Goodbye Jesus

No Filter

miamia

Being openly atheist on social media is a very satisfying experience. My mom knows now. My dad probably does too. And so does everyone else. It's really hard not to be a dick about it. I don't want to be that dick of an atheist. I kinda was the other day when some one went after my lgbt extended family member. And I owned. But it was bad. And I shouldn't be thinking about it in terms of winning an argument.

Today I was better. I responded to something and I was very concise and not a dick. Yay me!

I don't post memes, I don't talk about it unless it comes up, but when It does, I generally have something to say.

But seriously how do you guys handle it. It's really hard not to go overboard.

I don't want to be that dick of an atheist. I kinda was the other day when some one went after my lgbt extended family member. And I owned. But it was bad.

If they went after your family member for being lgbt, they are the dick, not you.

I usually don't speak about religion with the religious unless they bring it up.  If they open up the door on that subject it becomes fair game, and I can safely proceed without any feelings of guilt about hurting their feelings.  They're the ones that broached the subject.  There isn't really an "overboard" in this case, especially if the christian in question is of the hell-believing variety.

• Like 3

Miamia, place the two Maxims there as well. Cheers!

Know Thyself

Be Temperate

I'm fantastic at being diplomatic and just tend not to voice these things, or do so *very* carefully.

My partner however really struggles and has been a bit inconsiderate, OTT, outspoken and occasionally just a dick about it. It means he's rubbed people up the wrong way and they are now less likely to listen when he *does* make a sound argument or have a valid reason to say things. I'm talking about years ago now, in the beginning, he is very different now, barely talks about faith or religion at all.

Having said that, he has never really shared memes or been ridiculously vocal about things on social media, it was more in real life conversations.

Oh and the "zombie jesus day", comment on easter, that did *not* go down well.

I don't want to be that dick of an atheist. I kinda was the other day when some one went after my lgbt extended family member. And I owned. But it was bad.

If they went after your family member for being lgbt, they are the dick, not you.

I usually don't speak about religion with the religious unless they bring it up.  If they open up the door on that subject it becomes fair game, and I can safely proceed without any feelings of guilt about hurting their feelings.  They're the ones that broached the subject.  There isn't really an "overboard" in this case, especially if the christian in question is of the hell-believing variety.

I know It's just a thing of mine to try and maintain decorum at all time and never respond to rudeness with rudeness. A solid argument would have been sufficient, but sadly, I stooped to some pretty scathing sarcasm at a few points. My friend who I went to bat for felt extremely supported and empowered though, so I guess that is something. She pm'd me to thank me

and thank you quadshet :)

I'm fantastic at being diplomatic and just tend not to voice these things, or do so *very* carefully.

My partner however really struggles and has been a bit inconsiderate, OTT, outspoken and occasionally just a dick about it. It means he's rubbed people up the wrong way and they are now less likely to listen when he *does* make a sound argument or have a valid reason to say things. I'm talking about years ago now, in the beginning, he is very different now, barely talks about faith or religion at all.

Having said that, he has never really shared memes or been ridiculously vocal about things on social media, it was more in real life conversations.

I don't think that TrueScotsman has a sense of humor. Besides, Ghost Story is more accutate. Cheers!

Laconic Phrase

A traveler from Sybaris, a city in southern Italy (which gave rise to the word sybarite) infamous in the ancient world for its luxury and gluttony, was invited to eat in a Spartan mess hall and taste their black broth. Disgusted, he remarked, "No wonder Spartans are the bravest of men. Anyone in their right mind would rather die a thousand times than live like this."[36]

I am usually extremely diplomatic, and used to have a very hard time speaking up with things I disagreed with, now, It's like, how the heck do I dial it down a notch...  At least there is now open dialogue with my fiancee about religion. he is more of a "the universe/math is god/no strings attached god" type person, but he used to be really guarded about talking about it with me, he is a lot more agnostic than I took him to be at first. As it turns out he is pretty incredible at dismantling apologetics and can be pretty critical as well when it comes to ridiculous or harmful beliefs. He is a lot more vocal now than he was before I started speaking up and  we both have a tendency to get pretty scathing when it comes to religion. 

Aren't you going to post the conversation where you owned the guy who attacked your family? Sounds like you were being the right kind of jerk, miamia.

It was a young woman, and honestly I'm kind of embarrassed about how passive aggressive and dickish I was -.- she wasn't being horribly mean like, "fags go to hell" or anything like that, just repeatedly arguing a really ignorant viewpoint in response to a meme about "Ireland legalized gay marriage, gets double rainbow, Texas got a flood after banning it, god has spoken." She replied to it knowing that said poster has 2 homosexual siblings, and when one of them spoke up, and said, hey actually those passages were actually referring to PEDASTERY not homosexuality, she just kept being really ignorant and I was like, no. I'll try to find the post