOST dip-wad fundies) cannot seem to look at what the radical Muslim a-holes are doing and draw a correlation. 

I have been listening to some of my fundy fams spew this crap and did not realize it was an entire movement. 

Thanx for bring this up, Free!

I remember this rising back in the 80s and how much of the church opposed it at the time. I think within a few years they actually invited a speaker to present it as truth. He said that "the truth was RAPED away from us", and I wondered at the time what the hell that even meant besides using a strong word to try and push his point. I never did think much of the Heritage movement that claims the founders were adamant Christians, because I knew too much about American History and the stances that the founders took against Christianity, just as others stood for it.

I'm thinking I got the lite version of this in school.  It all seems very familiar but the term "dominionism" isn't something I recall.  It was all sort of put under the umbrella of the Great Commission and all that.  Which, honestly, sounds less ominous.

mwc

• Super Moderator

Yes, they are scary.  Even though this video is about 10 years old, I highly recommend it.  One of the key things I remember is that at the end of the dvd, they listed both the leaders and some up-and-coming names in politics, business, and military who are in the Dominionist movement and who were in attendance at the major Dominionist conference.  Those names are all over the headlines now.  They are definitely the christian version of ISIS and they have insinuated themselves throughout our entire society.  Scary indeed!

SILHOUETTE CITY is an immersive journey through the recent history of American apocalypticism. Using archival video, movement propaganda and original investigative material, the film tracks the movement of right-wing apocalyptic style from the margins to the mainstream, into the military and beyond. In the midst of a steady loss of power on the political right and destabilizing economic crises, apocalyptic right-wing populism gathers force. Movement propaganda reaches massive audiences with great speed, across multiple platforms.

One of the most incisive and powerful examinations of the Religious Right’s gradual but decisive hold on political power in the United States…Seamlessly weaves the voices and analyses from prominent religious leaders, scholars, and practitioners, and makes its own subtle but persuasive argument about the nature of theo-politics in a post-9/11 world.

– Jeffrey Robbins, editor, The Sleeping Giant Has Awoken: The New Politics of Religion in the US

http://www.silhouettecity.com

There's a good user review here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259226/

"Take back Houston for faith, family & freedom!" (on the podium in the photo). Freedom for whom? Them.

Oh god. My dad is one of those people who thinks "separation of church and state" means protecting the church from the state, not preventing the church from contaminating the government. >.>

Americans are currently leaning so far away from fundy Christianity, though, that I kind of doubt this thing is really going to take power. Not that we shouldn't be on our guard, but I'm not poised to take up arms quite yet.

Even Jesus said something like... "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's." He clearly made the separation.

This nation was founded on greed and lust for money. Underlying that, Satanism, specifically Freemasonry.

• Like 1

^

You believe Freemasonry is Satanic? Isn't that, y'know, typical fundie-talk?

There's no such thing as "Satanism" in the way Christians think. A wide variety of occult philosophies and practices exist, that could be referred to as "Satanism" but that's stretching it.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Even Jesus said something like... "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's." He clearly made the separation.

This nation was founded on greed and lust for money. Underlying that, Satanism, specifically Freemasonry.

I agree with everything you said except the satanism part.  Satan is just as much a man-made invention as god is.