Goodbye Jesus

So Frustrated!

Randinem

We sent our adoption paperwork to state a few months ago. They called today and want a referral letter from a pastor before they can approve us to adopt from foster care. I can tell you, and my kids will agree, I am a much better parent now than I ever was as a church goer. It's already been almost 3 years that we have been waiting because we switched from a religious based adoption agency to state. We are already foster parents and are frequently asked to sit in on panels to teach others how to make connections with bio parents because we are damn good at it. I just want a son :(.

That's really odd. Is there a separation of church and state thing going on there? It seems like the state should not be asking for that. Can you just tell them that you do not currently attend a church and ask them if there is another reference that would qualify?

Ugh!  That is heartbreaking!  I am so, so sorry!! sad.png  And why would you need a letter from a pastor if you're now through the state?  That makes no sense!  What about from a therapist, or a teacher, or someone else who works with children and families in some capacity and can vouch for your integrity as a parent?!  Why must it be from a church?!  That just seems really odd.  I can understand why you're upset about this - I would be, too.  It's very unfair.

We are in a hardcore Bible Belt state. I know others who have tried and given up because of the difficulties as atheist. I'm sure it would be a problem if we lived in a different state. I should be able to find a way around it, but I know it will take time and a ton of effort and I'm so tired of waiting.

Is there a UU church near you?  They might be willing to help you out.

You could also contact the Freedom From Religion Foundation.  Their entire reason for existence is to fight violations of church/state separation.  http://ffrf.org/about/contact/

The ACLU might also take interest in your situation, can't hurt to try to get their help.

• Like 1

If a state agency is requiring a pastoral reference, then that is highly illegal! I'd be extremely pissed, too!

Yup. Time to call the ACLU for advice. But I'd sure try to find a way around it without a confrontation because they'll fight back and delay it for years.

We sent our adoption paperwork to state a few months ago. They called today and want a referral letter from a pastor before they can approve us to adopt from foster care. I can tell you, and my kids will agree, I am a much better parent now than I ever was as a church goer. It's already been almost 3 years that we have been waiting because we switched from a religious based adoption agency to state. We are already foster parents and are frequently asked to sit in on panels to teach others how to make connections with bio parents because we are damn good at it. I just want a son sad.png.

"Dear Southern State Adoption Agency, I dont know any pastors. Here are a number of alternative trustworthy people who can vouch for my character."

"Dear Attorney Generals Office or State Office of Investigation, the State Adoption Agency feels that I'm good enough to foster children for them for X number of years but for some reason I need a pastor's recommendation letter to adopt. This is a needless delay for an absurd reason. I have provided sufficient documentation to prove my character. Please check into this problem. Thanks."

Thank you everyone. I received the paperwork today and she had found our old pastor letter and used it. For now, I am going to leave it at that, but once this is over I do want to get involved in advocating for other non-religious families who want to adopt. I have read so many stories similar to mine while trying to figure this out and it is just sad.

• Like 1