Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Never Left

quinntar

So Christian's, you say Jesus has to return but he lives in you now by spirit.

Then he never left!

Ok, I'll play. "Because he still has to destroy the World so that he, and we, can rule properly on the New Earth! And we have to send you stupid Atheists to Hell because you didn't believe!"

Ok, I'll play. "Because he still has to destroy the World so that he, and we, can rule properly on the New Earth! And we have to send you stupid Atheists to Hell because you didn't believe!"

It's going to be funny when he does return, every Christian will instantly hear him in stereo.

There's not going to be a world left when he does return.

I'm still playing.

"Don't you know? After he destroys the Old Earth, he will create the New Earth and rule it, along with we Chosen of course,  for a thousand years!"

This is the Christian fantasy.

Nowadays it's mostly an Evangelical fantasy. Traditional Christians don't seem to emphasize the Second Coming, the Rapture and Revelations all too much.

That's yet another thing that's highly ironic about the "Good news". Haven't y'all heard? The World is about to end, great innit?

Nowadays it's mostly an Evangelical fantasy. Traditional Christians don't seem to emphasize the Second Coming, the Rapture and Revelations all too much.

That's yet another thing that's highly ironic about the "Good news". Haven't y'all heard? The World is about to end, great innit?

Not all Christians emphasize this, but most Christians are expecting the Second Coming. If there is never a Second Coming, then Jesus either lied, or he was deluded. It's the linchpin holding Christianity together. No one gets to Heaven until after the Final Judgement, which is aposteri to the Second Coming.

I'm still playing.

"Don't you know? After he destroys the Old Earth, he will create the New Earth and rule it, along with we Chosen of course, for a thousand years!"

This is the Christian fantasy.

But Jesus body is not in heaven, so what's up there that's not down here. He doesn't have to come back anywhere to make a new earth, he can just morph from your body.

rjn, here's this from http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/15590/do-all-christian-traditions-expect-a-second-coming-of-christ

Yes. Every significant Christian tradition affirms the return of Jesus. *

The Nicene Creed, adopted by the Universal manifestation of the assembled church in 325AD and accepted by just about every mainline Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox church with which the average Westerner will most readily identify affirms: He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

Of the non-Nicene denominations (Coptics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witness, Christadelphians, etc...) all of the major ones also see Jesus' return as a given. It is clear in Scripture, and thus the only denominations that are even on the fence about it are those which do not believe the Bible to be a relevant source of theology.

This would include Unitarians and that bugaboo of this site, Christian Atheists. (If you haven't heard of the latter, don't worry, Id never heard of them either)

Damn, never heard of Christian Atheists.

People believe in old jesus because they don't know what else to do.  Most of them don't really know what a belief in jesus really means anyhow.  Pretty much you just send prayers if someone is sick, dying or something and you get to go to fluffy cloud heaven when you finally croak.  Once there it's all good and you just hang out with people you think you want to hang out with forever.  New Earth?  Who needs that?  Heaven is where it's at.

The whole devil thing and apocalypse are sort of the stuff movies are made of.  Scary stories.  Maybe they're real.  Maybe not.  It really doesn't matter since believers don't have to deal with that stuff anyhow.  It doesn't matter what the bible says because most people don't know or care what it says.  What matters is what they believe and they believe they're exempt which makes them exempt.  That's how belief works.  It's not fact based as we all know.

mwc

People believe in old jesus because they don't know what else to do.  Most of them don't really know what a belief in jesus really means anyhow.  Pretty much you just send prayers if someone is sick, dying or something and you get to go to fluffy cloud heaven when you finally croak.  Once there it's all good and you just hang out with people you think you want to hang out with forever.  New Earth?  Who needs that?  Heaven is where it's at.

The whole devil thing and apocalypse are sort of the stuff movies are made of.  Scary stories.  Maybe they're real.  Maybe not.  It really doesn't matter since believers don't have to deal with that stuff anyhow.  It doesn't matter what the bible says because most people don't know or care what it says.  What matters is what they believe and they believe they're exempt which makes them exempt.  That's how belief works.  It's not fact based as we all know.

mwc

I am still trying to figure out which god ironhorse believes in. It can't be the Bible god. Besides, whould you rather spend eternity with inquisitor general Torquemado or Marilyn Monroe?

The one he grew up hearing about from his parents.

In a 1000 yes or so " any day now right Jesus?"

I am still trying to figure out which god ironhorse believes in. It can't be the Bible god. Besides, whould you rather spend eternity with inquisitor general Torquemado or Marilyn Monroe?

I haven't read all that much by him but I'm sure he believes in his version of bible god like most everyone does.  The one that works for him.  It's no different than anyone else does and no different than anyone else here has done even though we all thought different at the time.

Also, we all know as believers that the god that drowned the world and wants to unleash some end times apocalypse on the world is some amazing, loving, thing beyond all comprehension.  By simply believing we're immune from that wrath.  It's like the guy who puts out his hand and splits the stampeding herd.  He's fine but everything else is trampled.  Believers see the show of faith in the outstretched arm while non-believers see the mass destruction of the herd.  Thing is believers always believe the herd needs to stampede so the person can outstretch their arm while non-believers ask if there's simply an alternative to stampeding altogether?  So much destruction just so believers can demonstrate their faith.

mwc

In this thead,  What Would Make You Leave Your Faith, I offered ironhorse a thought experiment:

It is a fine sunny day in in May. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a 100 foot figure, magically appears on the White House lawn. He's dressed in a flowing white robe and looks a lot like Charlton Heston playing Moses. In a loud booming voice he procalims " I am Zeus and you stupid morons are really pissing me off. Bow down and worship me or I'll zap you all with my Thunderbolt." Helicopters appear and start blasting away but Zeus merely laughs. Lightning bolts are flying everywhere. Oh shit.

What do you think. Would he maintain his 100% certainty? I think that he would stand there, cross himself, and get blasted. I would run like hell,

I haven't read all that much by him but I'm sure he believes in his version of bible god like most everyone does.  The one that works for him.  It's no different than anyone else does and no different than anyone else here has done even though we all thought different at the time.

Also, we all know as believers that the god that drowned the world and wants to unleash some end times apocalypse on the world is some amazing, loving, thing beyond all comprehension.  By simply believing we're immune from that wrath.  It's like the guy who puts out his hand and splits the stampeding herd.  He's fine but everything else is trampled.  Believers see the show of faith in the outstretched arm while non-believers see the mass destruction of the herd.  Thing is believers always believe the herd needs to stampede so the person can outstretch their arm while non-believers ask if there's simply an alternative to stampeding altogether?  So much destruction just so believers can demonstrate their faith.

mwc

Even Believers of the same Denomination seem to each have a different god. When will evolve beyong this crap?

• 2 weeks later...

mwc

The scriptures teach Jesus returned to heaven in his resurrection body. The Holy Spirit remained on earth.

I believe he will return one day. It will be sudden and seen by all. It will make science fiction movies depicting an invasion look like a bad drawing. It will be a spectacle unlike anything we have ever seen.

I don’t know where General Torquemado or Marilyn Monroe will spend eternity. I do know that Torquemado suffered from failing health and Monroe was dealing with several issues.  I do not know their final thoughts or actions before their death.

The scriptures teach Jesus returned to heaven in his resurrection body. The Holy Spirit remained on earth.

I believe he will return one day. It will be sudden and seen by all. It will make science fiction movies depicting an invasion look like a bad drawing. It will be a spectacle unlike anything we have ever seen.

And god needs a sci-fi alien invasion force, why?

We know the story that says this all sort of happens but it really doesn't give the reason why it's required.

Does a god really need to mount a shock and awe campaign?  An (alien) enemy invasion force I can understand requiring such a thing but a god?  It doesn't make much sense.

Especially if we're to join them.  After all, we don't consider humans that switch to the aliens side good but traitors to all humans.  Why should this be any different?  Here comes an invading force only this time we should take their side?  How does that make sense?

mwc

People believe in old jesus because they don't know what else to do. Most of them don't really know what a belief in jesus really means anyhow. Pretty much you just send prayers if someone is sick, dying or something and you get to go to fluffy cloud heaven when you finally croak. Once there it's all good and you just hang out with people you think you want to hang out with forever. New Earth? Who needs that? Heaven is where it's at.

The whole devil thing and apocalypse are sort of the stuff movies are made of. Scary stories. Maybe they're real. Maybe not. It really doesn't matter since believers don't have to deal with that stuff anyhow. It doesn't matter what the bible says because most people don't know or care what it says. What matters is what they believe and they believe they're exempt which makes them exempt. That's how belief works. It's not fact based as we all know.

mwc

I don’t know where General Torquemado or Marilyn Monroe will spend eternity. I do know that Torquemado suffered from failing health and Monroe was dealing with several issues. I do not know their final thoughts or actions before their death.

It's all too confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

People believe in old jesus because they don't know what else to do. Most of them don't really know what a belief in jesus really means anyhow. Pretty much you just send prayers if someone is sick, dying or something and you get to go to fluffy cloud heaven when you finally croak. Once there it's all good and you just hang out with people you think you want to hang out with forever. New Earth? Who needs that? Heaven is where it's at.

The whole devil thing and apocalypse are sort of the stuff movies are made of. Scary stories. Maybe they're real. Maybe not. It really doesn't matter since believers don't have to deal with that stuff anyhow. It doesn't matter what the bible says because most people don't know or care what it says. What matters is what they believe and they believe they're exempt which makes them exempt. That's how belief works. It's not fact based as we all know.

mwc

I don’t know where General Torquemado or Marilyn Monroe will spend eternity. I do know that Torquemado suffered from failing health and Monroe was dealing with several issues. I do not know their final thoughts or actions before their death.

If you keep waiting for Jesus to show up and fix everything you'll never do anything to fix the here and now.

Well that's my point, Jesus is here living in Christian bodies all over the earth.

And god needs a sci-fi alien invasion force, why?

We know the story that says this all sort of happens but it really doesn't give the reason why it's required.

Does a god really need to mount a shock and awe campaign? An (alien) enemy invasion force I can understand requiring such a thing but a god? It doesn't make much sense.

Especially if we're to join them. After all, we don't consider humans that switch to the aliens side good but traitors to all humans. Why should this be any different? Here comes an invading force only this time we should take their side? How does that make sense?

mwc

Jesus and his magical flying toasters is coming!