Goodbye Jesus

Pat Robertson On Spanking

megasamurai

I've had a hellish childhood because of Mr Jerk's extreme views on spanking, and I'm not talking about punishment for hitting sibling, breaking something expensive, or something like that. I'm talking about the "spank the gay out of you" kind of spanking. I couldn't do anything "effeminate" in fear of the hand. That included crying or screaming or showing any emotion when I had been suffering from emotional trauma most of my life. I was constantly reminded that I was made a man, a straight man. The use of force to ensure my heterosexuality made it worse.

Another oddity is that Robertson says that a parent that never or rarely spanks kids is an abusive parent. Underspanked kids become misogynist sociopaths. If just dad spanks and not mom, the child will become a misogynist because the child did not learn to fear women. I doubt that every kid who never got spanked or only got spanked for major offenses turns out to be nutso. If I ever become a parent, I know I will be hesitant to spank, and my mom, who loves Robertson, will probably think I'm an abusive parent for being afraid because overzealous spanking traumatized me (although the constant yelling was worse).

I just feel the need to let out my early traumas and hopefully heal. I know I'm currently interested in women (the programming worked, but I'm sure I would have been heterosexual of my own free will.) Is anyone else familiar with spanking as a tool to enforce "correct" sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or whatever?

• Super Moderator

I got spanked as a kid for expressing doubts about christianity. Mainly from mom, since dad was never around.

Straight guy here...

Got the shit beat out of me regularly as a kid. Lots of times for things that my older brothers did since at times they weren't around to witness the initial anger of my dad. Being there made me a convenient target of said anger.

Fast forward...

I'm 47 yrs old with 2 sons that have grown up not knowing what it's like to be physically (spanking or other) and mentally (yelling or other) abused by either of their parents and they are doing extremely well.

Bottom line -- there's no reason to abuse children in order to get them to turn out a certain way. Abuse is an outlet for the abuser at the expense of the abused.

• Super Moderator

+1000 Fwee!

The point of all this -- Pat Robertson is an idiot!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Pat Robertson could use a good spanking himself.

yep. Daily as a kid. Not for major offenses, like hitting, lashing out or breaking things, doing dangerous stuff etc, but for questioning, taking too long to "jump to attention" any defiance whatsoever, saying "no" (what kid doesn't). 

My mom was a "spare the rod spoil the child" type. now as a old woman, she claims she only did it on a few occasions, that she decided it was wrong and that " the few times she did it must have really stuck in my head"

Multiple times, daily. hysterics from her, screaming, crying, laughing, sarcasm, trying to elicit pity, trying to guilt trip, telling me I was evil, telling me I was possessed, trying to get my father to spank me again for "bad behavior" I had done hours before, when he got home from work (bless his heart, he would walk me upstairs, tell me to yell and cry, and strike his own hand with whatever she had given him to hit me with instead)

She compared it to her being a gardener in god's garden with the tree she had been given, and "pruning" the bad branches off the tree. because I was an evil, defiant, stubborn little child and she felt it was her holy duty to beat it out of me, all while hysterically crying and yelling at me. But I was indomitable and by the time I got big enough to fight back, she still hadn't accomplished what she wanted to with me. Then it was constant harassment and isolation from peers, anything worldly, etc. if I said one thing wrong, she would argue and yell all day long, and If I refused to agree with her, literally think the way she thought I should, well that few hours I was supposed to spend with my friend the next day that I had to beg her for two weeks to schedule? cancelled. after school activities? cancelled. the last time she tried to go after me physically I was 13, sitting on the couch. she lunged at me after I told her she was wrong and to leave me alone. I shoved her off with my feet, she fell and broke her wrist. after that she threw stuff at me a couple times, but she never laid a hand on me again. She would elicit pity from all the people at church telling them how evil I was, how I was on the path to hell, how hard she was trying and how much I put her through (acting like a normal child, oh the horror) they believed all of it. a year later, I had purposely driven her so mad that she finally let me move in with my dad. The sudden absence of constant stress caused by her that I had been so adjusted to actually threw me into a pit of depression. I didn't know what to do with myself. All my mental energy before that point had been focused on perpetually fighting back against her mental and physical attacks. I lost all motivation. I couldn't bring myself to accomplish/stick with anything because my only motivation had been her relentless harassment. It took me years to recover.

HAHAHA yeah and now she tells me, "You turned out so good even though you moved in with your father, you are so sweet and gentle and intelligent, I was so scared for you, I prayed every day, GOD MUST HAVE REALLY PROTECTED YOU."

HAHAHAHAHA. what a fucking joke.

sorry. yeah. just a little bitterness there.

• Like 1

Straight guy here...

Got the shit beat out of me regularly as a kid. Lots of times for things that my older brothers did since at times they weren't around to witness the initial anger of my dad. Being there made me a convenient target of said anger.

Fast forward...

I'm 47 yrs old with 2 sons that have grown up not knowing what it's like to be physically (spanking or other) and mentally (yelling or other) abused by either of their parents and they are doing extremely well.

Bottom line -- there's no reason to abuse children in order to get them to turn out a certain way. Abuse is an outlet for the abuser at the expense of the abused.

My dad was a lot like you. I don't know if he was physically abused, but he was certainly mentally. He determined not to put my brother and I through it. I did receive a few spanks when I was very young, but he always sat us down and explained why we were being punished, didn't do it out of anger, and it was never hard enough to hurt more than our pride. 

Straight guy here...

Fast forward...

My dad was a lot like you. I don't know if he was physically abused, but he was certainly mentally. He determined not to put my brother and I through it. I did receive a few spanks when I was very young, but he always sat us down and explained why we were being punished, didn't do it out of anger, and it was never hard enough to hurt more than our pride. 

Good for him! Your dad sounds like a pretty good guy.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I try to be the father I wish I'd had.

• Like 4

When I was a kid I had a neighbor who raised his kids the James Dobson way. At times you could hear screaming from their apartment as one of the kids was being beaten, and the oldest son had nervous tics due to the way he and his siblings were being raised. The kids' mother eventually left the father after they wound up in a drunk driving accident with him ( luckily the kids and mother came out of it with minor injuries the worse being a broken arm). That was thirty years ago, and sometimes I wonder what became of those kids. 

My godless and liberal gay ass country (note: even though I indeed think my country IS silly, I'm being a bit sarcastic here) outlawed spanking way back so it's not something that's socially acceptable here. Neither I, nor my siblings, ever had to suffer any physical abuse (the closest thing would be our parents pinching our ears or grabbing our arms and giving us a bit of shake when we'd done something really stupid. Yes, no worse than that) but parts of the older generation were not so lucky, and without saying too much, I can testiy that it was not conducive to their character. Friends of mine who grew up with abusive parents did not turn into well disciplined success stories either, but rather as corpses at the end of a self-tied noose or with syringe track marks all over their arms.

Yay for child abuse!

Pat Robertson? Seriously, what a fuckwit.

• Like 1