Goodbye Jesus

I Came Out To My Wife This Week!

TABA

Wow, this is huge. And I'm glad that it seems you're both either on the same page, on the way to the same page, or at least, on nearby pages. 

thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Oh, good. It's always a relief when a spouse doesn't respond with sobs and saying "I feel like I want to die!" when you tell them about your loss of faith, as happened in my case.

• Like 1

Wow, you're extremely fortunate to have had such a smooth experience with your wife. I was fortunate enough to deconvert from Christianity and return to the religion of my birth before getting married. My wife and I are both Hindus and yet we still have all kinds of minor arguments about religion, usually centering around my non-theism (atheism is far more acceptable in Hinduism than in Christianity, but it's still not viewed as ideal). Having been thoroughly steeped in evangelical Christianity, I can vividly imagine what kinds of discord can ensue if a spouse leaves the faith. I sense that you introduced your disbelief to her in stages rather than dropping a bombshell, and if so, your efforts appear to have paid off. I wish you both a smooth ride as you further explain to your wife where you're at in your journey away from Jesus.

• Like 2

Bless the Lard, Brother! I'm thankful that the Holy Spook was there hovering over you silently in His Bird Form to magically cause the discussion to go so well. Huge relief, I know. Glory!

• Like 3

My husband had a similar reaction and within a few months was more outspoken about his unbelief than myself. Good luck moving foward and congratulations. I know it's a big step.

• Like 1

Wow T&B - I am so happy for you that it went as well as it did. I am in the other camp where my wife has been completely devastated, assures me that no matter how hard I try our relationship will never be the same, and that without me having faith she can never be fully happy in our marriage. Granted we've got a lot of other issues too. I often wonder if the rest of our marriage was strong if my unbelief would have felt more manageable. Would you say that you guys had an otherwise strong and mutually fulfilling marriage apart from your change in faith?

• Like 1

I'm very happy for you that it went so well, ThereAndBackAgain! Best of luck moving forward as well!

Thanks, Lavendula!

My husband had a similar reaction and within a few months was more outspoken about his unbelief than myself. Good luck moving foward and congratulations. I know it's a big step.

Thanks for the good wishes, Randinem!

Wow T&B - I am so happy for you that it went as well as it did. I am in the other camp where my wife has been completely devastated, assures me that no matter how hard I try our relationship will never be the same, and that without me having faith she can never be fully happy in our marriage. Granted we've got a lot of other issues too. I often wonder if the rest of our marriage was strong if my unbelief would have felt more manageable. Would you say that you guys had an otherwise strong and mutually fulfilling marriage apart from your change in faith?

Yes, our marriage is good and we are best friends as well as a couple. My wife would surely deny this, but I suspect she loves me more than she loves Jesus. It doesn't hurt that I can cook a nice dinner, bring her a glass of wine after a long day, and, oh yeah, I'm better in bed than him too...

I'm sorry it's harder for you, my friend. I hope things get better.

• Like 2

I love to read such good news!  How wonderful it must be to have what seems to be harmony in the home when one of the two discloses the big secret.  I am very glad it worked out so well!!

• Like 1

That's great news, T&B!!!

I am jelous!

Not only is my wife over-the-freeking-top fundy but uses the doctrine to contorl family members as well as those in community service/politics/leadership.

Anyway - good on 'ya for coming out and here's to hoping that your wife joins you.

- MOHO (Mind Of HIs Own)

• Like 1

So happy for you, TABA! We had a rocky start when my DH shared his lack of faith first. Thankfully I was already on my way down that road anyway, so it wasn't too bad. Still took another two years for me to get fully on board, though. Unfortunately, now we've switched and he wants to hang on to church attendance (more as a nominal Christian) which I hate.

• Like 1

Holy shit, you did it! That's such a difficult challenge and you handled it so gracefully! I'm so happy it went so well! <3

Oh my goodness, this is wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you

• Like 1