Goodbye Jesus

They Walk Among Us

Sybaris

I've mentioned before that I was never a Christian but the insidious nature of Christianity and any religion for that matter is as revolting to me as I imagine it is for anyone who has deconverted. My family, both sides, identify as Christians but I don't think any of them go to church except on Christmas Eve and maybe Easter. So, the most experience I have had with fundy's are in church where the Pastor did all the talking. Outside of that, on an individual basis, religion was not part of the social transaction. This weekend I got full exposure to a large overtly fundy family.

My wife had worked for a Psychiatrist/Counselor/M.D. for 25+ years. He recently closed his practice and my wife volunteered to host his retirement party at our house. My wife loves this family and views them through a sort of Norman Rockwell lens. The Doc's family is very political. He ran for Congress in the 70's , lost. Has a brother who occupied Congress for a couple decades and I think another brother who served a term or two. His father was a well known psychiatrist with a nationally syndicated column. The Doc has four sons one of which is climbing the state political ranks and could be sitting in DC this time next year.

So the Doc's sons, their wives and children all descended on my home over the weekend. I swear if I heard Jebus once I heard it a thousand times. They spread it on everything like a kid puts sugar on cereal.  And speaking of kids,  all attend private Christian brainwashing academy's paid for by the Doc. They were good little Jebus-bots and I heard more than once, "Would Jesus want me to do this?". Many times I was told how blessed I was by Gawd to live on a lake, have a boat to take their kids tubing and was moved by Jebus to open my home to them on such a perfect sunny day from the Lard. All I could think was "Actually, no. My wife volunteered our home, some employment decisions after high school got me here and there's a high pressure system stalled in the region accounting for the lack of clouds and high temps."

Of course I was tuned into whatever political and religious conversations they conducted among themselves. They all love Trumps VP pick and the Trump speech because of course Obama is not a "true Christian",  has moved the country away from Christianity and now we're all paying for it with high crime, terrible economy and unemployment. That went on for at least an hour. The politicians wife toting a Ph D and a licensed counselor herself, asked the Doc how she could inject more of the Bible into her patients counseling sessions without being too obvious to the patient.  And of course the politician ran through his list of opponents and characterized them by their "spiritual wholesomeness". I found out today he is a big supporter of that Christo-Fascist organization, Focus on the Family.

It was a fascinating yet disturbing experience for me. I have never been around a group of people who openly exhibited such a skewed world view and attribute everything to basically the same thing as the Aztecs, ancient Greeks and Hawaiians did. Don't get me wrong, nice family, very well mannered and polite but the determination to guide the social construct of the country, and even covertly, the mental/emotional issues of patients through bronze age ideology is kind of sickening. It's an experience like this that illuminates the similarities in motivation for religious based social engineering performed by fundy Christians and those they fear the most ............ Muslims. As much as they think they are different they all want the same thing.

I felt like I had to take a shower after they left.

• Like 2

Guest Furball

The politicians wife toting a Ph D and a licensed counselor herself, asked the Doc how she could inject more of the Bible into her patients counseling sessions without being too obvious to the patient.   

Isn't this how brainwashing works - subtlety?

She should lose her license to practice for admitting to trying to convert someone without them picking up on it. 

This is truly frightening.

"..shower...."

Leaves a somewhat beach sand in your undershorts feel after. Pleased you good folk have opportunity for them to leave!

kL

Do they know you aren't Christian? If they do, their telling you that you were moved by Jesus to invite them in your house doesn't sound very polite to me.

Do they know you aren't Christian? If they do, their telling you that you were moved by Jesus to invite them in your house doesn't sound very polite to me.

I don't think you understand how this works ;). God makes all things possible (and all things allowed if done for his glory). It's Jeebus Jeebus all the time!

What annoys me is that they're always so "nice" and the kids are always so extra polite and well-behaved. Of course it's because they were all blanket trained and brainwashed, so it's all really creepy if you dwell on it too long.