Goodbye Jesus

China Puts Final Touches To World's Largest Telescope

Fweethawt

I'm so glad America is spending its tax dollars to build football stadiums, Noah's Ark theme parks, and other important projects, rather than wasting it on this stupid "science" junk. 

• Like 4

If you're going to build a radio telescope in a bowl-shaped hollow, why not take advantage of some very nice (and very big) examples on the far side of the Moon?

Moon%20far%20side%20and%20Earth.jpg

Which will be well screened from radio interference from Earth by 2,160 miles of moon rock.

Nice idea and everything but, I don't think we have a way to get the materials up there. Or do we?

Logistical discussions aside simply putting something like that on the Moon is just way too cost prohibitive at this time.

mwc

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/china-puts-final-touches-world-largest-telescope-160703080236077.html

The $180m radio telescope, the size of 30 football fields, is expected to be operational by September, state media says.

Good for them.  If they act like true scientists, they will allow access to the facility and the collected data from all who use it.

bornagainatheist,

Yes, I agree. I have read of such plans for the back side of the moon for both radio and optical telescopes once we have established moon bases.  The far side of the moon is excellent because of the decreased light pollution from the Earth, with generally no atmospheric interference, and also as you discussed -- many craters well-suited for large radio-scopes.