Goodbye Jesus

Free Hate Speech

Lilith666

Pastor Steven L. Anderson posted a video to YouTube saying that at least it was fifty "sodomites" and "pedophiles" who died in Orlando. He said that he does not support vigilante violence because it's against the law, but that gay people should be executed by the government "through the proper channels." YouTube has removed it for violating its policy against "hate speech." So unfortunately, I can't post a link here.

Silencing Anderson will not make him stop having his opinion. It won't change the minds of people who think like he does or of people who actually plan to kill gays. But it will make him and others feel they're being persecuted and cause them to become even more determined to hang on to their bigoted beliefs. Furthermore, trying to destroy expression of an opinion you don't like shows how afraid you are of that person's belief. Are we really going to respond to evil people by not just making them band together, but letting them know we fear them? That is how people like Anderson and the Orlando shooter gain control.

Instead of scrambling to stop anyone from speaking their minds, we need to push back against intolerance with kindness. Donate blood, give money to a shelter for homeless gay teens, even be compassionate to homophobic people. Hateful people need someone to show them how to be loving. Don't be a doormat, but don't lash out just because someone who is more miserable than you can probably imagine decided to make you the misery-dumping target of the day. Gay people especially should be gracious to homophobic people because of the terrible opinion they have of us. Sometimes they just haven't been taught differently.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking, "It's not our responsibility to do their parents' job for them. They are choosing to be jerks. We can't change anyone." Okay, we can't change anyone, but we can encourage them to change themselves. We all have different circumstances, and for some of us that means growing up in a home where tolerance is not valued and closed-mindedness is taught. Many of us here were also anti-gay at some point. People like the shooter lack so much humility and compassion that we should try to make up for them.

This probably sounds really preachy. Sorry. I just get so frustrated when people decide that hammering someone down is a good response to that person being a jerk, instead of countering their nasty attitude with something positive. I've got plenty to work on myself. smile.png

Steven Anderson has a right to express himself just as much as the rest of us do. His opinion itself doesn't have any power unless we give it power, and one way to do that is by making him look like a victim who has been shut down by the establishment. Attacking words, not actions, sets a precedent for prosecuting thought crimes and censoring whatever we subjectively find harmful.

When someone shows meanness, instead of just shutting them up, it's our job to answer with the opposite. We need to have faith that human kindness and tolerance, not censorship, can beat hatred.

Edit: Minor wording changes.

I hope you're all doing all right and that none of you were affected by the killings. Hugs to everyone.

People laugh at Pastor Steven Anderson and call him a closeted homosexual, but there's absolutely nothing funny about what he's teaching.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

People laugh at Pastor Steven Anderson and call him a closeted homosexual, but there's absolutely nothing funny about what he's teaching.

Indeed. I've got a pretty strong stomach, but that guy might just be the most vile piece of shit I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. All that said, I do pity him.

Religion is the problem, not the solution. Cheers!

Know Thyself!

Indeed. I've got a pretty strong stomach, but that guy might just be the most vile piece of shit I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. All that said, I do pity him.

He's not going to be a part of my world, I can guarantee you that. His words will have no power over me unless I give them power!

It's impossible to define hate speech. Any attempt to label and ban an idea as hate speech will inevitably open the door for veritable facts to be banned.

It's impossible to define hate speech. Any attempt to label and ban an idea as hate speech will inevitably open the door for veritable facts to be banned.

Best thing to do is ignore them.

That pastor using the ot when he needs it and I'm sure he doesn't use the ot when it works against his particular agenda item. How do more people not see through such a blatant sham/scam!? They place more value on belonging to a group than honesty and consistency. Un f'n believable. Beyond my ability to comprehend. Smh.